Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) stoat trapping notes. (Read 166063 times)
chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Re: stoat trapping notes.
Reply #15 - Sep 2nd, 2008 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
your nana and pop might get a bit tichy finding rabbit blood on there dried apricots bro!!! Wink i havnt tried dried rabbit but have used salted rabbit quite a bit, it did catch but not as good as eggs, could be worth a crack with the dried. traps definatly seem to catch better once a stoat has been caught, must be the scent they leave in it i think, rabbit piss could be a good plan, i think rabbit blood would go rotten smelling and maybe only work when it was nice and fresh. ive heard of a guy putting folded up paper from his kids pet mice cage in the traps as well as bait, the paper reaked of mice piss and he rekoned it worked as a lure, could be worth a try but i think plain old eggs works ok for me. the lure paste i read about was a concentrated rat smell, designed especially to target mustelids so there must be some merrit in it.

IP Logged

meathunter72
Donor Member

Reply #16 - Sep 2nd, 2008 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
200 metres is a good spacing for stoats. But like Chris says location is the key. The boundary edge is a good place to start, along with any existing tracks on the property. Ridge lines too, If you were not going to check them for a month or more go eggs, but if you can check them weekly or better then its hard to go past fresh rabbit with skin on. Besides, it gives you an excuse to go and knock some bunnies over.

Keep the wind in your face and your freezer full.

IP Logged

Traps

Reply #17 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
I experiment a lot with the trap site, I believe if something is not quite right most dont go near. I found no bait is required if you got them set up in the right spot and I think lures and baits may alert the smarter ones to the danger actually reducing the catch rate, my understanding is they like live food and this is why 1080 has no effect on them and so its better to think of providing them cover rather than food.
I check mine daily along with my possum line, this gets them going big time, once I get it right I often catch every day in the same trap for a bit - up to 30 on the trot and once 2 in one day. This is how to get the numbers up more than any other trick.
Also I make it natural as possible, heres another pic of the punga tunnel set which is productive year in an out,

Also fully agree with every attention to the way the traps are set, bed well, hide with local material, guide with same, and set light as possible and check from a distance without touching.

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #18 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
now that is a quality set!!! Wink it looks like its set on a rock wall? rock walls are very good sites because they provide a lot of shelter for all sorts of critters that stoats like to eat. spot on traps!

IP Logged

meathunter72
Donor Member

Reply #19 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
legend

IP Logged

ex-rabbithunter
Donor Member

Reply #20 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
Connovation sell rabbit paste for stoats/ferrets. Made from minced up Canterbury rabbits (the young rabbits from spring/summer)

"the only good Wallaby is a dead one"

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #21 - Sep 4th, 2008 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
cheers rh, i will try it, do they have a web site?

IP Logged

ex-rabbithunter
Donor Member

Reply #22 - Sep 4th, 2008 at 3:57pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #23 - Sep 4th, 2008 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
cheers rh, good link mate, ill try some of that and do a report, 4-6 weeks till smelly is quite good.

IP Logged

ex-rabbithunter
Donor Member

Reply #24 - Sep 5th, 2008 at 11:03am
Print Post  
No problems.

Keep us up to date with how effective you find it. As in the next couple of months I will probably start to trap ferrets/stoats as I don't think the AHB are going to be doing any control here this coming year.

IP Logged

engage

a moving target improves
any activity

Reply #25 - Sep 5th, 2008 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
i  got 3 of these fenn traps in the shep if anyone wants to take them off my hands

IP Logged

meathunter72
Donor Member

Reply #26 - Sep 5th, 2008 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
I've used that connavation rabbit paste. It works ok I guess, but it did'nt impress me that much. It is less messy but thats about it.

IP Logged

HiTop
Forum Font

Tops by dawn, a day in
heaven

Reply #27 - Mar 11th, 2009 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
Heres a link to the design used for DOC trapping stations and you can go to the home page to find suppliers of the traps etc.
http://www.predatortraps.com/downloads/doc%20200%20setting%20instructions.pdf

The kids at Inglewood High School are also doing these for a good rate:
http://www.stoatbusters.co.nz/

IP Logged

Weathered
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Amor Fati

Reply #28 - Mar 11th, 2009 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
Got 70 traps to manage over 14 kms for 10 years down here. some of us took the plunge and bought 70 DoC 200's. It is an all volunteer trapline I am going to be asking you a lot of questions Chris and Traps if you do not mind, I can learn something here. We are protecting mainly Whio with Kakariki Mohua and Kaka benefiting.
yeah one tagged stoat spent 10 days in the middle of a trapline and never went near the traps

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

IP Logged

HiTop
Forum Font

Tops by dawn, a day in
heaven

Reply #29 - Mar 11th, 2009 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
I was contemplating the same for here!  Kiwi are getting nailed badly in the beech country now.  Where did you buy yours from Weathered?  Was considering getting local High School involved to try and keep up a good stream of young ones in the bush.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards