Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) stoat trapping notes. (Read 172472 times)
Weathered
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Amor Fati

Re: stoat trapping notes.
Reply #30 - Mar 11th, 2009 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
Wellington $47 each all assembled and shipped to us.  I like the natural process Chris and Traps use it is more like trapping than dumping boxes on the track which DoC do. We have total control of our traps and I am keen on killing as many stoats as I can get into the traps their technique is logical to a hunter

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

IP Logged

HiTop
Forum Font

Tops by dawn, a day in
heaven

Reply #31 - Mar 11th, 2009 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
The method they employed up the Hawdon was more akin to cluster bombing than anything else!!
Yes placing traps in the right position makes a huge difference in success.  You have to learn to think like your prey.  Don't think you will have that much trouble with getting the idea.  Those slinky sneaky little shites do take some nailing.  I used to catch quite a few on the coast when I was a young'n lining my pockets with possum money.  Even with a gin trap jaw closed across their mid sections they were ferocious little blighters.  The stink they let go is something you never forget!  I'd put it on a par with skunk but less volume Shocked Shocked Shocked
Often had to chuck the trap in a creek for a few days to make it usable again.  No self respecting possum would travel across that stench....  Just a conclusion I came to and it may not apply always but I think they used the possum tracks quite a bit.  Especially in more open areas like bracken fields etc.  Suppose they could motor along without getting wet and also out of sight.
HTH

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #32 - Mar 12th, 2009 at 11:01am
Print Post  
good stuff weathered, thats bloody interesting about the tagged stoat spending ten days on the trap line without getting caught, cunning little bastards, one day he will make the fatal mistake! Winkone thing that really lifts your catch rate is when you catch one, give it a real good rub around the inside of your tunnel, especially around its arse, the scent seems to attract or give confidance to other stoats.

IP Logged

Bon
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Mar 12th, 2009 at 11:05am
Print Post  
Good thread,trapping is so interesting and you just never stop learning. It's great reading various posts, without someone else posting in and rubbishing differing methods.  We may all benefit to some degree from this, experienced trappers and emerging trappers alike.

IP Logged

MEB
Forum Font

Reply #34 - Mar 12th, 2009 at 11:39am
Print Post  
Very good thread this. I've had a wander round with Chris on his land to check the traps. And i've had the pleasure to sit around with him of an evening, having a drink and a yarn and listening to the kiwi's call up on the ridge. It's worth the small effort of trapping to have the pleasure of kiwi calling of an evening. Cool
Nice one Chris

You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.
IP Logged

Daggs
Forum Font

The good life

Reply #35 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
Going through this topic with great interest, maybe looking at tendering on some predator work in the future.
Like weathered i are ready to soak up as much info/advice as possible

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #36 - Mar 22nd, 2009 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
Best advice is spend a weekend going with a professional trapper. My mate Graeme showed me so many tips. If you are using the blue noose traps smear hare blood over sides and inside. Really lifts the kill rates. Dont forget the road kill it saves a heap of time looking for bait. Particularly for ferrets or cats clear a bit of soil before you set the trap on it.Attracts them to activity.Beware of the sore legs and arms after getting on and off the bike whilst setting 50 traps. Far more strenuous than the gym. Cheesy

IP Logged

Wanderer

Reply #37 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
This may be of interest to you guys. Another 80 traps or so were set over the weekend. Area in blue is now mostly covered plus some other areas. Hopefully it's readable.

IP Logged

Oscar
Donor Member

Let Us Prey

Reply #38 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Go the NZDA!  Wink

There was a very good article on the project in the Straight Furrow:

Group effort to protect Blue Duck(Scroll to Page 10)

Keep up the great work  Smiley

Herbs before herbivores

Not all those who wander are lost

IP Logged

primer
Forum Font

Where is the Sika!!?

Reply #39 - Mar 24th, 2009 at 9:18am
Print Post  
Thats the one. Great idea.

IP Logged

Hillclima

Reply #40 - Mar 29th, 2009 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
The AHB have a best practice guidelines for trapping ferrets, many of the ideas can be transferred onto stoats and cats as well.

http://tbfree.ahb.org.nz/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=y8hjEziMG4I%3d&tabid=207

Also some regional councils will help support community groups that are undertaking pest control in some circumstances, so that may be worth investigating if you are  looking at starting up a control program.

IP Logged

ex-rabbithunter
Donor Member

Reply #41 - Mar 29th, 2009 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
Thanks for that link Hillclima - ive been doing ferret control for AHB for last 2 years and never seen that link. So have just printed it out and will read it tonight before starting back tomorrow.

"the only good Wallaby is a dead one"

IP Logged

kakariki

living life to the fullest

Reply #42 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
great stuff guys! i've got a mate trapping the crap out of the Retaruke Valley on the Wanganui River - he reckons his blue ducks are thriving.

there's a real hard-case couple in Southland who trap stoats as part of their jet boat operation - quite a cool idea, they have rigged 'flags' on their traps so that when they trap is triggered, the flag is raised, so they only have to check the flagged ones. Good idea when you're trapping from a river.

We're in town these days but we've got pheasants, paradise ducks and herons across the road - i wonder if we'd pick up any stoats? probably.

We need wilderness whether or not we ever set foot in it. We need a refuge even though we may not ever need to go there.
[Edward Abbey, "Water"].

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #43 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
allmost gauranteed karkariki, and once you have got a few you will probably get other species of birds moving in as well, go get em! Wink

IP Logged

kakariki

living life to the fullest

Reply #44 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
righteo i'll give it a go - and post up any pics of squished stoats.

I've had the odd double-up in a double set fenn of rat/stoat combo when i lived down South. one with the stoat still chomping on the rats neck - dead!

We need wilderness whether or not we ever set foot in it. We need a refuge even though we may not ever need to go there.
[Edward Abbey, "Water"].

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards