Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Rex Forrester and Joe Keeley (Read 39568 times)
Gazcan

Yeah, nah....

Re: Rex Forrester and Joe Keeley
Reply #15 - Jul 18th, 2008 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Really good pilot from what I've heard and read of him over the years.

Shame he couldn't quite master flying at night whilst pissed, tho, eh?

The only problem with being perfect is that everyone else's imperfections really piss me off....

IP Logged

Sako2
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Jul 23rd, 2008 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
He wasn't hunting at the time of his death however he may be the only pilot in N.Z. who could fly a D model at night holding a spotlight AND shoot the deer with the Colt. My mate was in the machine when he did this and was petrified. Anyone who knew him would say he was a brilliant pilot.

IP Logged

Daggs
Forum Font

The good life

Reply #17 - Jul 23rd, 2008 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
I met joes brother recently while working in the same block as him, bloody top bloke told me a yarn about going heli hunting with his bro. Droped him off in swamp for most of the hunt [good ol brothers eh]

IP Logged

Chamois Buck
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jul 23rd, 2008 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
Theres some farkin funny yarns about Dave Saxton..... if you forget about the greenstone thing he is a legend!!

IP Logged

BUTZ THE HILL BILLY
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Dec 20th, 2009 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
Rex once told me  , the yanks thought they could fly coz they were in Veitnam , one of his lttle verses whent like this

they came to NZ to teach us to fly ,
          but left when they realised we were mad,
             we flew like we all wished to die
         we did things in choppers that couldn't be done,
                   and we did it coz it was fun

IP Logged

Angus

Reply #20 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
I got one of Rex's books out from the school library. A year later i haven't returned it.. certainly taught me a lot!

IP Logged

Sikahill
Forum Senior

Life is a journey,not
a destination-Enjoy the
ride

Reply #21 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
just read the Dick Deaker Story - Aerial Hunter. Was quite a good read. These guys including the great Joe Keeley are my idols.

If I could do anything in my life it would be to be immersed in the era of the deer wars, shooting out of choppers and flying them all over the place. Now thats what I call living life to the fullest

IP Logged

Bon
Donor Member

Reply #22 - Mar 26th, 2010 at 7:43am
Print Post  
Once the romance wore off, say after an hour or so, you would find that it wasn't so glamorous as you might think. Smiley
And there were some bloody good American pilots as well,just as there were good and not so good Kiwi ones.

IP Logged

Alan
Administrator
Donor Member
Staff

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #23 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
Sikahill ..you would not see old age out!  Was dam hard work. Try gutting large numbers of animals in a few hours. The fun part was flying and shooting but the hard work still had to be done afterwards..

Co-leader NZ Outdoors Party http://www.outdoorsparty.co.nz
Book. Born to The Outdoors http://www.alan-simmons.com/book
IP Logged

7mil08
Forum Font

Don't Go Pig Hunting In
Deer Country

Reply #24 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
Sikahill wrote on Mar 25th, 2010 at 11:03pm:
just read the Dick Deaker Story - Aerial Hunter. Was quite a good read. These guys including the great Joe Keeley are my idols.

If I could do anything in my life it would be to be immersed in the era of the deer wars, shooting out of choppers and flying them all over the place. Now thats what I call living life to the fullest

I was born a few years to late. I would have been in to that like a pig in to shit.

IP Logged

N w Ruahine

Reply #25 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 2:44pm
Print Post  

A romantic. Guess there is still a place for them in today's hurried world. Grin

IP Logged

smokie
Just Joined

Reply #26 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 10:09pm
Print Post  

As BON and ALAN said it was bloody hard work,you looked forward to days off,(rough weather,machine on check,etc) it was extra hard when live capture started and before netguns cime in, bull doging,especially if you were a smaller person, and knowing that each time you when out you mite not be coming back.

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

Reply #27 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
flying back from the waihaha to taupo with joe one day n halfway over the lake the empty warning light started to scream
his shooter went all white but it didnt faze joe one bit

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #28 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 8:17am
Print Post  

Ring Bill Roydhouse 06 8742895 and he will give you some insight into Joe as his shooter [the unromantic version] Wink

IP Logged

Sikahill
Forum Senior

Life is a journey,not
a destination-Enjoy the
ride

Reply #29 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
I bought a pig off Bill a couple of years back. He lives 15 mins up the road from me. We had a great old yarn. Didnt realise he knew Joe. Will mention it next time I see him.  Cheers.
Quote:
A romantic. Guess there is still a place for them in today's hurried world. 

BTW I cetainly dont dispute it was nothing but hard work.  A romantic hunter sounds a bit dodgy to me. A dreamer ...maybe.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards