Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) The new apprentice (Read 24717 times)
Kaimaikarl
Forum Font

The new apprentice
Aug 19th, 2008 at 12:44am
Print Post  
The new young guys/girls always get a bit of stick when they first get into hunting its part of the initiation.

There were three of us including a new apprentice heading into the spot x for a long weekend. The last trip the new apprentices wasn’t so sure what to bring food or gear wise so had gone with the everything but the kitchen sink option. Dinner for the weekend included 4 cans of bake beans, a kilo of rice two packs of biscuits a pack of chips and two boxes of muesli bars not to mention the whole potatoes which meant a potatoes masher and a pot were somewhere in his pack also. Even if we did get stuck in there for longer than planned there was still plenty of food to keep us and a small army going for a week or two. The 2 swandry’s, one encase the other got wet or bloody all added to weight and to be honest I’m still not sure how he got it all in his pack. The walk in should have taken about 2 hours at a moderate pace but the pure weight of the pack meant at 3hours we were still a good half hour away.

A couple of weeks later another trip into the same location was planned. To save the new apprentice some discomfort we offered that he didn’t worry about food and that we could just share the food with him up there. Food wise he only had to bring a bit of lunch and a lemon encase we caught a trout.

The second evening we managed to catch a trout. ‘OH NO” the new apprentice says. “shit oh no no no!” what’s wrong we ask? Thinking something major has gone wrong.
‘I forgot the lemon’ the apprentice tells us.  My uncle looks up and gives me a wink.
‘no worries buddy, you should have told us early we could have got one on the way in’
‘really’ the new apprentice asks ‘a lemon tree up here?’
“yea there’s loads” my uncle says “you know that tea tree clearing we walked through yesterday just off the track? Well its just behind there on the right hand side” the apprentice is quite relived at the fact that he can be let of the hook so decides to go and retrieve one for us.

Now the clearing was only 10mins from the campsite but an hour and ahalf latter the confused apprentice returns. “I could find it” he tells us in a rather disappointed fashion. We burst out laughing.  “there’s no lemon tree there is there???”

Prise less

The next hunt he came on he brought a lemon just encase  Grin

Having a new ‘apprentice’ come along on hunts was one of the best thing that happened to me as it meant I was left alone.  Cheesy

IP Logged

cleaky
Forum Font

... pass me my 16 gauge,
I'll handle this ...

Re: The new apprentice
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 3:28am
Print Post  
Grin Grin Grin

I pity apprentices, really I do ... I know what iceman tells any apprentice that goes goat hunting with him.  Lips Sealed

It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right.

IP Logged

TJ
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Reply #2 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 3:47am
Print Post  
Back in 04 when I started as  draftsman the favorite trick was to send one of the punters off to ask someone for a long wait. After 15 minutes they would be told that it was long enough and sent away again

IP Logged

Carlsen Highway
Ex Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #3 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 5:24am
Print Post  
The bank version of that is to send the new guy to another bank asking them for some spare verbal agreeement forms. (Wife works in banks)

In the shipping busniess, they get sent down below to ask the Chief Engineer for the golden rivet.

IP Logged

sika seeker
Forum Senior

Reply #4 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
we were fortunate to be forewarned about the golden rivet,by the first poor mug who got caught,however
I have seen someone sent to the store for a fallopian tube,and od's sent across to one of the frigates with milk for the seacat ( missile system  ).

IP Logged

Weathered
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Amor Fati

Reply #5 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
DSV [Diving support Vessels} have an open central column in the middle of the boat big enough to launch the bell through.  We have sent new guys to pump it out  Grin

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

IP Logged

12pointer
Forum Font

You haven't shot many,
if you havent missed
a few.

Reply #6 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 11:48pm
Print Post  
cleaky wrote on Aug 19th, 2008 at 3:28am:
Grin Grin Grin

I pity apprentices, really I do ... I know what iceman tells any apprentice that goes goat hunting with him.  Lips Sealed

Undecided this isnt a deviant act he is supossed do do to the goat as a form of initiation into the ranks, is it Undecided, i think i know that one Grin Grin

IP Logged

whereami
Donor Member

Today, you people are
no longer maggots.

Reply #7 - Aug 23rd, 2008 at 2:49am
Print Post  
we used to send beginers off to the engineering shop to get two bits of wood welded together

IP Logged

BC
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Aug 23rd, 2008 at 3:24am
Print Post  
whereami wrote on Aug 23rd, 2008 at 2:49am:
we used to send beginers off to the engineering shop to get two bits of wood welded together

Whereami, do you remember when you were my apprentice the time that I sent you off to buy some tartan paint Cheesy

IP Logged

whereami
Donor Member

Today, you people are
no longer maggots.

Reply #9 - Aug 23rd, 2008 at 4:58am
Print Post  
and the sky hook Grin

IP Logged

Sako75
Forum Font

Reply #10 - Aug 23rd, 2008 at 5:05am
Print Post  
Orange peel for the paint and a box of sparks for the grinder.

As I hurtled through space, one thought kept crossing my mind - every part of this rocket was supplied by the lowest bidder. 
- John Glenn

IP Logged

iceman
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Aug 23rd, 2008 at 9:12am
Print Post  
Grin Grin. we used to take youngins on club hunts, many tales to tell, but this one will do for now. My mate and I paired up to take a new club member under our wing for a week end trip, we explained everything and mentioned that we would supply the food etc and then split the costs. My Mate has a large wooden food case which duly was loaded onto the ute with all the other gear, meal time came round and Butz opened the large case, inside was a huge assortment of Canned Salmon, Caviar, smoked oysters etc, young Johnathons mouth fell open and when Butz hinted good food was a must on camp and it only cost us $150 each I thought his eyes were going to pop out as well. Priceless isnt really good enough. the serious food was underneath.

IP Logged

cooch
Forum Senior

Reply #12 - Aug 23rd, 2008 at 9:17am
Print Post  
My father told a story of when he was fencing, they sent a new chum down to the local store to buy some post holes.

The older I get-- -  the better I was.

IP Logged

Scuba fella - Scooby
Forum Font

Are we there yet?

Reply #13 - Aug 23rd, 2008 at 9:26am
Print Post  
one of the office ladies wanted to borrow a screwdriver.
we asked her was it for a left hand or right hand screw.
she went to look, then came back to ask how you can tell.

IP Logged

browning 708

Reply #14 - Aug 24th, 2008 at 6:03am
Print Post  
sky hook      and a long wait Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards