Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) stoat trapping notes. (Read 69431 times)
Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Re: stoat trapping notes.
Reply #270 - Nov 26th, 2017 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
Hi Padox, what sort of baits are you using ?

IP Logged

padox
Donor Member

Reply #271 - Nov 27th, 2017 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
Some eggs some meat dependant on the trap

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #272 - Nov 27th, 2017 at 3:47pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #273 - Nov 29th, 2017 at 12:20pm
Print Post  

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

Cruz
Forum Senior

Cruz the Lab & Landcruzer
wheels

Reply #274 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 9:28am
Print Post  
A month or so back my Mate and I drove through 13km of bush in a local body reserve to a spot that we wanted to hunt down the far end - they employ a contractor to do intensive pest and animal control and operate more than 1000 Doc200 boxes at a spacing of around 100m along the roadway and 100m down all ridges - high risk country for rats, cats and mustilids up there - what an amazing project the Council have invested in - the birdlife is very impressive 
The Doc200 boxes had a lot of flour mix around them - they target everything - the lure is flour with a cat lure mixed in. They find the flour is an easy and effective way to bait the traps. Over a 1000 traps so bait has to be cheap and easy to use. They also staple bits of rabbit skin in the boxes from about now.
What an amazing team of workers doing all the development and pest management in a place that size - rats, mustilids, cats, hogs and deer must hate it!  Wink

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #275 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 8:49am
Print Post  
Cruz wrote on Nov 30th, 2017 at 9:28am:
A month or so back my Mate and I drove through 13km of bush in a local body reserve to a spot that we wanted to hunt down the far end - they employ a contractor to do intensive pest and animal control and operate more than 1000 Doc200 boxes at a spacing of around 100m along the roadway and 100m down all ridges - high risk country for rats, cats and mustilids up there - what an amazing project the Council have invested in - the birdlife is very impressive 
The Doc200 boxes had a lot of flour mix around them - they target everything - the lure is flour with a cat lure mixed in. They find the flour is an easy and effective way to bait the traps. Over a 1000 traps so bait has to be cheap and easy to use. They also staple bits of rabbit skin in the boxes from about now.
What an amazing team of workers doing all the development and pest management in a place that size - rats, mustilids, cats, hogs and deer must hate it!  Wink

Wonderful. Makes my little contribution in the local park look a bit mean spirited, but if everyone does their bit it will go a long way. Pest free NZ might be unrealistic but we will certainly bowl some critters trying!

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #276 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
Finally got a stoat this morning in one of my traps set locally  Cool . I usually get about 5 rats to the 1 stoat but am struggling on the rats this year.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards