Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) stoat trapping notes. (Read 69638 times)
padox
Donor Member

Re: stoat trapping notes.
Reply #240 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
Haha yea they go off with a bang don't have a setting tool or safety clip haha wonder what price our friends doc get them for

IP Logged

chris
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

a setter is better!

Reply #241 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
250's are very effective but overkill really
I would buy 200's
Just as good but cheaper and easier to use
200's kill possums and headgehogs easily so won't be an issue on ferrets

IP Logged

Cruz
Forum Senior

Cruz the Lab & Landcruzer
wheels

Reply #242 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
I havenít had anything in my Doc250 for a couple of months - just rats playing with the three ping pong balls - sometimes outside - I need to clean it and make it trip lighter
Still working on the grey cat family - I started with Mum about six months ago - the recent grey ones are getting bigger
Looked small in the back of the Havaheart cage - but he was a big Tom - all the recent ones are straight grey colour - like their Mum 
He liked the look of a whole small bunny I had snapped in a Victor box - Man - he could hiss and snarl - I have left a tin of sardines for his mates

Trying out some new Connovation lure - Egg Mayo - looks and smells yummy
Loaded a line of ten Victors on the boundary line - been pretty quiet down there so will be interesting to see how it goes
I got a couple of rats on another boundary corner - two traps- two kills every time - its going to be hard to have Pest Free NZ

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #243 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
Cruz wrote on Feb 26th, 2017 at 9:09pm:
I havenít had anything in my Doc250 for a couple of months - just rats playing with the three ping pong balls - sometimes outside - I need to clean it and make it trip lighter
Still working on the grey cat family - I started with Mum about six months ago - the recent grey ones are getting bigger
Looked small in the back of the Havaheart cage - but he was a big Tom - all the recent ones are straight grey colour - like their Mum†
He liked the look of a whole small bunny I had snapped in a Victor box - Man - he could hiss and snarl - I have left a tin of sardines for his mates

Trying out some new Connovation lure - Egg Mayo - looks and smells yummy
Loaded a line of ten Victors on the boundary line - been pretty quiet down there so will be interesting to see how it goes
I got a couple of rats on another boundary corner - two traps- two kills every time - its going to be hard to have Pest Free NZ

Great work

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

padox
Donor Member

Reply #244 - Mar 3rd, 2017 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
Well had a handful of traps out and in 3 weeks have had 13 ferrets think there a few getting round

IP Logged

Cruz
Forum Senior

wheels

Reply #245 - Mar 12th, 2017 at 9:11am
Print Post  
Snap - he didnít enjoy steel around his neck - maybe we underestimate what a Snap-E or a Victor Pro can do - a low cost trap for rats that can kill a stoat
I had three traps at this spot - the Snap-E on a fence stay has been catching a rat every few days - so I pulled in an A24 on a ramp 3m away and also a Victor in a box about 5m away - so why did the stoat check out the blue ďSmooth in a TubeĒ in the Snap-E rather than the other two options with the same lure - maybe he could smell the dead rats on the fence stay 
Just the second stoat I have ever caught on the property

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #246 - Mar 14th, 2017 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
smooth blue...... looks like smurf toothpaste Grin

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #247 - Mar 14th, 2017 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
Raptor wrote on Feb 14th, 2017 at 4:46am:
You can get empty 250 boxes from Haines Pallet Co Ltd, see:
http://www.doc.govt.nz/Documents/conservation/threats-and-impacts/animal-pests/d...
Note of advice ensure you always use the safety clip with the 250 as well as the setting tool - mean traps but they work well.

we run 20 or so 250s and dont use either the safety clip(you could use a wool pack clip) or setting tool,you turn trap around and place foot on top edge of box the pull kill bar up towards you.....the jiggle at top to get trigger to set can be "interesting" but in 4 years Ive only lost skin once and that was 3 weeks back.

IP Logged

padox
Donor Member

Reply #248 - Mar 15th, 2017 at 7:49am
Print Post  
Yea they go off with a bang micky would hate to have hand in it

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #249 - Apr 2nd, 2017 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
Just bought 11 of those SnapE traps. Do you use the blue stuff or the yellow stuff or combo?

IP Logged

Cruz
Forum Senior

wheels

Reply #250 - Apr 4th, 2017 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
Just using blue stuff at present Sako
Hard to say if they are using it for toothpaste MD - but they have usually got it all over their face
One of the buggars ate a big chunk out of the foot plate of a Snap-E a few days back - while his mate was stuck in the trap - I guess it is safer that way
I slosh plenty of blue stuff on the traps - if I am doing the slog - I want results - and they donít always get much

A Mate on FB has been telling me to slosh it on to get results - so I did an experiment with a timms on a log that had been dormant for several months - I cleaned out the last bit of a large tube of blue stuff - had it all over my gloves - so wiped it on the trap and the log - 21/3/17

Couple of days later 23/3/17

Couple of days later 25/3/17

Yesterday 3/4/17 - I am not on the Connovation payroll - but I think you will see that it works - possums, rats and stoats
I do feed Cruz well - but he loves to drag them out of the timms and carts them round for a while - until he gets a claw in the face

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #251 - Apr 6th, 2017 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
Put a message in . Waiting to hear. We are back in block at end of month. Plan to get another 10 traps making 21 to put out. Done effing hours doing up the track.Will probably put up some cut plastic buckets cut in half as a weather shield.Thanks.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #252 - Apr 6th, 2017 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
another smelly stoat in a doc 250 today...... funny looking wee bugga,didnt have black hair at all just cream underneath and brown all the rest including his short stumpy tail.....made sure to rub its smelly but all over inside of trap.

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #253 - Apr 8th, 2017 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
We are going to get a try on that upmarket Egg stuff. Sounds salacious and eggciting.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

wellycoaster
Just Joined

Reply #254 - Apr 9th, 2017 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
Rebaited my traps today, not much happening.
One trap only had a rat tail underneath the DOC200 kill bar, something had came along and ate the rat and the bait (an egg and rabbit meat). Yuck  Huh

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards