Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) So who are we  all? (Read 57893 times)
Chris Dore
Ex Member

So who are we  all?
Aug 19th, 2008 at 8:26am
Print Post  
So I like to know to whom I am talking, so who are we all?

Im Chris Dore, based in Queenstown and I would class the Mataura as my home water - or rather the one on which I like to spend the most time. I like the challenges of the Mataura - you can take it however you feel: on lazy days I can throw nymphs through the ripples for a bit of fun, and if I am up for it, I can hit those glassy glides and foam lines for choosy trout requiring technical presentations.

Chris

Chris Dore
Queenstown, NZ

IP Logged

trouttraveller
Ex Member

Re: So who are we  all?
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
Im Andrew Perring

Live in the big smoke so take advantage of the great snapper fishing on my doorstep

My favourite rivers are full of trout and dont get to see another angler. I am happy to cast a dry or nymph to spotted / feeding fish.
Enjoy getting out on the North Island lakes for a trolling session with my friends. My new passion is drifting and stripping flies, a very fast and exciting form of fishing

Have travelled a number of palces. I few highlights includ - tigers in Africa, Sailfish in Western OZ, Marlin in Vanuatu, Salmon in Alaska, Bass in USA.

Have guided grizzly bear, trout, pike, salmon in Alaska and trout for many years in NZ.

Chris - I got married in my waders at lake Waikaremoana - with fishing rod in hand.

One of my most memorable days fishing was last year. Spent the day drifting and stripping flies with the fish biting hard. When Nick Foster paddles out with a hand full of christmas mince pies and drops them on my lap for lunch.

IP Logged

cleaky
Forum Font

... pass me my 16 gauge,
I'll handle this ...

Reply #2 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
TT -  that Foster chap has been known to be a good bastard every now and then!  Grin

It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right.

IP Logged

Snuffit
Forum Font

Reply #3 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
Grin I even caught a fish or two. Unlike Andrew 'The Driftnet' Perring who cleaned up with maybe 50+ fish that day. I'm Nick, I fly fish for everything from trout to marlin (haven't scored one of those just yet on fly) and shoot gamebirds as often as they fly past.

Chris, I'm still waiting for you to get up to Auckland for a casting clinic, I'm certain that it would be worth everyone's while. Please don't force me to fly to Queenstown, it's horrible down there with the pristine lakes, scenery....

IP Logged

Chris Dore
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 11:26am
Print Post  
Am working on something with Paul to bring sexyloops fly casting schools to NZ. Could be fun if we get around to it  Cheesy

Good to see you here mate - you should come to middlemarch this coming Jan!

Chris Dore
Queenstown, NZ

IP Logged

Roaring_Red
Forum Font

Click.... f**k!

Reply #5 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 5:54am
Print Post  
im Josh and ive been fly-fishing spring creeks on the west coast for about 3 years.

IP Logged

Flyboy
Ex Member

probably fishing

Reply #6 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 1:02am
Print Post  
Hi, Im Mark Brown.
I live at Ohope, in the mostly sunny Bay of Plenty.  Both my wife and I love our trout fishing, the best of all being the more remote waters of our region.
My next favourite region is Southland, where we make an annual pilgrimage each season.
As an idea, how about some of the members doing a fishing swap with other members.  We would be happy to host another member in our region, in return for reciprocal deal? Its just the kernel of an idea, any suggestions?
Bring on Oct 1st.

IP Logged

trouttraveller
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 2:51am
Print Post  
Flyboy wrote on Aug 22nd, 2008 at 1:02am:
Hi, Im Mark Brown.
I live at Ohope, in the mostly sunny Bay of Plenty.  Both my wife and I love our trout fishing, the best of all being the more remote waters of our region.
My next favourite region is Southland, where we make an annual pilgrimage each season.
As an idea, how about some of the members doing a fishing swap with other members.  We would be happy to host another member in our region, in return for reciprocal deal? Its just the kernel of an idea, any suggestions?
Bring on Oct 1st.

I think thats a great idea. Have seen the idea of a fly swap put in place and that works well

Never heard of a Fishing Swap but reckon its a cracker of a idea.

IP Logged

Baz
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #8 - Aug 23rd, 2008 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
G'Day all.
Baz here from sunny Gisborne. But not today, it's pissing down and we have had more than our fair share of rain during the spawning season. Gday flyboy how did your Whakatane river trip go? Did you find that the jetboat traffic actually improved the fishing?
As always I will fish the top end of the Motu and the Opato stream come opening day-and leave the Ruakituri river to everyone and their canine companions. From what I've heard from local anglers the Ruakituri has had a fair bit of high and dirty water sluicing down it over the spawning period-so only time will tell how well the new batch of trout have survived.
Always a pleasure to meet  and chat to brothers of the angle on this site---Good luck with the coming season--tight lines-and avoid getting your rod caught in your fly.  Smiley

Too Old To Die Young.
YouTube  
IP Logged

gizzy-mike
Forum Font

OUT AND ABOUT

Reply #9 - Aug 23rd, 2008 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
mike from gizzy, im a baker and always keen for a fish hunt dive whatever..

baz i c you and i are in the same city, maybe we could get out there 1day and give it a crack mate

ive lost enuf brain cells, they are now at a managable level.

IP Logged

Baz
Forum Font

Reply #10 - Aug 23rd, 2008 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
gizzy-mike wrote on Aug 23rd, 2008 at 9:32pm:
mike from gizzy, im a baker and always keen for a fish hunt dive whatever..

baz i c you and i are in the same city, maybe we could get out there 1day and give it a crack mate

Hi Mike
Thats a nice snapper-well done. Sure Mike, we could arrange a day on the river sometime during the season-keep in touch.
Cheers baz.

Too Old To Die Young.
YouTube  
IP Logged

Nik H
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 4:53am
Print Post  
Gidday.
NIk is my name and basically all I ever do is play with fish. I look after fish and sharks at Kelly Tarltons and chase fish of any sort on my days off and after work as often as I can. Have been fly fishing for 20 odd years mostly on the northern half of the north Island but did spent 7 years in Nelson so explored a far bit of that as well. Have fished New calidonia Bone fish to Kazhakastan Pike and a few others in between.
I take my fishing time seriously but find it a wee bit hard to take the fishing itself too serious. I think fishing is a bit of an art but not too much of a science, Smiley after all fish have tiny brains, you just have to get them put your hook in thier mouth. Smiley

IP Logged

Tahr-Bound
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 7:10am
Print Post  
Hey there everyone my names Reuben Pfahlert Im from hokitika i taught myself to fly fish on the lawn about 3 and a half years ago.been fishing since i was about 5 with my grandad.I love fishing a large creek near hoki in the whitebait season using a grey ghost ,caught 50+ trout on season doing that.f anyones in the hoki area later on this year give us a buz id be happy to go out and have a crack.

IP Logged

Roaring_Red
Forum Font

Click.... f**k!

Reply #13 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 7:12am
Print Post  
Quote:
Hey there everyone my names Reuben Pfahlert Im from hokitika i taught myself to fly fish on the lawn about 3 and a half years ago.been fishing since i was about 5 with my grandad.I love fishing a large creek near hoki in the whitebait season using a grey ghost ,caught 50+ trout on season doing that.f anyones in the hoki area later on this year give us a buz id be happy to go out and have a crack.

Im in the hoki area,sounds like fun  Roll Eyes Grin

IP Logged

12pointer
Forum Font

You haven't shot many,
if you havent missed
a few.

Reply #14 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 11:54am
Print Post  
Quote:
Quote:

Im in the hoki area,sounds like fun  Roll Eyes Grin

You little shit stirrer Josh Grin

IP Logged

Flyboy
Ex Member

probably fishing

Reply #15 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
Hi
Gday flyboy how did your Whakatane river trip go? Did you find that the jetboat traffic actually improved the fishing?
Baz the Whakatane went well, but is a sight fishery for the best fish, you need a sunny day for best results. A mixture of mainly rainbows, but a few nice Brownies as well.  Nothing large in the upper reaches but a nice fishery on a nice day.
Parts of the upper river are a bit hammered by some guides, and the fishing was noticeably poorer in these areas.
We never saw a jet boat, but the river was very low, which would have kept them out.
There is a lot of horse traffic with the Tuhoe hunters after pork, and venison.  Maybe some crop cultivation as well. I'm told you have to watch where you go in the bush.
Might get to meet you on opening day, would be nice to put a face to the name.
Cheers
Flyboy

IP Logged

blackbunny
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #16 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 3:07am
Print Post  
Quote:
I look after fish and sharks at Kelly Tarltons

Are you one of the sharks' hand feeders?  Smiley

Dear Noah,
We could have sworn you said the ark wasn't leaving till 5.
Sincerely, Unicorns

IP Logged

trouttraveller
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 4:21am
Print Post  
Quote:
Gidday.
NIk is my name and basically all I ever do is play with fish.
I look after fish and sharks at Kelly Tarltons and chase fish of any sort on my days off and after work as often as I can.  
I take my fishing time seriously but find it a wee bit hard to take the fishing itself too serious

Nik - A bill board of your fishing habits was erected at Victoria Park - work 4 days fish 3
What they forgot to ad was your job allows you to fish on a regular basis collecting fish for Kelleys.
I think a wee french girl slows you down from taking your fishing serious

[Edit: fixed quote -- blackbunny]

IP Logged

upstream

Reply #18 - Aug 28th, 2008 at 3:40am
Print Post  
Hi All,

Kev here. I am a flyfishing nut -  think about it, dream about it, write about it, and sometimes even do it. Been flyfishing since 1991, with breaks in between when other outdoor passions took over. Also in the process of getting my firearm license, haven't hunted in over a decade since when I lived in Africa.

I'm based a bit south of Hamilton and fish the Waikato and King Country waters extensively, or rather when the missus says I can.  Embarrassed I am also a keen flytier, although my flies are more in the effective category than the pretty category - chickens peck at anything, hey Nik? Andrew has asked that I provide some periodic updates on the fishing in the Waikato/KC area, so am happy to oblige.

Later
Kevin

IP Logged

trouttraveller
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Aug 28th, 2008 at 3:54am
Print Post  
Hey Kev

Great to have you onboard

There is so much great hunting information on this site. Amazing what guys get up to and how open people are to share their experience. Such a motivator to get out there and do it!!

I am sure you will have the firearms licence and new rifle sorted in know time.

Kev - look forward to your regular fishing updates from the Waikato area. Everyone here will really appreciate your local knowledge before setting out to the river in your neck of the woods.

IP Logged

P-A
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Aug 31st, 2008 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
Hi Guys

My name is Per-Anders "P-A" Nilsson. I live in stockholm Sweden
but my heart nowadays belongs to the southland. Wink
My primary work is as a secondary school teacher but i also
work part time in the flyfishingsbuisness (Sameo prostaff member, Guiding and Flytying).
I have been flyfishing for 25 years and currently do about 120-140 days
a year including the work related stuff.  Last christmas i was down to NZ and fished
with some of this forums members (Nick Foster and Simon chu)
and next year i will be coming down again since i have been dreaming about
those monster Kingies and Trouts ever since.
Best Regards
P-A Grin Grin

IP Logged

trouttraveller
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 4:50am
Print Post  
Hi PA

Welcome and great to see you here

Thing with PA is you turn your computer on when you get to work - check fishnhunt and there is a post at 3am in the morning from PA

Always a great way to start the day

IP Logged

P-A
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 7:13am
Print Post  
Thanks Andrew
It feels great to find you and the others
from fishingnet.nz in here. I"ll try to
post some good quality stuff in the flytying deparment
at night of course mate. Wink
Best Regards
P-A

IP Logged

Chris Dore
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 8:38am
Print Post  
Tis not the time zone Andrew, PA just doesnt sleep  Cheesy

Chris Dore
Queenstown, NZ

IP Logged

walkabout
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 9:05am
Print Post  
hey guys

im carl smith, flew back into nz last week to have a crack at most things in the outdoors for 6 months(its a terrible life i tell you) Cool

learnt to flyfish in the mckenzie basin before moving to marlborough and giving just about every river in the region a crack.

work in karratha, north west aussie. its a fantastic place for saltwater fly. managed to land my first sailfish on fly this year, along with some monster barra so cant really complain!!

living in collingwood, golden bay and looking forward to exploring the aorere rivers and sneaking down the coast!!1 anyone in the area feel free to pm if looking to share costs....

off to eat the first of (hopefully) many feeds of whitebait for the season

tight lines all!!!!!!

IP Logged

Grunt Futtick
Donor Member

Adventure is the opposite
of television.

Reply #25 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 11:16am
Print Post  
Hey.
Shannon here. Self taught fly fisherman, started 13 years ago. Have done most of my fishing in Canterbury and know most of the water round here pretty well. Spent 2 years in Wanaka so have done a fair bit of fishing in Otago and Southland as well. Hoping to catch my first Salmon this year too. I get a real buzz from exploring new water and watching my fishing mates hook up. Over the last couple of seasons I have been using lighter and lighter tippet with improving results. My best is a 7lb Jack from the Nevis in Otago on 2lb tippet. Got busted of in the Ahuriri with the light stuff a few times though. This years goal is to land a fontanalis.
Nice to meet you lot.

Hunting wild animals on Department of Conservation administered land during the hours of darkness (½ hour after sunset to ½ hour before sunrise) is prohibited.

IP Logged

P-A
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Tis not the time zone Andrew, PA just doesnt sleep  Cheesy

Sleeping is for women.
Wink Grin

IP Logged

trouttraveller
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Hi Carl and Shannon

Carl - try and catch up with Thomas W from here he is a great guy. Seems he is always out fishing the top of the Sth Island somewheres.

Back to NZ in time for opening day eh Shocked Shocked Shocked

Hi Shannon - Have you caught up with Chris Dore. President of the Whakatipu fishing club. I believe Chris runs quite a few club trips. Chris has also told me there are some brookies of some sort in your area.

Thomas W had the same goal as you on the brookies last season. Was inspirational when he laid down a great plan and it all came together.

IP Logged

Grunt Futtick
Donor Member

of television.

Reply #28 - Sep 2nd, 2008 at 8:17am
Print Post  
Hey trouttraveller. No I have not met Chris. I moved back to Chch in 2005 from Wanaka. As far as Brook Char go, I'm keen get one this season. I've got access to a crib at Lake Clearwater so intend spending a bit of time at Lake Emily. I reckon I"ll be doing a few more over night missions into the back country. With the price of diesel (I know it's dropping) these days it's hard to justify a day trip. Still, If the Yanks get thing sorted between Georgia and Russia and hurry up and invade Iran well all be sorted for petrol eh?  Grin.
Tell me, anybody caught a Char out of lake Grassmere?

Hunting wild animals on Department of Conservation administered land during the hours of darkness (½ hour after sunset to ½ hour before sunrise) is prohibited.

IP Logged

landlock101
Forum Font

Labralux

Reply #29 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 12:17am
Print Post  
hey guys, my names Scott Turner.
been fishing all my life, you could say its in my blood. Wink
Do all the catergories of fishing there is to be done love my trout fishing but would have to say my passion is salmon fishing. I would class  the Rakaia as my fav water to fish as this is where I spend most of my time from now till the end of the season, starts with the whitebait, then the sea run browns and then start chasing salmon.

IP Logged

NiNjA

Reply #30 - Sep 7th, 2008 at 8:43am
Print Post  
Kia ora,
My name is Chris Donaldson. Been fishing a long while.....mainly salt water...just the norm king fsh/marlin/great whites/Blue whales.  K might be lying as I live in Christchurch and we dont get blue whales off the peir Grin

Seriously though I gave fresh water a crack last season....caught sweet F-A but m picking it has something to do with fishing most on the vehicle access spots. Something needs to be done about them city slickers taking all the eqsy fish so I can get some Grin

Ive just started getting into the Hunting side of things at the moment and with the crap winter that its been havent done much fishing lately...bring on the KY!!!

IP Logged

hailaz
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 5:01am
Print Post  
Hi!  I thought I'd introduce myself here.  I'm not overly knowledgable about fishing but my 10 year old wants me to learn as he's really into it already.

I used to go trout fishing in Kent and Sussex in the UK with my brother who owned a fishing shop.  I miss those days, so peaceful by the river.

I hope you don't mind a newbie joining up and commenting, please excuse my ignorance, I've got lots to learn :0)

IP Logged

s_venmillx57

saving forests ......one
deer at a time

Reply #32 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 8:09am
Print Post  
Graham from the Hawkes Bay. Only been spin fishing but have got a fly rod now and learning to use it. Middle age spread is slowing down the hunting so thought I'd give fly fishing a go. Used to surf cast years ago but the coastal fishing around here is shite, too many trawlers workin too close. Any how great forum, plenty of free advise, great people too.  Cool

there's room for all gods creatures.....right next to the mashed potatoes!

IP Logged

mush

I used to have a handle
on life, but it broke.

Reply #33 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
Names Hamish, live in Dunedin, just started fresh water fishing in 2007. I did fish when a kid but couldn't sit still long enough.
I mainly fish the lower Clutha with my brother in law. we enjoy fishing,drinking and camping the night on the river bank
My fishing is a bit like my hunting.... I dont catch much.
Last years open season I caught nothing!!!! Brother in law caught the limit and still return heaps! we used the same lure and where more or less beside each other fishing.
If anyone else is intersted in the overnighter thing, more than welcome. PM me sometime.

IP Logged

DukShooter
Forum Font

Reply #34 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
My name is Don and live in Hamilton, Am a Fish and Game Councilor and Ranger. I fish the Waikato River above Cambridge at times but mostly fish Lake Rotoehu when ever i can.Have been fishing that lake for last 46 years and love it.

The kill is not the bottom line reason for the hunt, but it cannot be removed from the equation
IP Logged

Buck Strickland
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 12:14am
Print Post  
Howdy, my name is Vincent and I am going to be in NZ come November for just over a month.  Im in Sydney on exchange from Austin, TX.  I am a novice fly fisher back home and mostly sight cast to shallow red fish.  Really looking forward to seeing NZ and learning how to fly fish for trout.    Cheers

IP Logged

duck-kila
Forum Senior

to  hunt and fish

Reply #36 - Sep 19th, 2008 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
hi names Stu.
into fishing and hunting ,fish mostly Rotourua lakes and getting into fly fishing .Do a bit of fly tying to.Live in the waikato so know a bit of local area.

oh and a way we go
IP Logged

trouttraveller
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 6:55am
Print Post  
Kidday duck kila

A few around here who would have liked their parents to named them that

There are a couple of roundups and advice threads in the fresh forums for Rotorua and Hamilon areas that the guys keep a eye on for what is happening in those areas.

Upstream lives down the road from his favourite stream and is always worth catching up with if your looking for more tips for the waikato area

Hi Buck - spent a few months chasing fish on lake LBJ. Gotta love texas such a great part of the world. But boy are you in for a culture shock we aint much like you texan boys Cheesy  

Have missed a few others introducing themselves recently but great to have you all aboard and look forward to hearing whats happening in your area

IP Logged

NW
Forum Font

:)

Reply #38 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 9:21am
Print Post  
Names Andrew, 21, live in Welly. My dad brought me up on fly fishing and I would put myself into the 'life's not worth it without fly fishing' category. My old man has been fishing all his life and lived in Christchurch for most of it so, we do a lot of trips down there to fish the high country lakes. Fish all over Wellington, all over the Wairarapa, Wainui etc. Just made our first central North Island Trip this year which was well overdue.
Favor the dry if I have the option, contrary to the old mans nymphing beliefs.
Anybody ever wants someone to fish with round the lower north island I'd be happy to go out.  Smiley

IP Logged

Hare_n_Copa

Reply #39 - Sep 20th, 2008 at 9:42am
Print Post  
Suppose I should introduce myself as well then!!

I am Kane from Hamilton.

I have been fishing for as long as I can remember, my haunts when I was younger were Salisbury Wharf and the Stone Jetty under the Mount. A sabiki suspended under a float used to kill em there!!

I took up flyfishing after attending a course run at a local high school in about 2004ish - I was hooked (now thats a crap pun  Cry)

I fish mainly the Waikato streams with Upstream - but sounds as if a few trips further abroad are planned for this summer. The occasional trip to Rotorua with the father in-law and his boat also in the mix.

Oh and chase a few Marlin over the summer - have only been briefly attached to one out behind the Aldermans, it was the scariest 15 seconds of my life!! Maybe this year for that one

Admittedly I have been a bit slack on fishing over the past 12 months but it seems as though I have caught the bug again and cant wait for the season to open in a few weeks

Cheers in advance for all the help you much more experienced heads (read - older  Tongue) are bound to provide me with in the future

Behind Every Good Fisherman is a Lonely Woman

IP Logged

ladyflyfisher
Ex Member

Reply #40 - Sep 21st, 2008 at 2:54am
Print Post  
Quote:
Quote:

Sleeping is for women.
Wink Grin

So is flyfishing!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

Mad68Kiwi

Its about getting out
there !!

Reply #41 - Sep 28th, 2008 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
Hi,

Kerry from Christchurch, all things fly fishing for the past 5 yrs. Just love getting outdoors and exploring new & old areas !

Is there life outside of Fly Fishing ??

IP Logged

john Will
Ex Member

Reply #42 - Sep 29th, 2008 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
Hi all,
I am Aussie based flyfisher. My main thing is backcountry fishing, both here in remote Australia and other far flung places. new Zealand has to be my favourite place though. I work there three times a year and when I do my november stint, I always stay an extra 12 days and head out somewhere remote. Last year I spent a feew eeks in the lewis PAss area and got a few 10LB plus fish. This late november I'll be trecking into the upper ngaruroro/oamaru area in the north island. Can't wait!
Favourite river in the south - the oreti - four fish last trip to the upper reaches - but all over 7 lbs. BEautiful river.
Best wishes all,
Joohn

IP Logged

P-A
Ex Member

Reply #43 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 11:50am
Print Post  
Julie wrote on Sep 21st, 2008 at 2:54am:
Quote:
Quote:

Sleeping is for women.
Wink Grin

Of course Ladyfisher, my wife is a keen flyfishers
since 15 years back and one ogf my best fishing buddies.
And she sleeps 9-10 hours per 24 hours and i only 4 hours so
my other remark is true also.
Wink Grin Grin

IP Logged

ladyflyfisher
Ex Member

Reply #44 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sleeping is for women.
Wink Grin

Wink Grin Grin

Just great to hear about other ladies that fly fish, this forum seems to be a man thing! Which is a shame!

IP Logged

trouttraveller
Ex Member

Reply #45 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
Julie wrote on Sep 30th, 2008 at 7:06pm:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sleeping is for women.
Wink Grin

Fly fishing is a bit like that ladyfisher - more blokes than women fishing.

You will notice that us blokes dont mind women anglers

Mind you I wont allow a good mate of mine to bring his girlfriend along to my secret spot. She would be bound to spill the beans as to where it is.

Plenty more room on the river for women anglers.

Wink Grin Grin

Just great to hear about other ladies that fly fish, this forum seems to be a man thing! Which is a shame!

IP Logged

P-A
Ex Member

Reply #46 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sleeping is for women.
Wink Grin

Wink Grin Grin

Its the same in sweden, but the women are fighting back
now and have made a special club "fjällorna" where only
women is allowed. They orginazie fishing tripps, seminars, casting courses, flytying courses (me and a mate are the teacher).
I think that they have over 250 members and they are growing fast
in numbers. Maybe something for the NZ women also?
Best Regards
P-A

IP Logged

ladyflyfisher
Ex Member

Reply #47 - Oct 1st, 2008 at 12:11am
Print Post  
Quote:
Its the same in sweden, but the women are fighting back
now and have made a special club "fjällorna" where only
women is allowed. They orginazie fishing tripps, seminars, casting courses, flytying courses (me and a mate are the teacher).
I think that they have over 250 members and they are growing fast
in numbers. Maybe something for the NZ women also?
Best Regards
P-A

Yes, that is my idea to get an NZ womens club started but not sure how to go about it. My partner and I have just been to Alaska fishing for silvers and we joined a trip to Cordova ran by the Alaskan womens fly fishing club, they have lots of trips, and courses like you mention.
Tight lines,
Just off to see how the Ohau channel is fishing in Rotorua

[Edit: fixed quote -- blackbunny]

IP Logged

BigFishy
Ex Member

Reply #48 - Oct 4th, 2008 at 6:52am
Print Post  
My name is John, (Called JT by my mates) and have fly fished for as long as I can remember. Live in Taupo but, believe it or not, mainly fish more towards Hawkes bay in the Summer. Love to fish in the salt but mainly use soft baits there... occasionally throw a fly at Kahawai and king fish.

Mainly lurk, in fact this might be my first post... can't remember....

IP Logged

rua

Reply #49 - Oct 4th, 2008 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
Roger, live and fish in the Naki, sadly no fish here Grin Grin

IP Logged

rua

Reply #50 - Oct 4th, 2008 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
Roger, live and fish in the Naki, sadly no fish here Grin Grin

IP Logged

Roaring_Red
Forum Font

Click.... f**k!

Reply #51 - Oct 5th, 2008 at 2:11am
Print Post  
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sleeping is for women.
Wink Grin

Wink Grin Grin

As long as bush_bugs here i dont think any guy has the guts to say anything sexist or bad about blondes  Grin
Looks like your the fishing version (dont know if your blonde or not but i meant bout the other thing)

IP Logged

Chris Dore
Ex Member

Reply #52 - Oct 5th, 2008 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
Ladyfisher, let me know what you decide to do and I am happy to help get the word out there. Friends and I have been discusssing starting the club of all clubs, kind of think, where our meetings are held maybe quarterly at destinations around NZ, where we can meet, fish, bring in speakers etc.

Two of the best flyfishers I have met are women. Sarah, pictured below could throw curves, switches, hooks and many other presentations with deadly accuracy, as well as fire off 90' or so of line on the grass with ease. Wind didnt bother her at all, and she caught a fish or two along the way. Shes a guide in Colorado and lives for flyfishing.

Chris

Chris Dore
Queenstown, NZ

IP Logged

ladyflyfisher
Ex Member

Re: Ladies flyfishing club
Reply #53 - Oct 5th, 2008 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
Thanks Chris, great photos of the girls, unfortunately I am not that young or good looking but have caught some superb browns, 4-6lb in the Hautapu at the beginning of the year on a dry fly which is my favourite fishing.
I am thinking I will join the Rotorua fishing club and see if there are any ladies there that may be able to help me on my mission. The other thought was to send out a letter to all the fly fishing clubs in NZ and see if I can get interest from ladies that way too. I do see other women when we are fishing around the Rotorua lakes so will make a concerted effort to ask them if they would be interested in a club. I do know 2 women from the Auckland club and the three of us have fished together on the western bays of Taupo during summer, so am hoping to catch up with them and see what they think.
I have plenty time on my hands at present but with fishing season now upon us we will be out and about soon.
Supposed to be meeting up with Rickyt for that free guided trip on the 12th Oct at Turangi.
Cheers,

IP Logged

Flyboy
Ex Member

probably fishing

Reply #54 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 1:57am
Print Post  
Hi Ladyflyfisher
My wife is also a keen flyfisher, and my constant fishing buddy.  She can throw tight curves with the best of them, and also is a good spotter.
Trouble is fishing is best done as a team, so I dont want her taking off without me on a girls trip.
cheers
Flyboy

IP Logged

ladyflyfisher
Ex Member

Re: Ladies flyfishing
Reply #55 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 2:36am
Print Post  
Hi  flyboy, yes me and the other half work well as a team but us ladies can enjoy ourselves without the men around sometimes, can't we? You could just ask her if she would be interested in joining a ladies fly fishing club though, just for me to get some feedback from another lady!  Huh Cheers

IP Logged

trouttraveller
Ex Member

Reply #56 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 5:39am
Print Post  
Hi LFF

Have tried getting women groups into fly fishing many times over the years

Most come along with their husbands. Years later the husbands are still fishing and the women have lost interest

A good friend of mine from the states wrote a book on women fly fishing anglers, has represented the USA team in fly fishing. For many years she worked hard in getting women anglers into the sport.

Alan might beable to tell use if Carol Harwood is still guiding in Turangi. She was always such a neat lady
The keenest women angler has to be Stella at the Tauranga Taupo and a great angler to catch up with

LFF - how are you with the 5am starts

IP Logged

ladyflyfisher
Ex Member

Re: ongoing debate about a womens fly fishing club
Reply #57 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 6:50am
Print Post  
Well trouttraveller don't they say that 'the early bird catches the worm' or trout in this case!
Yes, I could see older women wanting to spend time with the grandkids etc. rather than fishing, thats why I haven't any kids!
Our guide in Alaska, on our recent silver salmon trip, is a well known lady by the name of 'Pudge' Kleinkauf she writes books on womens fly fishing, guides numerous trips in America, had cancer 25 years ago and is now 72 and still going strong.
Cheesy

IP Logged

The Grinch
Forum Senior

Reply #58 - Oct 24th, 2008 at 7:39am
Print Post  
Hi, I'm Andrew.

I live in CHCH, been here for 5 years and before that I lived in Nelson.

I have fly fished for about 16 years now, since I was 12 years old.
I fish anywhere from the top of the south, through to south canterbury.
If anyone is keen for a day out from CHCH then give me a yell... most of my fishing mates are too busy these days and it's good to go out with someone else occasionaly.

IP Logged

Chris Dore
Ex Member

Reply #59 - Oct 24th, 2008 at 10:32am
Print Post  
sounds good Andrew, I may be up there giving a casting clinic in Jan. Will give you a yell.

Chris Dore
Queenstown, NZ

IP Logged

The Grinch
Forum Senior

Reply #60 - Oct 24th, 2008 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
I'll look forward to it. The fishing should be going well by then. Have you fished much around Canterbury?

IP Logged

new hunter

weekends are made for
hunting not mowing lawns

Reply #61 - Oct 24th, 2008 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
hi andrew are heading out on monday with a full truck of fishing mates .but are heading out next weekend ,the high country fishing opens so if you are keen.Flick as a pm. Wink

IP Logged

rickyt
Ex Member

Reply #62 - Nov 12th, 2008 at 5:19am
Print Post  
hi my name is ricky thompson im a mad keen fly fisherman and also up and coming fishing guide in the toupo turangi region  have done a few guides witch all have been a sucsess with great feed back. im 24 and have bin fly fishing since i was 4 years old when my grandad took me out to the nongataha stream in rotorua. i always say 2 people new to fly fishing once you have hookt up to a fish on a fly rod you will be hookt  for a life time .

IP Logged

terrynz
Ex Member

Reply #63 - Nov 16th, 2008 at 12:51am
Print Post  
I am getting back into the trout fishing after many years doing other things. I have lived in Rotorua for over 30 years and been visiting for many more before then.
My grandparents lived / worked at Lake Rotoehu (Tuniecliffe's Sawmill closed for many years now) so was raised on trout fishing, duck shooting, deer stalking and pig hunting.

Over the years I have fished most of the lakes and a few of the streams in the area.
Te Awa camp on the Rangitaiki was a favourite when I first moved to Rotorua. My son has followed in the family footsteps and now supplies the venison.
I am married with 2 grown up children, daughter in London and son and his family in Golden Springs.
Cheers

IP Logged

jet32a

Reply #64 - Nov 16th, 2008 at 3:49am
Print Post  
Hi I am Nick Brown I am a fulltime firefighter in Christchurch.
I have just started hunting and missed out on my first deer the other day.
I am also a mad keen salmon fisherman and enjoy the salmon season very much. Having a jet boat and 4 days off each week is brillant.
I am more than happy to take anyone who might be interested in salmon but for whateva reason is having a hard time getting on to them.
Or perhaps I could do a trade for hunting leasons lol.

Nick

IP Logged

rodney mcsuperchrist
Forum Senior

it was like that when
I got here

Reply #65 - Nov 19th, 2008 at 6:26am
Print Post  
I'm Lionel been fly fishing for years, and have started shooting the odd animal. Get out fishing as much as I can, which isn't nearly enough. If anyones keen for a splash on a weekend round christchurch let me know. Normally have room to squeeze someone in the boot. So long as you don't warm up the beers.

IP Logged

troutsleigher
Ex Member

Reply #66 - Dec 4th, 2008 at 5:47am
Print Post  
Hey im Cam,19 from the hawkes bay keen spin and fly fisherman for 13 years grew up fishing the tuki tuki/waipawa and mohaka get out for the odd deer stalk with the m8s and oldman every once ina blue moon..?hey anyone how do you upload profile pictures haha?

IP Logged

kiwilad
Ex Member

Reply #67 - Dec 7th, 2008 at 8:25am
Print Post  
I am Alan from Auckland ..born in Gore and fished for years moved to Auckland in 2000 and do not have a clue lol went out Saturday did not see a fish or catch a thing apart from a stick which my dog got

and way thats me

IP Logged

Reddy

•Mother nature is a bitch

Reply #68 - Dec 15th, 2008 at 9:00am
Print Post  
Blair, grew up on 1000 acres west of Piopio (near Te Kuiti) surrounded by bush and rivers. Any spare time I get is spent fly fishing on my local rivers, or hunting. Currently living in Taupo, working at a hotel (spend more time on here than I do working  Grin)

Become one with Nature......... Then Marinade it

IP Logged

Grunt Futtick
Donor Member

of television.

Reply #69 - May 11th, 2009 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
This was lost back on page 6. Thought it night be agood idea to bring it back to the front of the que. Smiley

IP Logged

Freed0m
Forum Font

BOOM by .308

Reply #70 - May 12th, 2009 at 12:56am
Print Post  
Ill start it off.
Nick C. Born and bred in the Bay of Pleanty, Rotorua to be specific.

Fishing Grounds - Rotorua lakes and streams, you might catch me at the Waiiti stream on a cold night flashing the sh**t out of a crusty old green lumo or dredging the bottom of Okatina with a copper line. Also spend a fair amount of times chasing snaps up the east coast.

Demons Slayed- Couple of Rainbows topping 10lb and a few browns over 10lb. 22lb Snapper, 38lb Kingi.

Current Employment - Student at Otago.

Favorite Spot - Waiiti Stream Mouth.

Fly Rods Snapped - 3.   Cry Cry

As a tiddler - Used to ride my bike at 3am to the Lake Road pond during winter to wait for the street light to go out so I could see my indicators. Grin Grin

Fish n Hunt, making Friday come quicker since 2008.

IP Logged

keen az
Forum Senior

get into it,not out of
it

Reply #71 - May 12th, 2009 at 7:52am
Print Post  
Hi Team...
Matt Hartnell here,live in chch ad enjoy the old fishing.i mainly fish in the rakaia for salmon... caught a few trout but all on spinning rod.i fish coleridge and local rivers like halswell etc....
i am hooked on the Hunting side of things at the moment so fishing wasnt hapning alot last season...
Good luck and catch u round..
Keen As

IP Logged

landlock101
Forum Font

Labralux

Reply #72 - May 12th, 2009 at 8:19am
Print Post  
nice to meet you mat, hope you get more fishing done next season.  Cheesy

IP Logged

scottrods
Forum Font

Aim small, Hit small

Reply #73 - May 16th, 2009 at 6:17am
Print Post  
Jonathan - aka Scottrods.

35odd. Live near ChCh. Full time job is at Hamilton Jet, Production Engineer supporting Industrial Jet controls. Share my fishing addiction with 2 young kids both into their active sports etc and my wife's scrap-book hobby.

I enjoy tying flies and Fly fishing, though I will use the spinning rod if conditions dictate it.

Also a member of the Canterbury Fly Fishing Club. We've had Simon Chu, Stu, Clark Reid and some others for a talk at the club. About 140 members incl ladies at the club. Lots of local personalities there too. Check it out on www.cantafly.com.

I enjoy Canty High Country lakes and some small streams mainly for my fishing but have been spotted in Southland poaching the local rivers during a hatch.  Cheesy

Kids who learn to Hunt and Fish,
Don't learn to Steal and Deal.

IP Logged

keen az
Forum Senior

get into it,not out of
it

Reply #74 - May 17th, 2009 at 1:12am
Print Post  
yea u 2 landlocked.....mmmmmm maybe just depends if im in the need for more red meat! or a few 2 horned heads Cheesy

IP Logged

Aunty
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Forum Slapper

Reply #75 - May 17th, 2009 at 2:58am
Print Post  
Simon, aka 300winmag, aunty 300, forum slapper, and many other obsenities

38 from west auckland ( rural )

2 great daughters and a wife who can be great when she feels like it

debt collector aka 'financial counsellor'

hunting - fishing - offshore race boats - powerlifting - dogs

Full tit. Nothing else.
IP Logged

SIKADDICTION.
Forum Font

Addicted to Sika hunting

Reply #76 - May 17th, 2009 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
hello may name is jamie an i a SIKA ADDICT!
im 27 from papamoa living in london for a little longer doing an o.e.
Have fished most of the tauranga coast line from land an alot of the harbor aswell.
dont have a boat myself but jump at the chance of motiti/mayor trips.
Love kingi an snapper fishing when im not hunting deer.
i have not done much freah water fishing but if im in an good  area hunting, ill have a telescopic rod an spinner for a quick flick.

IP Logged

The Badger
Forum Font

'Badger on the other hand,
he's basically a bum'

Reply #77 - May 17th, 2009 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
Hey guys,

My name is Jack and I'm a trout-aholic. This affliction caught me many years ago and I feel it is not an addiction I can shake. I'm at Canterbury Uni part way through Law and Arts degrees. I've done a fair bit of saltwater fishing in the Wellington region, but fresh water is my passion. I've fished a lot in the Wellington region and am just starting to learn a bit more about the Canterbury fishing scene. My main issue is a lack of transport, so if any of you guys are heading off on a trip and have a spare spot then I'd jump at the chance (+ supply the beers!). I enjoy tying flies, although I'm not fantastic at it.

Hope to catch up with some of you guys for a fish or a beer.

Jack

IP Logged

upsidedown
Forum Senior

Reply #78 - May 18th, 2009 at 11:47am
Print Post  
Im Jarrad

I live in the sunny Hawkes Bay and fish my local rivers as much as I can. Would say my home river is the RUAKITURI. Have access to a house on the river so try and get up there as much as posible.

Back country fishing as good as it gets........but its a day and half walk out!!!!

If anyone is interested in staying in the house you can PM me.

Happy fishing see you out there!!!

IP Logged

trouttraveller
Ex Member

Reply #79 - May 18th, 2009 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
upsidedown wrote on May 18th, 2009 at 11:47am:
Im Jarrad

I live in the sunny Hawkes Bay and fish my local rivers as much as I can. Would say my home river is the RUAKITURI. Have access to a house on the river so try and get up there as much as posible.

A hilux a place on the ruakituri -what more could a keen man ask for

Back country fishing as good as it gets........but its a day and half walk out!!!!

If anyone is interested in staying in the house you can PM me.

Happy fishing see you out there!!!

IP Logged

iceman
Ex Member

Reply #80 - May 19th, 2009 at 3:01am
Print Post  
Richard, aka Iceman, aka RTR, aka cross dresser trying out for the silver ferns.

Getting a bit long in the tooth, actually nah I dont have any teeth.

Wonganooey, Wanganui, Whanganui, Fonganooey, you choose.

3 Rsole boys who only want to fishnhunt, no idea of putting work first.

One scary 53kg bolt of lightning meaner than a rednose pitty misses

I try to balance = hours with the misses, with = hours in the Bush and with my Rod in my hand. The missus keeps telling me that with my poor maths (time management) skills I will always have my rod in my hand longer than most.  Smiley

IP Logged

Aunty
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Forum Slapper

Reply #81 - May 19th, 2009 at 3:09am
Print Post  
Quote:
Richard, aka Iceman, aka RTR, aka cross dresser trying out for the silver ferns.

I try to balance = hours with the misses, with = hours in the Bush and with my Rod in my hand. The missus keeps telling me that with my poor maths skills I will always have my rod in my hand longer than most.  Smiley

tell us something new ice its called being a wanker Grin

Full tit. Nothing else.
IP Logged

iceman
Ex Member

Reply #82 - May 19th, 2009 at 3:15am
Print Post  
Aunty wrote on May 19th, 2009 at 3:09am:
Quote:

I try to balance = hours with the misses, with = hours in the Bush and with my Rod in my hand. The missus keeps telling me that with my poor maths (time management)  skills I will always have my rod in my hand longer than most.  Smiley

tell us something new ice its called being married Grin

Grin Grin

IP Logged

Tikka T3
Forum Font

Reply #83 - May 19th, 2009 at 3:21am
Print Post  
Nah aunty got it right Tongue

When did I realise I was God? While I was praying I realised I was talking to myself.

IP Logged

iceman
Ex Member

Reply #84 - May 19th, 2009 at 4:09am
Print Post  
Tikka T3 wrote on May 19th, 2009 at 3:21am:
Nah aunty got it right Tongue

True.   Grin
Now tell me,  Do you want people to accept you the way you are, or do you actually want them to like you!!!

IP Logged

Tikka T3
Forum Font

Reply #85 - May 19th, 2009 at 4:21am
Print Post  
Never considered it a problem either way Smiley

When did I realise I was God? While I was praying I realised I was talking to myself.

IP Logged

whereami
Donor Member

Today, you people are
no longer maggots.

Reply #86 - May 19th, 2009 at 4:26am
Print Post  
you should Grin

IP Logged

Tikka T3
Forum Font

Reply #87 - May 19th, 2009 at 4:29am
Print Post  
Why Roll Eyes
Hey don't pick on me I wasn't the one who called him a wanker I was just agreeing Wink

IP Logged

iceman
Ex Member

Reply #88 - May 19th, 2009 at 4:39am
Print Post  
Tikka T3 wrote on May 19th, 2009 at 4:29am:
Why Roll Eyes
Hey don't pick on me I wasn't the one who called him a wanker I was just agreeing Wink

Grin Grin
Look I completely understand your feelings, if nature had been that unkind to me I would be the same mate Wink.

Wonky
Ankles
Now
Kurb
Extreme
Ridgelines

IP Logged

Tikka T3
Forum Font

Reply #89 - May 19th, 2009 at 5:14am
Print Post  
Hate to be the bearer of more bad news for you but all the photo's you have posted on here of yourself show that she has been Shocked Shocked Lips Sealed

IP Logged

trouttraveller
Ex Member

Reply #90 - May 19th, 2009 at 5:50am
Print Post  
Aunty wrote on May 19th, 2009 at 3:09am:
Quote:

I try to balance = hours with the misses, with = hours in the Bush and with my Rod in my hand. The missus keeps telling me that with my poor maths skills I will always have my rod in my hand longer than most.  Smiley

tell us something new ice its called being a wanker Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Brilliant - A link to this should be posted in every forum

How often do you see a guy discribe himself this way

Now no amending post in this forum Tongue Tongue

IP Logged

Tikka T3
Forum Font

Reply #91 - May 19th, 2009 at 6:28am
Print Post  
But does he fly fish?? Undecided

IP Logged

smokin salmon

Reply #92 - May 24th, 2009 at 4:39am
Print Post  
Yeah hi all.My name is Paul .Live on the outskirts of Christchurch close to most hunting and fishing spots.Proud father of Matt (Keenaz),Nick and stepdad (is that wat u say these days) of Scott (Landlock101) ,all whom have O.C.H.F.D.(occupational hunting and fishing dissorder).
Have fished for Salmon for not far short of 40 years ,mostly on the Rakaia river .Used to fish lures at night on the Halswell ,L2 etc where Ive caugth big brownies up to 13lb.
When I was a bit younger I used to read every Deer staking book ever written but never got to hunt.Since the boys have taken up this game I thought stuff it ,Im not stayin home and have discovered a real passion for being out there.Also shoot the odd duck.
Well thats me .Tight lines and smokin barrels.

IP Logged

landlock101
Forum Font

Labralux

Reply #93 - May 24th, 2009 at 5:49am
Print Post  
welcome aboard faggy Cheesy

IP Logged

smokin salmon

Reply #94 - May 24th, 2009 at 5:57am
Print Post  
Nice farmed trout in your avitar Landlock . Grin Grin

IP Logged

landlock101
Forum Font

Labralux

Reply #95 - May 24th, 2009 at 6:35am
Print Post  
smokin salmon wrote on May 24th, 2009 at 5:57am:
Nice farmed trout in your avitar Landlock . Grin Grin

just cast over the nets and the fun begins Wink

IP Logged

kiwial
Forum Senior

Reply #96 - May 24th, 2009 at 8:06am
Print Post  
giday,allan white's the name aka big al or just plain old al if you don't believe the rumors Grinim from the world famous flyfishing destination of wanganui and when ever im off hunting fur coverd mamals and there's a good river there a fly rod and and box of nymps and dries always seems to be added to the pack.my favourite local would have to be the upper manawatu

IP Logged

AndyH

Reply #97 - May 26th, 2009 at 1:59am
Print Post  
Andrew here, I have the mis fortune of being Cleaky's brother...  In my spare time (or stolen time...) I can be found packing a Beretta Exrema in the swamp, a Savage 7mm08 in the bush or a beaten up old CD rods 5/6 in any likely looking piece of water.  Sometimes the bath if I havent been out fishing for a while and need a quick fix...  I have been away in the UK for the last 4 years and at present am struggling for enough time to fit in all the fishing and hunting that I want to do.  Snuffit tells me that its not a race but I'm yet to be convinced....  Wink

Just moved to the Tron for a job.  First time I have lived in Te Waikato so if anyone has anything to teach me about the local area and its rivers/hills, or even which forum members to avoid  Wink I would be muchly appreciative.  

GTalk  
IP Logged

cleaky
Forum Font

... pass me my 16 gauge,
I'll handle this ...

Reply #98 - May 26th, 2009 at 2:26am
Print Post  
Charming.

IP Logged

Aunty
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Forum Slapper

Reply #99 - May 26th, 2009 at 2:42am
Print Post  
AndyH wrote on May 26th, 2009 at 1:59am:
Andrew here, I have the mis fortune of being Cleaky's brother...  In my spare time (or stolen time...) I can be found packing a Beretta Exrema in the swamp, a Savage 7mm08 in the bush or a beaten up old CD rods 5/6 in any likely looking piece of water.  Sometimes the bath if I havent been out fishing for a while and need a quick fix...  I have been away in the UK for the last 4 years and at present am struggling for enough time to fit in all the fishing and hunting that I want to do.  Snuffit tells me that its not a race but I'm yet to be convinced....  Wink

Just moved to the Tron for a job.  First time I have lived in Te Waikato so if anyone has anything to teach me about the local area and its rivers/hills, or even which forum members to avoid  Wink I would be muchly appreciative.  

my heart goes out to you, you poor cu*t

Full tit. Nothing else.
IP Logged

iceman
Ex Member

Reply #100 - May 26th, 2009 at 2:59am
Print Post  
AndyH wrote on May 26th, 2009 at 1:59am:
Andrew here, I have the mis fortune of being Cleaky's brother...   also which forum members to avoid  Wink

Hi AndyH,  I can say from personal experience ya parents are good buggers, not so sure about ya little bro Smiley. as for which forum members to avoid,  Huh I reccomend you give all  them poaching buggers a wide berth. Grin

IP Logged

cleaky
Forum Font

... pass me my 16 gauge,
I'll handle this ...

Reply #101 - May 26th, 2009 at 2:59am
Print Post  
That's nasty 300. Just plain, old fashioned, no holds barred, f**king nasty. Wink

IP Logged

cleaky
Forum Font

... pass me my 16 gauge,
I'll handle this ...

Reply #102 - May 26th, 2009 at 3:05am
Print Post  
AndyH is the little bro ice  Wink Although he's not as scrawny as me ...

IP Logged

iceman
Ex Member

Reply #103 - May 26th, 2009 at 3:14am
Print Post  
cleaky wrote on May 26th, 2009 at 3:05am:
AndyH is the little bro ice  Wink Although he's not as scrawny as me ...

Grin  sometimes wish I was your build Cleaky, make it easier to get under/through them boundary fences for sure Wink Grin Grin Tongue in cheek guys Tongue Tongue dont hate me.

IP Logged

cleaky
Forum Font

... pass me my 16 gauge,
I'll handle this ...

Reply #104 - May 26th, 2009 at 3:20am
Print Post  
Quote:
cleaky wrote on May 26th, 2009 at 3:05am:
AndyH is the little bro ice  Wink Although he's not as scrawny as me ...

Grin  sometimes wish I was your build Cleaky, make it easier to get under/through them boundary fences for sure Wink Grin Grin Tongue in cheek guys Tongue Tongue dont hate me.

It has it's advantages iceman  Wink Like dodging raindrops, straight through fences and catching a breeze up hills  Grin

IP Logged

AndyH

Reply #105 - May 26th, 2009 at 7:14am
Print Post  
[/quote]

It has it's advantages iceman  Wink Like dodging raindrops, straight through fences and catching a breeze up hills  Grin [/quote]

Yeah I'm terrified whenever he puts a pack on...  Anyone thats seen those legs will know what I'm talking about...    Grin

GTalk  
IP Logged

cleaky
Forum Font

... pass me my 16 gauge,
I'll handle this ...

Reply #106 - May 26th, 2009 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Haven't snapped yet.  Cool

IP Logged

trouttraveller
Ex Member

Reply #107 - May 27th, 2009 at 4:11am
Print Post  
been offline for a few days

looks like we are gettin a increased share of rifraf on the freshwater forum Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Andyh - Iv heard there are a good number of fish at the mouth to the little waipa right now

stand upstream and swing a wollybugger into the mouth. You should nail a couple

Or spin around that area plenty of fish a bit further out from the mouth

IP Logged

cleaky
Forum Font

... pass me my 16 gauge,
I'll handle this ...

Reply #108 - May 27th, 2009 at 4:16am
Print Post  
Quote:
looks like we are gettin a increased share of rifraf on the freshwater forum Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

nowhere else will have us  Grin

IP Logged

AndyH

Reply #109 - May 27th, 2009 at 6:44am
Print Post  
cheers TT. May go have a wee look after the weekend.

GTalk  
IP Logged

duck-kila
Forum Senior

to  hunt and fish

Reply #110 - May 27th, 2009 at 7:02am
Print Post  
Quote:

Andyh - Iv heard there are a good number of fish at the mouth to the little waipa right now

Where are we  talking about The Little Waipa  I know feeds in to the Wiakato river ,is this same or another place?

oh and a way we go
IP Logged

iceman
Ex Member

Reply #111 - May 27th, 2009 at 8:28am
Print Post  
cleaky wrote on May 26th, 2009 at 8:32pm:
Haven't snapped yet.  Cool

Oh. so thats why they call em lucky legs, lucky they havnt snapped off and jammed up your rrrrrsss  Grin

IP Logged

trouttraveller
Ex Member

Reply #112 - May 27th, 2009 at 9:35am
Print Post  
duck-kila wrote on May 27th, 2009 at 7:02am:
Quote:

Where are we  talking about The Little Waipa  I know feeds in to the Wiakato river ,is this same or another place?

Mate wouldnt be fair to give away anymore details than that on the WWW  Smiley Smiley.
But if you can find the spot mentioned its well worth a fish right now.
Im thinking heading that way over the weekend. Will be google earthing the area friday evening with a mate and taking the kayaks. From there we will go exploring

IP Logged

cleaky
Forum Font

... pass me my 16 gauge,
I'll handle this ...

Reply #113 - May 27th, 2009 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
Quote:
cleaky wrote on May 26th, 2009 at 8:32pm:
Haven't snapped yet.  Cool

Oh. so thats why they call em lucky legs, lucky they havnt snapped off and jammed up your rrrrrsss  Grin

Precisely!  Grin

IP Logged

willowgrub
Forum Font

if you dont fish or hunt
i dont wanna know

Reply #114 - Feb 15th, 2010 at 6:54am
Print Post  
Hi my names Caleb ryder
and absolutely love fishing and hunting i live in ohoka north of christchurch and am lucky enough to live across from a small springfed creek which is full of cunning browns .My family come from balclutha and and the caitlins is my favourite area to target trout i dont have a flyrod because i have learned how to use my spinning rod to float flies in my local creek by  using the current.

Ruger m77 hawkeye 308.

IP Logged

Chris Dore
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #115 - Feb 15th, 2010 at 8:01am
Print Post  
Thanks Caleb, Ive been searching for this thread!

Chris Dore
Queenstown, NZ

IP Logged

capitaltrouter
Ex Member

Reply #116 - Feb 15th, 2010 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
Hi I'm Peter

Based in Wellington and been here for 2 years. Originally from Scotland, brought up fishing lochstyle for trout on Loch Leven and for Salmon and seatrout in various rivers (particularly the far north).

Had 2 years en route to NZ in Sydney where the fishing took a back seat but delighted to back into it here. Try to get out most weekends and have explored various streams around the region and in the Wairarapa.

Enjoy the variety of posts on the site - keep it coming!

Peter Smiley

IP Logged

Chris Dore
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #117 - Feb 15th, 2010 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
Im extremely interested in loch style techniques Peter, and emloy them to great success here on the southern lakes. Great to hear from you!

Chris Dore
Queenstown, NZ

IP Logged

Barrio
Ex Member

Reply #118 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
Hi guys, I'm Mike Smiley

Brought up in the South Island in Dunedin, Christchurch and Picton ...... I now live in Aberdeenshire, Scotland. I run a wee trout fishery offering fly fishing from boats on a small lake and when I can escape, I love to fish our local River Don for brownies Wink ...... I'm also a bit of a fly line geek! Grin

Best wishes
Mike

IP Logged

Rdogz

Take me to the water!

Reply #119 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Hey everyone, im Richard from Taranaki. I have fished for trout since i was 5, but have only fly fished for the last 3 years and am now mad about it! I spend the majority of my time fishing the infinite number of small streams flowing from mt Taranaki. It seems to be a very underrated and under fished area, iv only seen 3 other anglers over the 3 years on MANY fishing trips! Also I love the Lake taupo river mouth rip fishing, especially the western bays area. I love fishing the rips at night, its a world of its own!

IP Logged

Rockdoc

And finally.
Reply #120 - Mar 20th, 2010 at 8:48am
Print Post  
It's been a long road but the end is in sight. Our container is being packed on the 29th and we hop on a plane on the 7th April, landing in Westport on 9th April!

The rest of our lives is upon us!  Grin Grin

AP Smiley

It might be the early bird that catches the worm but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese...
IP Logged

Andy on L plates
Ex Member

Reply #121 - Apr 26th, 2010 at 1:48am
Print Post  
Hi all

I am an Aussie. There, I said it. Some say I went "against" the flow by moving from the GC to Wellington, but rather happy I did. Love my fishing but the world of fly is fairly new to me. I have a beginner's setup and try to get out when I can. The only success I have had to date is in lake Rotoiti and Tarawera- have struggled in the Wellington region. I recently joined this forum to hopefully change all that! Roll Eyes

There is some great info in here and I look forward to being a part of this community! I have also decided to join Wellington Fly Fisher Club. Any other members out there?

Cheers

IP Logged

Chris Dore
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #122 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 7:07am
Print Post  
An AUSSIE!!!!!! Just kidding mate. welcome aboard guys!!

Chris Dore
Queenstown, NZ

IP Logged

newcomer

Reply #123 - May 6th, 2010 at 5:02am
Print Post  
Hi all.
Max here, (maximus, rusky, newcomer).
Was born in cold side of Russia and brought up with vodka,potato, bear meat and salmons caviar  Smiley. I been around New Zealand for quite a long time( but never get rid of my accent) and consider it as home for me and my family. Thanks to many real NZ blokes who introduced and taught me how to fishnhunt properly in a country of big white cloud,
Recently graduate from Otago and come back to Big smoky Auckland.
Proud owner of the boat, two sons,daughter and wife.
Happy fishnhunt  Wink
cheers
Good example of hunting in Russia

IP Logged

Chris Dore
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #124 - May 14th, 2010 at 8:40am
Print Post  
Wouldnt want to be on a bunny shoot and encounter that lunker! Welcome aboard!

Chris Dore
Queenstown, NZ

IP Logged

Jacktrout

Reply #125 - May 19th, 2010 at 6:59am
Print Post  
I think it may be time to introduce myself

My names Jack, I'm a 17 year old high school student. I moved down to wanaka from Christchurch for the year to attend school and indulge myself in a few extra ciricular activities Wink. I started fly fishing when I was 9 but over the last few years I have been lucky enought to receive a fair bit of knowlege that has made me a better fisherman and a better caster Smiley

IP Logged

Mad68Kiwi

Its about getting out
there !!

Reply #126 - May 19th, 2010 at 8:20am
Print Post  
Kerry,

42 (soon) fly fanatic for the last 7 or so years... slowly getting better, but generally enjoy the outdoors no mater what the activity.  Don't get out enough, but sometimes every day wouldn't be enough! and yes Jack is a  darn good fisherman dedicated too!! hope the schooling is going well Dude ?

Is there life outside of Fly Fishing ??

IP Logged

Jacktrout

Reply #127 - May 19th, 2010 at 8:27am
Print Post  
Yeah man its awesome Smiley, unfortunatly didn't get the best host family tho Undecided

IP Logged

The Badger
Forum Font

he's basically a bum'

Reply #128 - May 19th, 2010 at 9:23am
Print Post  
I've heard some horror stories about host families for that sorta thing. I'm sure it could be worse. When do you come back up to chch?

IP Logged

Jacktrout

Reply #129 - May 19th, 2010 at 10:00am
Print Post  
The woman here is pretty bad, I'll be back in the school holidays in about 5 weeks

IP Logged

The Badger
Forum Font

he's basically a bum'

Reply #130 - May 19th, 2010 at 10:18am
Print Post  
I've always heard good things about the women of Queenstown  Tongue

IP Logged

Jacktrout

Reply #131 - May 19th, 2010 at 10:41am
Print Post  
This one isn't like any woman I have seen before (shiver)

IP Logged

Linz_w

Worst days fishing is
better than the best
days wo

Reply #132 - Jun 9th, 2010 at 4:51am
Print Post  
Lindsay Withington
Flyfisherman since '87 and still learning. Love flytying and thanks to some cool swaps on other forums have begun to tie alot more. Fish lots of rivers and lakes throught southland and otago. Smiley

IP Logged

Yorky

Remington  Model 700 (
308 )

Reply #133 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 1:37am
Print Post  
Hi ! Names Kevin I live at Katikati BOP. Not fly fished for years now though I still have 5 x Rods and 6 x Reels loaded with airflo lines. Used to tie my own nymphs, buzzers, lures etc,etc.
I was brought/Dragged up in Yorkshire UK and fished many waters around the country, The main ones been Rutland Water and Grafham Water Fishing mainly a team of three over the front of the boat Traditional style. Though there is nothing better in my books than a team of three Buzzers or Nymph/Emergers fished on a long line in the ripples from the bank.
You should just about be bored to tears now. Wink

Cheers

Kevin

IP Logged

GDT
Banned

Reply #134 - Jun 25th, 2010 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
Holy shit Kevin.... you know me, have fished next to you, sold you gas and wee willum cigars and gas.... you want to go trout fishing... give me a yell..

My name is Clark and I'm an alchol...... oh hang on, wrong meeting....

I'm sorry if I offended you when I called you stupid! I honestly thought you already knew!
IP Logged

Yorky

Remington  Model 700 (
308 )

Reply #135 - Jun 29th, 2010 at 4:51am
Print Post  
you are waaaaaaaay to expensive for me Clark  Roll Eyes, But thanks anyway.

Kevin

IP Logged

GDT
Banned

Reply #136 - Jun 30th, 2010 at 1:02am
Print Post  
Wasn't planning on charging you!

I'm sorry if I offended you when I called you stupid! I honestly thought you already knew!
IP Logged

FishSnatcher

Reply #137 - Jul 10th, 2010 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
Hey all, my names Ben, I'm 15 years old (Nearly 16!) I'm a student at high school in Dunedin. I've been fly-fishing for nearly 2 years now having moved on from spinning. Started fly-tying recently aswell, love all the sparkly stuff Cool.
Fish wherever and whenever I can around Otago/Southland.
If your in the area and keen for a fish give me a PM Smiley

IP Logged

contract4

Reply #138 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 7:26am
Print Post  
Hi all,
Manuel here from Rotorua. I moved here from New Mexico USA. Not very much trout fishing where I come from so never tried fly fishing until a year go. Did alot of bass fishing back home and its helped me lots with the fly fishing. Been here for almost 6 years now and am loving it. Anyone up for a fish around the Rotorua area just give me a yell.

IP Logged

GDT
Banned

Reply #139 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 6:56am
Print Post  
Well I should play the game I guess....

I am on this forum primarily for the arguments about training gundogs, but sometimes they get boring and I would rather argue about trout fishing.

I started flyfishing when I was 10 years old... that's 36 years ago...  Angry

At 14 I started tying flies commercially and started my own fly-tying business. At seventeen I was delivering flies to a lodge who were short a guide and asked me to take their client fihsing. We went and my client caught more fish  than the "Pro-guides" clients..t hat was at Solitaire Lodge at Lake Tarawera. From there I went to Waikato River Lodge and met Randall Kaufmann who mentored me and put me on the right track. I then guided for Huka Lodge but left (following a woman) to the Wairarapa and guided there for a few years. I got an offer from Heli-Sika, a Helicopter company to be their guide and stayed with them for five years. I then broke up a relationship with another woman and headed back to my hometown of CHCH where I spent 7 years as a musician supplementing my income with guiding on the high country rivers, lakes and tarns of Canterbury.  Poronui Ranch made me a very attractive offer to come back as one of their senior guides in 2001 and I did and then later took on the role of Product Development manager for Umpqua Feather Merchants for a couple of years. I gave up guiding and got addicted to saltwater fly and moved to be closer to the ocean.

I now live in the Bay of Plenty and fish primarily for Kingfish, Mako's, Snapper, Trevally, Kahawai and anything else I can convince to take a fly but still do a handful of freshwater trips a year. I train gundogs for a living, sing for my supper and write a lot about fishing but rarely guide anymore.

I have been an Umpqua Signature Tier for about 16 years, a member of TEAM SAGE for about 10 (associated with the brand for 20) and basically live breath and revel in life in the fantastic NZ Outdoors.

I was the youngest ever member of the NZPFGA and was wise enough to find a woman who loves to run petrol stations so her boss and I can go fishing together a lot!!!!! (She still makes me do at least two shifts a week in the Katikati site so if passing through check the name badge of the goon selling you gas... if it says CLARK... talk fishing to me baby!!!!) We have a partnership in a fishing business in Katikati, my dog training business, I write about gundog training and fishing and fly tying and am still associated with SAGE, UMPQUA and RIO...

Life is a good time I have no plans to waste.......

Oh yeah... I'm an FFF certified casting instructor..... Embarrassed

IP Logged

Yorky

Remington  Model 700 (
308 )

Reply #140 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 7:20am
Print Post  
Bugger ! Clark.
You`ve been about abit.
Ok so I used to fly fish. and tie flies. But all that fades into insignificance after reading that Clark.
Good on ya. I may just join you for a day when ive sorter my shit out, Shocked Shocked
Dont hold your breath, Roll Eyes Roll Eyes lololol

Cheers

Kevin

IP Logged

Bob.
Donor Member

Huntfishhunt

Reply #141 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 7:52am
Print Post  
Ill hava go to then!

i been fly fishing since 9, I love the spinrod just as much, if not to a degree moreso!

I lived on the rivers edge of the motueka growing up, and spent every waking moment there, Ive salmon fished since I was 12 and spent every summer holiday growing up at the rangitata river, and still return to this day!
Im just getting into saltwater fly, and have landed some great Albies thus far, and aspire to catch a Big bluefin on the fly (impossible).
Im into hunting a reloading as much as the former!

I began some guiding when i was still at school at aspired to do this as a career, but when leaving school I ended up on commercial fishing boat, I crewed for a year before my skipper decided I was a special little boy and left me to it as skipper on my 18th birthday. I specialize in long lining, trawlings for gimps!
I did the business and Ive never looked back, and am now off to school to sit my NZOM to make the move to the big boats ( bring on my big comfy skipper cabin Cool ).

this new moves gonna give me way more time for my hobbies as its a 2 weeks on 2 weeks off outfit, so looking forward to way more fishing this year!

My names not bob by the way!

SUPER KEYBOARD POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

aDDer
Ex Member

Reply #142 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 9:10am
Print Post  
Hey guys! Been lurking for about a week now, figured I should say hello.
I'm Don & I from Brisbane ............yes an Aussie.
Most of my fly fishing is saltwater but I do get to the South island each year for 4 or 5 weeks.
Lot of great info on here and some nice pics I hope to contribute some soon.
Looking forward to catching up with some friends.

IP Logged

Norton
Ex Member

Reply #143 - Aug 14th, 2010 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
Chris Dore wrote on Aug 19th, 2008 at 8:26am:
So I like to know to whom I am talking, so who are we all?

Im Chris Dore, based in Queenstown and I would class the Mataura as my home water - or rather the one on which I like to spend the most time. I like the challenges of the Mataura - you can take it however you feel: on lazy days I can throw nymphs through the ripples for a bit of fun, and if I am up for it, I can hit those glassy glides and foam lines for choosy trout requiring technical presentations.

Chris

IP Logged

Norton
Ex Member

Reply #144 - Aug 14th, 2010 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
Well, I am Norton Webber from the States and I am saddened to read that the 'fender beater," Ron Todd passed away. I hope the moderator reads this so I can relate about my experiences with Ron and Betty. I was in NZ twice in '86 and my wife and I visited in '94  and have so many fond memories to share.

IP Logged

Southendstalka
Donor Member

Reply #145 - Aug 18th, 2010 at 7:50am
Print Post  
Hi Sam here from Dunedin.Am  28 and been ff for bout 10 years,i am a mad keen hunter aslo but still think about fishing most days during the winter months,you could say i am ADDICTED!!!Have found some nice local streams,after living in Wanaka for a few years and really getting into up there,but have adjusted to a different environment and have had alot of fun.Am still after the elusive double digit brownie but have been close a couple of times.Cicadas this last Feb/Mar were blowing my mind and i was taking time off work just to be hitting it!!!

IP Logged

Chris Dore
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #146 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 8:54am
Print Post  
Quote:
I hope the moderator reads this so I can relate about my experiences with Ron and Betty. 

I'm reading it Norton. What would you like to share?

Welcome to the forum.

Chris Dore
Queenstown, NZ

IP Logged

Vicki
Ex Member

Reply #147 - Sep 1st, 2010 at 6:54am
Print Post  
hi all. been trying to get on to this site for months, but can not get my computa to reply to posts, im in nelson and  been fishing for the last 20 years off and on, going to get a bit more dedicated this year, will be down south canterbury in march for 2 weeks in a campa would like to catch up with some of you guys, like wise if you are up this way.got some good trips organised for this season, flying into the karamea this year,something ive always had on my bucket list

IP Logged

moffy
Just Joined

u dont get em from bed

Reply #148 - Sep 26th, 2010 at 2:55am
Print Post  
names tim, 19 years
from chch but now work in carew
got a cheeky as black lab bitch
try to follow the seasons with the fishing, diving, hunting
have my fair share of luck with it all but dont get out as much as id like to.

IP Logged

Fred

Fish, Fish, Fish, is there
anything else in life?

Reply #149 - Oct 5th, 2010 at 3:26am
Print Post  
Hi I'm Fred.
I live in Omakau (where the hell is that!!!) in Central Otago.
I'm a total amateur when it comes to freshwater fishing, and one of those lower class plebbs as I still fish with a spinner. It's fun and I don't appologise either.

IP Logged

The Badger
Forum Font

he's basically a bum'

Reply #150 - Oct 5th, 2010 at 3:44am
Print Post  
Welcome aboard mate. You'll learn a heap on here if you stick around. Plenty of guys spinning too, although most probably fly fish (We'll do our best to convert ya  Tongue )

IP Logged

fencer

Reply #151 - Oct 5th, 2010 at 8:47am
Print Post  
I'm Warren.
I live and work in Te Anau try to spend as many days on the rivers here as i can and spend wet rainy days in the office tying flies for the next day out.  Been fishing for years only picked the fly rod back up couple of seasons ago.

IP Logged

ScottL
Ex Member

Reply #152 - Oct 7th, 2010 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
Hi, I'm Scott. I'm over from Scotland studying at Otago uni until July 2011. I've been here 3 months and have been out starting to explore different rivers a good bit. I've been fly fishing for a couple of seasons now and earlier this year passed my GAIC casting instructors test in the UK.

I hope I can meet some new folk and pick up some new ideas on flies and methods and the likes during my time here.  Wink

IP Logged

willowgrub
Forum Font

if you dont fish or hunt
i dont wanna know

Reply #153 - Oct 8th, 2010 at 2:37am
Print Post  
Welcome mate Wink

Ruger m77 hawkeye 308.

IP Logged

wantab
Forum Senior

It I can't take a gun
or rod I'm not going!

Reply #154 - Oct 14th, 2010 at 6:20am
Print Post  
Hi  My name is Mike and I am just getting back into trout fishing after a to longer break. Krico took me to Turangi to fish the mighty "T" a few weeks ago. I have never fish there & loved it...catching fish helped Smiley  So yeah I have the bug & NEED to get set up & get out there..

If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got.. Try something new this Duck season

IP Logged

ScottL
Ex Member

Reply #155 - Oct 15th, 2010 at 9:05am
Print Post  
Cheers willowgrub.

Welcome wantab from another new member!  Wink

IP Logged

ikefish
Ex Member

Reply #156 - Oct 26th, 2010 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
Hi all. My name is Isaac (Ike) and I currently live in Dunedin while wrapping up my studies. Been fly fishing fanatically for a few years, and have loved reading stuff on this forum when unable to get out. Thought it was about time I actually signed up!

IP Logged

The Badger
Forum Font

he's basically a bum'

Reply #157 - Oct 27th, 2010 at 3:02am
Print Post  
Assume it's Ikemalpass from flyshop? Welcome to the darkside. Things aren't quite so formal here (which can be a good thing at times), and there's heaps of great debate and discussion. Not to mention lots of shit-stirring. Smiley

IP Logged

ikefish
Ex Member

Reply #158 - Oct 27th, 2010 at 3:51am
Print Post  
That's me Badger. Cheers. Been loving reading some of the reports that have gone up on this forum for that reason. A lot of cool and funny stuff. Smiley

IP Logged

Ru
Ex Member

Reply #159 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 9:05am
Print Post  
Hi. Name's Ru, am 25 and a pom, but live in Wanaka - have been here for the last couple of years. I have been fly fishing since I was very young, but kind of had a big gap without fishing before I came to New Zealand due to how prohibitively expensive it is in the UK. Being here has definitely rekindled my love for the sport. Fish pretty much only C&R.
I'm a snowsports photographer in the winter (http://www.ruvophoto.com) and am currently unemployed but loving it haha.

IP Logged

The Badger
Forum Font

he's basically a bum'

Reply #160 - Nov 27th, 2010 at 7:24am
Print Post  
Welcome aboard Ru. Look forward to seeing some of your photography! You're in the right part of the world for both the fishing and the snowsports.

IP Logged

UFO
Forum Senior

Entering Earth's atmosphere

Reply #161 - Jan 15th, 2011 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
Hello All , Awesome site you have got going here Smiley I have been lurking for a couple of weeks and decided I would join the madness .

My name is Paul , 28 years old and keen as fisherman.

I grew up in Otago and could probably name likely spots on most of the rivers and lakes in the area . I know the Tairei like the back of my hand and have had two 10lb trout out of it . I have moved to Canterbury about 4 years back and am now at the bottom of the rung for spots .

My kids are starting to leave me alone now as they grow up so I have a bit more time to sneak out and have definitely caught the fishing bug again Smiley

Catch you all around  Cool

No deal .

IP Logged

GDT
Banned

Reply #162 - Jan 15th, 2011 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
Welcome.... far out, how old were you when you started having kids???? Grin

IP Logged

UFO
Forum Senior

Reply #163 - Jan 16th, 2011 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
By growing up I meant they are not completely helpless babies . They have graduated to annoying walkers . They can now reach the pantry door handle so I figure I can leave them for a few days at a a time now Smiley

No deal .

IP Logged

GDT
Banned

Reply #164 - Jan 17th, 2011 at 1:45am
Print Post  
Wink

IP Logged

Walksalot

Nothing beats a night
under the stars

Reply #165 - Jan 17th, 2011 at 8:31am
Print Post  
Hi guys/girls,

I live in Balcairn, North of Christchurch. Love the outdoors and do some hunting, fly fishing in salt and fresh water, fly tying, and diving.

Enjoy tramping for trout, or fishing off the coast or boat for another species on the saltwater fly.

Have not managed to catch a decent size salmon on the fly yet but should be able to chase that goal in 2011.

Been lucky enough to have fished in many countries and to catch a variety of species on stillwaters and rivers. My most enjoyable catches have been to hard to tempt fish with a home made fly.

I life on a small farm with my wife and nearly 8 year old son.

Look forward to share some war stories with you one day, have heaps where the big only just got away...

Cheers,
rob

I started feeling old. Then picked up hunting. Now I just feel sore most of the time. Slowly getting younger though.
IP Logged

UFO
Forum Senior

Reply #166 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 4:49am
Print Post  
Welcome Rob Smiley

No deal .

IP Logged

Walksalot

Nothing beats a night
under the stars

Reply #167 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 4:55am
Print Post  
Hello Paul,

Most of my possies are unfortunately also down Otago way...

If you feel like exploring some rivers up here feel free to send me a message.

rob

I started feeling old. Then picked up hunting. Now I just feel sore most of the time. Slowly getting younger though.
IP Logged

threadlines
Ex Member

Reply #168 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
Hi all. I am into lightweight spinning for trout. I am living in Dunedin and love exploring the waters of Otago and Southland... With all the water I have to choose from its easy to forget how lucky I am sometimes... Look forward to sharing some good stories with you all!

IP Logged

Mike H
Forum Font

Reply #169 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
Welcome aboard, look forward to hearing those stories Smiley

IP Logged

threadlines
Ex Member

Reply #170 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
a couple more posts and they can have photos to back them up...  Wink

IP Logged

UFO
Forum Senior

Reply #171 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 8:04am
Print Post  
Welcome threadlines . I will have to check out any of your photo's to see if I can recognise any familiar water Smiley

No deal .

IP Logged

dvostvo

i'll be back at 5 to ....

Reply #172 - Jan 22nd, 2011 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
http://img204.imageshack.us/i/3marsalmon2009.jpg/
hi steve .. a bay boy ( B.O.I  that is ) ....basic hunter fisho ... trying  to get this post a pic sorted today ...hoping this works ..living in northland ..more to come if this works ..
Cool

holy smoke ..did ya see the size of that lil buga !
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

dvostvo

Reply #173 - Jan 22nd, 2011 at 11:40pm
Print Post  
ok .. thats the link .. but how do i post the pic ?.. any advice / help appreciated .. Huh

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

dvostvo

Reply #174 - Jan 23rd, 2011 at 3:15am
Print Post  

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

dvostvo

Reply #175 - Jan 23rd, 2011 at 3:25am
Print Post  

Uploaded with ImageShack.us and again ...

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

dvostvo

Reply #176 - Jan 23rd, 2011 at 3:39am
Print Post  
yaaaay ! at last .. thanks to willowgrub .. cheers mate ..
have been a salty most of my life  but always had a hankering for trout and of course salmon later on .. only got into fly fishing for trout about 5 or 6 years ago .. flew my first flyline out at lake waikaremoana using a mates outfit .. never hooked anything but when we went back next summer i made sure i had my own set .. had a wonderful time and was hooked again ! a new challenge and learning curve ,..next it  Cheesywas salmon in the south island .. read a bit about it .. got some great advice and help off a couple of fellas on here ..big hand for salmoner plz ...and as a result ..my first trip south hooked and landed this 15 lb beauty out of a canoe trolling for trout !!..this would have been one of top 5 fish battles of all time ! .. luck of the irish i believe ! smoked up it was AWESOME ! ..next year back down again with my mate duncan for salmon again  ..plus trout ..we both got a salmonn each out of the rakaia ( pretty jammie eh ! ) ..plus more than our quota of browns inland ..have had a fabulous time stalking trout !! its just like hunting ! ..but with a fly rod .. still fishing in the BOI ...the salt is in my veins ...now my boy is free diving spearing ..life in NZ !! ..haven't found anywhere better yet !  Cheesy

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

willowgrub
Forum Font

if you dont fish or hunt
i dont wanna know

Reply #177 - Jan 23rd, 2011 at 7:13am
Print Post  
Welcome mate, glad to see you got imageshack working Smiley. Thats a cracker of a fish and I'm sure he put up an awesome fight out of the "yak" A fishing buddy I know, catches a few out of his kayak off the coast down here Cool.+ I use a similar kayak to yours and catch a trout or two out of it each year. Sounds like you got the salmon sorted anyway Grin.

Ruger m77 hawkeye 308.

IP Logged