Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) stoat trapping notes. (Read 67342 times)
X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Donor Member

Have you ever hunted Middle
Earth?

Re: stoat trapping notes.
Reply #255 - Apr 9th, 2017 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
3 course meal for a stoat or ferret.  Grin  Good on you ,for doing your bit of vermin control.  Smiley

Get as close as you can, then get a bit closer.

IP Logged

Cruz
Forum Senior

Cruz the Lab & Landcruzer
wheels

Reply #256 - May 10th, 2017 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
Took the Cooey for a walk today at the farm - did a closeup job on this cute little buggar - but they do the damage - fresh bunny must be very tempting - got a third bunny in the Fenn6 today - a big bucket of pieces in the freezer now
Got this large cage fully wrapped in black plastic sheeting - warm, dark and dry in there - canít keep the hogs out either

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #257 - May 10th, 2017 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
I'm getting a steady trickle of these buggers in the cage traps. Pity there's not a market for their skins, cause boy they are pretty fine (but stinky).
With our temperatures now they seem to be less picky. One investigated  some 10 day old rabbit remains that the hogs had left behind. Another one bites the dust Smiley

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #258 - May 14th, 2017 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
Their skins are good for trout flies replicating an African water mongoose i.e. the hairs.

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #259 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
To good to loose this thread so i will bump it up with a bit of info.

http://predatorfreenz.org/tree-traps-good-alternative1/

Anyone targetting rats in trees ?

I know Cruz likes putting traps on angled fence stays.

Trapping section ?

IP Logged

pyro

Reply #260 - Oct 25th, 2017 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
I have a puriri growing over the deck that has a couple of branches within reach when standing on the table.
have a couple of Victor type snap traps that I have drilled a 5mm hole in each corner and use some 3mm cord to tie to the branch. Baited with peanut butter.
The tree is part of an upper canopy highway, pick up 1 a fortnight with bursts of 3 or 4 a week every few months.
Tree sets are great!
Cos I only have 2 and they are within 30s reach itís easy to de arm them in the morning and set them again at night. the tree is a tui meca so donít have to worry about bird strike

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #261 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
Well done pyro.

Who else has been catching pests ?

I have been getting the odd rat and mouse but no stoats for ages.

IP Logged

BJ

Reply #262 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
our cat has caught and killed 6 rats in the last 10 days

IP Logged

Cruz
Forum Senior

wheels

Reply #263 - Nov 11th, 2017 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
Great to have a picture solution for Photobucket - never thought I would see the old stuff on here again
Rats and cats keep invading the farm from neighbouring properties - Victor steel every 50m awaits the rats and always a cage to keep the cats dry - it took me a month to get the cat below - but they always make a mistake

A very productive post stay on the boundary produced a half-eaten rat - a few days later the culprit got caught - only weasel I have caught

IP Logged

Cruz
Forum Senior

wheels

Reply #264 - Nov 11th, 2017 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
Still making good progress on predators at the Park - 453 trap killed so far this year - I want to hit 500 by Xmas - 402 rats, 37 possums, 13 hogs and 1 stoat - got the stoat in a Snap-E with peanut butter
Finding it hard to get good results with the A24s - so trying out a few experiments - I changed all of the ALPs from chocolate to possum paste which has improved things - years of using possum paste for rats works well for me but the last year trying chocolate on Snap traps and in A24s has been a failure for me - but maybe I am doing something wrong
I have also started a process of shifting the A24s if they donít perform - a time consuming business but sometimes produces a good result - but just seems to kill the odd local resident and then goes quiet so needs another shift
I have also tried a few A24s beside Snap traps - both using possum paste lure - pictures are interesting but I make no comment

We have either boxed or covered all of our traps to prevent bait being washed off - it has made a huge difference - Snap-E traps continue to break triggers with monotonus regularity - simple but time consuming to replace the trigger in the field - but still the most user friendly trap - we have tried Gorilla traps but they also break and are mongrels to set when wet

Wonderful old Sentinel traps just keep waiting for the next victim - always a bit of possum paste on the bite block that they can smell

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #265 - Today at 7:14am
Print Post  

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #266 - Today at 12:17pm
Print Post  
Over the last week i have checked 40 doc 150 / 200 and 15 victor rat traps and not caught a single thing... the trappers dilema, is that good or bad ? Undecided

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards