Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 68 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Lets see your Long range rifle pics! (Read 314021 times)
misty
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Lets see your Long range rifle pics!
Reply #30 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 10:46am
Print Post  
Hi CLAW, that new rifle sounds like it will be very similar to mine. Id like to have a go with it when its finished just to see what it shoots like and see what the recoil is like...
A heads up might be to go and get a picatinny type rail for it and mount that nightforce scope in some nightforce rings as I have done. I initally didnt sdo that and insted brought some optilock rings with bases but they are nowhere near as good and + you might want an extra 20moa of adjustment that you can get from the rail.
Best of luck with it.... and very important to remember that Tony is very good but good things take time!

IP Logged

the claw
Forum Font

Reply #31 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 11:16am
Print Post  
Quote:
Hi CLAW, that new rifle sounds like it will be very similar to mine. Id like to have a go with it when its finished just to see what it shoots like and see what the recoil is like...
A heads up might be to go and get a picatinny type rail for it and mount that nightforce scope in some nightforce rings as I have done. I initally didnt sdo that and insted brought some optilock rings with bases but they are nowhere near as good and + you might want an extra 20moa of adjustment that you can get from the rail.
Best of luck with it.... and very important to remember that Tony is very good but good things take time!

hmmm, I have ordered Optilocks and bases... Might see if that can be changed. No worries re having a shot. I am down Gore way, but would be keen for a Tahr (or similar) trip at some stage once I have the rifle figured out (and my fitness...). I'm sure we could arrange something so you could get a shot. With the supressor, recoil should be pretty light.

IP Logged

misty
Donor Member

Reply #32 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
Yeah definitly when its finished if you want to go Tahr hunting something can be arranged no problem. Yeah I just thought id mention it as those optilock rings and bases arnt the best when you put a heavy scope in them.. With mine the rings came loose from the base twice and in the end i resorted to superglue... ended up a waste of $270 or so. The nightforce rings - whilst expensive - are really strong and very light. It can just be hard to get the rail although im pretty sure theres a couple of places in the USA that make them now... at the time they only made them for short actions.
Rod Woods in Loburn - North Canterbury machined mine from a blank of that really strong aircraft grade alloy so he could be good to ask.... by all accounts his finished job looked a bit rough but it seems to be very true!

Quote:
Quote:

hmmm, I have ordered Optilocks and bases... Might see if that can be changed. No worries re having a shot. I am down Gore way, but would be keen for a Tahr (or similar) trip at some stage once I have the rifle figured out (and my fitness...). I'm sure we could arrange something so you could get a shot. With the supressor, recoil should be pretty light.

IP Logged

timmay556
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Quote:
How's that CZ working out for you? Cool

Awesome rifle for the money I reckon. Very accurate, last trip out took about 10 rabbits in a row from 10 shots between 250m and 330m, using handloads with 40gr vmax's. Nice compact action and awesome trigger, either set or unset (especially since I readjusted it recently). Not too heavy and stock is very stiff (not having the problems the guys are having with the walnut stocks). Supressor is a great addition, three of the rabbits above were sitting in a group at 255m, and each remaining rabbit sat there wondering what had happened to its mate(s) until it met the same fate... Grin

I SO want a .204!!

IP Logged

Carlsen Highway
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Thought Id join the party, heres my one -

IP Logged

leathel
Forum Font

Hunting / Fishing, Its
all good!!

Reply #35 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
Cool Grin Grin

IP Logged

Andrew-GBB
Ex Member

Reply #36 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 6:56pm
Print Post  

Just needs a bit of that wood cleaned up, a few holes cut it the tip of the barrel for a muzzle brake and a scope welded on top is all

IP Logged

7MM RUM
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Thought Id join the party, heres my one -

Looks like a good way to blow yer self up Roll Eyes Grin

IP Logged

Carlsen Highway
Ex Member

Reply #38 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
no, she shoots very well indeed. BIt of a wait from firing till it hits the 100 target...but then it woudl, the projectile weighs about 4 lbs and will go through a Holden engine block. ( Or 17 Zulu's standing back to back.)

IP Logged

Philipo
Forum Font

Still waiting for my Section-Eight

Reply #39 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
Quote:
no, she shoots very well indeed. BIt of a wait from firing till it hits the 100 target...but then it woudl, the projectile weighs about 4 lbs and will go through a Holden engine block. ( Or 17 Zulu's standing back to back.)

That cannon of your's Carlsen, Sounds like it's the Harley Davidson of rifles
Takes forever to get up to speed & then ya can't stop it  Grin Grin

Shoot it, root it & BBQ it !!!

IP Logged

Spanners
Ex Member

Reply #40 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
Philipo wrote on Jul 16th, 2008 at 6:35pm:
That cannon of your's Carlsen, Sounds like it's the Harley Davidson of rifles
Takes forever to get up to speed & then ya can't stop it  Grin Grin

Yeah.. shakes like shit, makes alot of noise, not fast, often breaks down, out performed by Jap made stuff... owned by those going through 'male menopause'....

Cool Cool Cool Cool

IP Logged

Bryan
Forum Senior

Whitetail buck, Canada

Reply #41 - Jul 17th, 2008 at 10:22am
Print Post  
Love the gun Carlson Highway! you guys seen this fellas long range shooting boom stick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4WpYj3CATg

seems like the perfect thar hunting rifle!!  Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

whereami
Donor Member

Today, you people are
no longer maggots.

Reply #42 - Jul 17th, 2008 at 10:37am
Print Post  
we will never hear the end of it NOW. Cry

IP Logged

Andrew-GBB
Ex Member

Reply #43 - Jul 17th, 2008 at 10:48am
Print Post  
whereami wrote on Jul 17th, 2008 at 10:37am:
we will never hear the end of it NOW. Cry

Bloody weirdo's on youtube jesus, all arguing that 1000 yards is the longest shot attempted by open sights.
I don't know where they get that from............ .303 Longtom Was used at 1000yds for target shooting, .308 is still used at 1000yrds for target with open sights.
Ahh the mystery of people believing they are experts because they posses a phone line and a computer.

IP Logged

whereami
Donor Member

Today, you people are
no longer maggots.

Reply #44 - Jul 17th, 2008 at 10:49am
Print Post  
Grin Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 68
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards