Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) stoat trapping notes. (Read 134584 times)
pyro

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: stoat trapping notes.
Reply #375 - May 20th, 2019 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Success at last!

I have been having a mare recently. I had been feeding out baits prior to Christmas and while they were being gobbled up there were still plenty of rats rooming around.

My suspicion was raised when I would put one block out and the entire thing had disappeared by morning, this is pinned to the ground in a pvc pipe.

I then moved in to trapping again, using peanut butter and victors. I ended up with many unsprung traps that the bait had been consumed.

On closer inspection the bait was being eaten by an army of tiny ants and potentially slugs given the amount of slime trails. Have you guys experianced this?

I checked the trap in the roof space last night and the peanut butter bait had been cleaned right off with out springing the trap. Time for a new bait!

I happened to be preparing a steak for tee, so sliced a bit of fat off and used that. Resulted in a nice fat rat this morning. I have changed the baits over on the rest of the trapsnthis morning.

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #376 - May 20th, 2019 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
Well done on the rat  Cool

Pyro are you running the ProVictor traps with the big yellow treadle ?

I was/am experiencing baits being eaten off the treadle on my Pro Victors so i have put the peanut butter further out on the treadle to make the trap more sensitive, also Cruz mentioned to Prolan the hinge so it isnt as stiff. I am catching a few more mice now..Its  either I find a baitless trap or Mickey having had a bad day !

Worth a look but i sure as eggs dont like working with the kill bar coming towards me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aql_gFGRGoI

IP Logged

pyro

Reply #377 - May 21st, 2019 at 8:18am
Print Post  
I have got the normal non pro version.

I may get a couple of mouse traps to see if they could be the culprit

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #378 - May 21st, 2019 at 12:54pm
Print Post  

https://deadrat.co.nz/shop-%26-order?olsPage=products%2Fvictor-trap
Great price.

To use peanut butter i would think you need the above Pro Victor traps and as i said stick the bait right out on the edge of the treadle to get ultimate sensitivity.

My guess...I think mice are your problem.

IP Logged

pyro

Reply #379 - May 23rd, 2019 at 10:01am
Print Post  
That is a good deal! I paid $10 each for mine at mitre 10.

I went out and check the two outside boxes after dark yesterday and there was a fat slug in each, so I am on the fence whether the baits are being taken by mice or slugs?!

A work mate is going to give me some smurf poo so we will see how that works

IP Logged

Cruz
Forum Senior

Cruz the Lab & Landcruzer
wheels

Reply #380 - May 23rd, 2019 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
I have always been keen on possum paste for ease of use in large numbers of traps at the Park - but currently trapping around the edge of our subdivision - four boxes down a 200m track - the bloody ants were cleaning me out overnight - so I have reverted to a peanut butter mixture used by a Mate at the Park who mixes it with rolled oats - and he has been catching stoats
So my new mixture is roughly 50% PB, 20% margarine 20% rolled oats and a slosh of vegetable oil to make it flexible - the rolled oats soak up the oil so you need a fair bit - chuck it in the microwave to melt it so you can mix it well
The rolled oats is to ensure the ants cant remove everything - always some rolled oats left on the trap for the next rat that checks it out
If you want to catch rats - be generous with the bait - it costs buggar all compared to all your effort - cover all of the yellow foot plate and a heap in front of the trap to get them interested - and if you catch a rat - put it on top of the box so the next one can check out his old mate - a dead rat is a powerful lure - 
This setup is also catching mice - put the trigger rod right over to the soft setting on the yellow foot plate -

He dragged it off the top and went inside for a feed

IP Logged

uk_exile
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #381 - May 24th, 2019 at 8:21am
Print Post  
Not often stoats but sometimes, are cages like this ok for possums and ferral cats? https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=2155229712
I've got a bach at Lake Clearwater (Ashburton Lakes) and there's a few around. Others have a mix of cage traps and DIY wooden boxes. What's best?

IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Donor Member

Have you ever hunted Middle
Earth?

Reply #382 - May 24th, 2019 at 10:57am
Print Post  
Trapping vermin and pests is an ongoing learning course. Smiley
Plenty of good tips on here ,if you go back through the thread. Got a rat with the old peanut butter standby 2 nights ago at home, trap in the garden, along with 5 other traps, four  different models. I have had success catching  feral cats in our block, using smoked kahawai, chicken, rabbit and venison, in Timms traps. Cage traps should work ok also, but remember they have to be checked every day.

Get as close as you can, then get a bit closer.

IP Logged

uk_exile
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #383 - May 24th, 2019 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
We'd only use them at weekends when we're there. I've borrowed a cage a couple times and it worked. I dispatched the caged possums and cats with air rifle. I know others take them for a 'swim' in the lake.  Just wanting to know best option of cage or trap before I buy.

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #384 - May 24th, 2019 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
I have not targetted cats specifically but if there is a chance of domestic cats then cage trap imo is the only option.

Another option for genuine ferals..

https://www.kiwisforkiwi.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/LC2770-SA2-Kat-trap-repo...

As shown.
The beauty of a trap like this is it can be elevated up a tree to avoid any sort of by catch such as a pet dog that someone may be out walking.

DOC type traps are not NAWAC approved for cats as front foot captures can occur.

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #385 - May 24th, 2019 at 8:57pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Banned

Reply #386 - May 27th, 2019 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
uk_exile wrote on May 24th, 2019 at 8:21am:
Not often stoats but sometimes, are cages like this ok for possums and ferral cats? https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=2155229712
I've got a bach at Lake Clearwater (Ashburton Lakes) and there's a few around. Others have a mix of cage traps and DIY wooden boxes. What's best?

we got a cage trap similar to that for our 4yr old he loves trapping but to young for legholds.  The one we got was about a hundred bux off trademe and the wee fella got 13possums and 4 Wild cats since january o and both the wifes pet cats  Grin Grin .  we just put cat biscuts or jelly meat in it and thats a good enough lure for both possums and cats.

cats are usually a prick to shoot in them cos they go nuts when you go near,  9/10 possums will be asleep and easy to deal with.

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #387 - Jun 23rd, 2019 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
TV1 tonight.. Cam Speedy was talking about 2kg ferrets  Shocked. I weighed one the other day and it was 1.5kg and that was huge, but 2kg !!!.. Not much would be able to fight that off.

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #388 - Sep 24th, 2019 at 8:34pm
Print Post  

https://predatorfreenz.org/makarora-valley-mohua/?utm_source=PFNZ+Trust+Newslett
er&utm_campaign=b68cddbe36-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_09_24&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0
_fee93e1adc-b68cddbe36-523747653&goal=0_fee93e1adc-b68cddbe36-523747653&mc_cid=b
68cddbe36&mc_eid=ac29df3f4f

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards