Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Sticky Topic Huts, Bivvies & Shelters - South Island [North] (Read 12653 times)
StagsRoar
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Tikka T3 .270

Huts, Bivvies & Shelters - South Island [North]
Sep 21st, 2008 at 10:42am
Print Post  
This thread is for the posting of Huts, Bivvies & Shelters on the top half of the South Island of New Zealand.
Structures in this thread should be located North of Temuka - Fairlie - Tekapo - Pukaki - Mount Cook - Copland Pass - Copland River.
Hut postings should include The name/location of the hut, Grid Reference/GPS waypoint coordinates, a few minor basic details about the hut itself such as bunks, heating, accessories and if possible a brief description on the means and times to get to it.
This is not a forum of discussion about the hut/s but is merely here for a reference to that hut. Further discussions about the huts can be posted in the in the main section of the Huts section. Any postings that turn this thread into a discussion and detract of the nature and intent of this thread will be either deleted or moved.
Historical Huts are welcome but please indicate their availabilty for useage.
So feel free to add to this thread.
« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2013 at 9:02pm by StagsRoar »  
IP Logged

StagsRoar
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Tikka T3 .270

Re: Huts, Bivvies & Shelters - South Island [North]
Reply #1 - Sep 21st, 2008 at 11:35am
Print Post  
Hunters Hut

Hunters Hut located in the Wanganui Valley, on the West Coast of the South Island

S 43 13.591 E 170 45.126 (WGS84)

This hut is situated approx 5hrs walk from the road end up the Wanganui Valley of the West Coast of the South Island not far from the town of Ross. The 5 hr walk can be extended to longer depending on the conditions in which this hike is attempted. It is not a track up the valley so much as a route in which you follow the river up on the true right. Firstly you will need to park your vehicle at the road end next to an old quarry at the co-ordinates of S43*10.734 E 170*37.709. There is a track of sorts that you will eventually find near the start but along the way you will find a lot of boulder hoping along the side of the river. At the time of year I ventured this one it was extremely frosty and the rocks were covered with a solid shiney ice, so what should have taken 5hrs became 8hrs of hard slog. The tramp up the valley cuts in and out of the bush and it will be reasonably obvious when to stick to the rivers edge or cut into the bush. Don't try to climb high in the bush or negotiate bluffs over the top if it seems possible to do so - unless an obvious track takes you that way as the bush is particularily thick and arduous in places and you may be asking for an extension on the hike time. An hour or two after you start should bring you to Hendes Creek of which if you veer left up this for about 100 metres or so you will be able to cross a swing bridge and then proceed back down the creek and continue up the main valley. Carrying a Topographical Map for this walk is strongly advised and also helps in having an idea as to what to expect for this walk. The next bit of careful negotiating further up the valley will be Annoyance Bluff which will take you on a bush track up over and then climbing down the bluff again soon after in which you will hit Jones flat. The hut is located at the other end of this flat - again stick to the rivers edge when crossing Jones Flat as trying to wind through the scattered scrub is a bit of a pain. The last major bit of labour for this track is the cable box you will have to ride across this river on. Located at co-ordinates S43*13.359 E170*45.393 you will need to climb up and possibly hand reel the cable box to your side if it has not been fastened. There should be a metal clamp type implement in the box and once you climb into the box it is a free ride down to the centre of the cable over the river and then haul yourself on the upward strain of the cable to the other side. Be very careful of fingers on the cable and wheels of the box. It would be easy to severe a finger or two. Once across it is 5 mins walk back along the track to the hut which by now will seem like an absolute God-send. The hut has bunks and mattress for 6 people and is most frequented by the occassional Chamois or Thar hunter passing through. It has an open fireplace which you may just need as some times of the year the hut may only see about 2 or 3 hrs of sunshine due to the proximity of the mountains. Take your own gas cooker etc and go easy on the surrounding bush when fossicking for firewood.

Jones Flat

Blue Lookout

Type of shelter: hut

Sleeps How Many: 6

Reservation required: No

Cost: Less than $10

Available Year Round: Yes

Enclosed: Enclosed

« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2013 at 8:52pm by StagsRoar »  
IP Logged

12pointer
Forum Font

You haven't shot many,
if you havent missed
a few.

Reply #2 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 9:03pm
Print Post  

Slaty Creek Hut - Waiheke River

The Slatey Creek hut is a small 4 bunk hut with a lot of character. It was recently restored as close to original using timber slates etc.
The bunks are hand adzed timber with chain netting, there is mattressess provided and the bunks are amazingly comfortable.
It sits about 2 and a half to 3 hous with a pack on up the Waiheke River from its junction with the Tutaekuri River.
There is fresh water in the river only a few meters away.
Plenty of firewood for the open fire in the hut is always available in the form of driftwood in the riverbed, but dry wood in times of prolonged rain may be a problem. Also with alot of rain there will be all river, and no riverbed, but the hut is surrounded by bush anyway.
The hut is on the true left bank of the river just upstream from where slaty Creek runs out. I have been hut bound in this hut several times due to flooding in the Waiheke and being upstream from the Slaty Creek even that becomes uncrossable.
From "Freshmap the GPS co-ords are:
E2434807 N5850945
This hut can also be approached by tramping up the Doubtful River off State Highway 7 close to the Engineers Camp and going thru the Amuri Pass
These photos are scanned photos off cheap instamatic prints so i hope someone can post some better photos of this hut.

IP Logged

StagsRoar
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Tikka T3 .270

Reply #3 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 10:53am
Print Post  
Browning Hut

Located in the Richmond State Forest in the Nelson/Marlborough Region.

S 41 24.827 E 173 16.614 (WGS 84)

This hut sited at the above co-ordinates in the Browning Stream Watershed and is located about 3hrs reasonable walk in from the Hackett picnic area South-East of Nelson. Sitting at the Eastern foot of the Totara saddle this hut when I stayed there it appeared that the bulk of usage for it was Hunters after Fallow Deer which were liberated nearby many years earlier. It would also be fair to say that Deer numbers are minimal due to a very high hunting pressure placed on them from Nelson based hunters. The walk in from the Hackett Picnic Area follows firstly the Hackett Stream up for some distance before you swing east up the Browning Stream till you get to this Hut. There are a few ups & downs on the way but it isn't to bad. The Hut has bunks & mattresses for 8 people and has a fireplace. You will need gas cookers of your own and it is asked that you don't go clearfelling or raping the surrounding bush for firewood. And if you stay there then leave the hut in better nick than when you found it. I have posted a couple of pics of the hut and it's surrounds but I understand it has had a paint job since the pic was taken and is a paler colour now than then.

Sleeps How Many: 8

« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2013 at 9:04pm by StagsRoar »  
IP Logged

StagsRoar
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Tikka T3 .270

Reply #4 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 11:10am
Print Post  
D'urville Hut

Sited at the head of Lake Rotoroa in the Nelson Lakes Park

S 41 54.331 E 172 38.742 (WGS84)

This hut situated at the head of Lake Rotoroa in the Nelson Lakes is possibly one of the more quieter huts to visit in this area. Beginning at Rotoroa Village at the head of the Gowan River and the bottom of the lake there is several options available as to how you want to get to this hut. Firstly is walking. I have not done this walk but I am lead to believe that it is a walk from hell in that it can take 6 to 9 hrs depending on the condition of the track which I understand is not kept at it's best. This is possibly why this hut is not used as much as it could be. Another means of getting to this hut is via the water taxi service that runs from Rotoroa and will take you to the head of the lake for a price - a price that I think is far to expensive. I think it could possibly be cheaper to charter a light aircraft from Nelson and parachute out over the hut. The other option, if you have it available to you and the means by which I accessed this hut was to canoe to it. I had an open canoe and myself and another thought we would do a trip to the D'urville hut in it. For this we obviously had to pick our weather and times. The canoe trip cost us 5 hours or so with a few stops along the way. It is quite a long lake, more than it is wide. We done this trip in the height of summer and I have to say that the downside to this was the unbelievable amount of wasps in the bush. We stayed close to the west side of the lake and 50 - 100 metres out from shore all the way up the lake you could hear the bush humming with wasps. When we pulled in for breaks it tended to be short stops as they soon started to try and swarm you. It cost me a couple of stings non-the-less. Anyway after reaching the hut we found it to be a pleasant and comfortable hut of moderate usage with sleeping pads for 10 people and a wood burner stove that you have to fuel yourself. The lake itself is quite picturesque but there was a bit of traffic on the lake with boats going to and from the Sabine Hut on the opposite (East) side of the Lake at the head. The Durville River flows in on the west side of the head of the lake and has some Fly Fishing potential although on this trip it didn't hand me any fish on a platter. Worth the visit depending on how you want to get there and if you do go - then leave the hut in better conditiion than when you found it.

Sleeps How Many: 10

Our transport to the Hut

« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2013 at 9:04pm by StagsRoar »  
IP Logged

StagsRoar
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Tikka T3 .270

Reply #5 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
Lake Head Hut

Quick Description: Located at the head of Lake Rotoiti at the outlet of the Travers River - Nelson Lakes.

S 41 52.530 E 172 49.327 (WGS84)

This hut is sited in the Nelson Lakes area and entails a hike around the east side of Lake Rotoiti to the Lake head - hence the name of the hut. The walk begins at St Arnaud and is an easy couple of hours walk to the hut. It is all pretty flat going and I would recommend this walk for the inexperienced and/or young ones. The walk follows the lake around through Native Beech Forest and and doesn't leave the side of the lake for anything over 150 metres and any point until you hit the head of the Lake. There are tracks and huts further up the valley and so it's predominant users are mostly Trampers with a few Fishermen to boot. Fishing the Travers River is challenging and with a moderate to low Trout population it is fair to say that these trout are very people shy and are not the easiest to tempt with the Dry Fly. A very nice clear river with a few pools and riffles to spot and cast on. The hut is located at the lower end of this valley on the True Right tucked in against the bush edge and has bunks and mattresses for 30 people. Don't expect to much solitude if you go here. There is a wood stove and being a serviced hut you may find a bit of coal or wood cut up already. You will still need to take gas cookers for yourself mind you. One thing you will notice when you go here is it's proximity to the 6 Bunk Cold Water hut across the river. I have not been to this hut to comment on it but when I was at Lake Head hut the Cold Water hut looked liked it was being frequented mostly by people in boats - due to the fact there is a jetty in front of this one. A pleasant and relatively short walk this one and other walks and hut information can be acquired from the Department of Conservation Visitor Centre in St Arnaud. If you go to this hut then do your part in leaving it in a neat and tidy condition.

From the Jetty at the head of Rotoiti

Looking up the Travers Valley

View down valley towards lake - Hut at right

Sleeps How Many: 30

Cost: $10-$30

« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2013 at 8:46pm by StagsRoar »  
IP Logged

7mm 08 Gravy
Forum Senior

Stag Sign...<br />

Reply #6 - Oct 29th, 2011 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
12pointer wrote on Sep 23rd, 2008 at 9:03pm:

Slaty Creek Hut - Waiheke River

The Slatey Creek hut is a small 4 bunk hut with a lot of character. It was recently restored as close to original using timber slates etc.
The bunks are hand adzed timber with chain netting, there is mattressess provided and the bunks are amazingly comfortable.
It sits about 2 and a half to 3 hous with a pack on up the Waiheke River from its junction with the Tutaekuri River.
There is fresh water in the river only a few meters away.
Plenty of firewood for the open fire in the hut is always available in the form of driftwood in the riverbed, but dry wood in times of prolonged rain may be a problem. Also with alot of rain there will be all river, and no riverbed, but the hut is surrounded by bush anyway.
The hut is on the true left bank of the river just upstream from where slaty Creek runs out. I have been hut bound in this hut several times due to flooding in the Waiheke and being upstream from the Slaty Creek even that becomes uncrossable.
From "Freshmap the GPS co-ords are:
E2434807 N5850945
This hut can also be approached by tramping up the Doubtful River off State Highway 7 close to the Engineers Camp and going thru the Amuri Pass
These photos are scanned photos off cheap instamatic prints so i hope someone can post some better photos of this hut.

Just for you 12pointer....from earlier this year

IP Logged

StagsRoar
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Tikka T3 .270

Reply #7 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards