Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Whitebait pattern (Read 3533 times)
Aquila
Ex Member

Whitebait pattern
Aug 21st, 2008 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
Who's got a good one grunty enough for Kahawai?

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Re: Whitebait pattern
Reply #1 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 11:55am
Print Post  
Gday Aquila,

In the past we have just used patterns like a dorothy yellow bodied size 2. The are not the fussiest of fish. Main thing is to have a reasonably strong hook if you are going to catch them on salmon type gear otherwise you just bend the hook. If you are using a fly rod you should have no problem not bending hooks.If you are casting in the sea for them as opposed to in the river mouth where the water is fresh make sure you wash the lure as the hook will rust and when you put it back in your fly box you will rust the other hooks the lure comes in contact with.

Hope this helps,

Cheers Salmoner.

IP Logged

Aquila
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
Sounds like a good start. I'm not familiar with the Dorothy pattern. Got any pics or tying instructions?

I'll be trying it out in the mouth of the Waimak and Avon (It's close and everybodies been telling me I won't catch anything there)

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #3 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
Tied Matuku [sp] style using a grizzle feather as a wing yellow chenille body ribbed with silver or gold tinsel and a hackle of grizzle feather. Damn easy to tie.

My guess you will struggle at Waimak mouth or at Shag rock best bet would be at mouth of Rangi or Rakaia sometime in Dec Jan or Feb but that is salmoning time then.

Hope that helps

IP Logged

Tahr-Bound
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
Grey ghosts are pretty good caught about 50-60 trout on them but they do tend to "twist" as in the tail getting caught on the hook bend

IP Logged

Chris Dore
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 7th, 2009 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
A silver woolly buggar works well for me. Simply a silver tinsel or perl ribbon body, grizzle hackle palmered and ribbed with oval tinsel, grey or grizzle marabou and a silver bead. Durable and provides lots of movement to assist detection in the often off-coloured tidal waters.

I usually fish whitebait / smelt / bully patterns in tandem, and often three at a time. This way your flies work as a team, and are often reacted to as such, as opposed to a solitary baitfish.

Chris Dore
Queenstown, NZ

IP Logged

scottrods
Forum Font

Aim small, Hit small

Reply #6 - Jun 7th, 2009 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
I use Matuku lures tied with grizzle feather and a pale blue chenile body on a size 12 Tiemco SW hook. Also tie small size 12 clouser minnows and crease flies.

An orange woolly bugger works really well too. Orange marabou, and chenille with black palmered hackle.

Kids who learn to Hunt and Fish,
Don't learn to Steal and Deal.

IP Logged

scottrods
Forum Font

Aim small, Hit small

Reply #7 - Sep 21st, 2009 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
Try this one I've been using this season. Herrings love it.

Tiemco TMC811S (stainless) Size 8.
UTC 280 white thread.
Unimylar pearl size 3/64" or #12.
Loctite 406, to coat the head & body but not tail.

A 30second tie.

IP Logged

The Badger
Forum Font

'Badger on the other hand,
he's basically a bum'

Reply #8 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 1:04am
Print Post  
I can vouch for how effective this is.

I also tie one out of wingbrite. Just a straight wingbrite tail, then either dub the wingbrite onto the thread or just wrap it round as you would chenille. I like to put fabric glue on the body section as this creates a semi-hard head. I generally tie it on a size 10 caddis hook, but a circle hook would be even better.

IP Logged

jmeyerc

I Love The FishNhunt Forum />

Reply #9 - Oct 25th, 2009 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
Hi scottrods,

What is Loctite 406? Is it a super glue?

Where would you get it from please?

Jeanne

IP Logged

scottrods
Forum Font

Aim small, Hit small

Reply #10 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
super glue is a common term for it. Super glue is cyanoacrylate.
Loctite are an industrial provider. They have many cyanoacrylate based adhesives, each for a different purpose.

406 is a very thing version. It cures quickly but does not cloud as the cheaper ones do. It comes in bottles rather than tubes for industrial use, and it's also something I use at work. I don't know how you can get it privately here because Selley's dominates the adhesive market to the consumer. 406 also doesn't become as brittle in low temperatures compared to consumer alternatives.

Don't use superglue near cotton - I wipe my dubbing needle with a kitchen paper towel - Applying cyanoacrylate to materials made of cotton or wool (such as cotton swabs, cotton balls, and certain yarns or fabrics) results in a powerful, rapid exothermic reaction. The heat released may cause minor burns, and if enough cyanoacrylate is used, the reaction is capable of setting the cotton product in question on fire, as well as releasing additional irritating vapor in the form of white smoke.

Material Safety Data Sheets for cyanoacrylate instruct users not to wear cotton or wool clothing, especially cotton gloves, when applying or handling cyanoacrylates

A quick google says it's available here

www.hobbyhangar.co.nz/-c-158_154.html

IP Logged

jmeyerc

I Love The FishNhunt Forum />

Reply #11 - Oct 30th, 2009 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
Thanks Scottrods, will keep my eye out for some in the model shops - I may just be lucky one day.

Jeanne

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards