Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Fish 'n' Hunt Targets (Read 10848 times)
Gerry Atric
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Fish 'n' Hunt Targets
Reply #30 - Jul 13th, 2008 at 5:51am
Print Post  
Hello from Sweden
Find myself often using the download page from Sniper World with an excellent target, square-test, easy-to-understand  Roll Eyes explanations and so on.

http://www.sniperworld.com/downloads.html

Gerry Atric

IP Logged

Chris B
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Standard FishnHunt Target - anyone interested???
Reply #31 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
Credit goes to Monsterbishi for what I thought was a cracking idea, from another thread I started recently.

Wondered about creating one (or more) standard targets (with the FishnHunt logo on of course) that forum members can download and use. It would be good for us to have a standard target to use and upload scans/photos of to compare.

I am quite capable with a scanner and photoshop and would be happy to draw some up.

I was thinking at first of a 100m one for centrefire and a 50m one for rimfire. Actually we could just increase the size of the 50m one I guess.

Do you reckon that would be a good thing to have?

Also we could put some lines underneath for notes, maybe something like
- Shots Fired
- Shots on Target
- Ammunition
- Distance
- Date
- Shooter
- Witness (maybe, for competitions?)
etc

Here are some quick scans I did of some targets I have lying around for a bit of inspiration. I just use target shooting to practice for hunting, maybe needs are different for competition.

Personally I like a dark centre few rings. I find the horizontal/vertical lines help hold the gun steady, but I guess that's 'cheating' as not many animals have handy lines painted all over them.

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)

IP Logged

leathel
Forum Font

Hunting / Fishing, Its
all good!!

Re: Standard FishnHunt Target - anyone interested?
Reply #32 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 7:44am
Print Post  
I like the targets that have inch squares over the page as it makes it reel easy to adjust the scope and see group size Wink

IP Logged

Monsterbishi
Forum Font

Christchurch, NZ<br />

Reply #33 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 9:32am
Print Post  
If the 100m one could incorporate some of the 50m sized rings in the center of it, there would be a comparable standard?

Having scale blocks on them, even a small 2" 'L' shape in one of the corners allows for the person printing it to know it's the right size too.

<div style=

MADNESS
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 9:40am
Print Post  
i much prefer squares over circles as i find you get a more definite aim point using the corner of the square  

i like the style of these targets

Despite the rising cost of living it still remains popular

IP Logged

iceman
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
Im with the squares too, I like to align the cross hairs onto a cnr, I have 1" black squares towards each corner for rimfire and a 3" black square in the centre with a 1" white square in the centre of that, seems to give my old eyes a better aiming point and plenty of targets on the one paper.

IP Logged

MeatHunta
Donor Member

Reply #36 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
CBFB, good idea. If you do one then put an area on it for handloaders to record their load data. You seem to be heading down the target shooting line - I suspect most of us go to the range to get set up for hunting, so we might need something a little different.

Here's the one I like. Its easy to line up on at 100 yards. The lines are one inch apart and the centres of the circles are 3" apart. For a large game rifle I'm happy if the shots go in the middle or bottom of the green circle at 100 yards. You can see the holes in the green easily through the scope.

You can download it and others at www.mytargets.com
There a quite a few sites on the web with downloadable targets on them.

IP Logged

Chris B
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #37 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

It sounds like, as MeatHunta pointed out, there's different requirements for paper-punching and for sighting in. Personally I like a square grid like the ones posted for sighting in and a round, traditional target for practicing on.

I'll get a couple of each type drafted up, it's raining heavy up here so I won't be doing a lot else today.

I like your idea about keeping the inner circles the same size on the 50 & 100m ones Monsterbishi. Will do.

As for printing the same size, I'll do them as A4 PDFs which should be the same no matter what equipment you print them on.

The things I thought of putting on there were as follows - Meathunta can you tell me what handloaders would want to make a note of, I don't know much about it? Cheers.

- Shots Fired
- Shots on Target
- Ammunition
- Distance
- Date
- Shooter
- Witness (maybe, for competitions?)

IP Logged

MeatHunta
Donor Member

Reply #38 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
Case
Primer
Powder Type
Grains of powder
Projectile
Velocity
Range
Temperature
Wind
Group size

IP Logged

Andrew-GBB
Ex Member

Reply #39 - Mar 7th, 2008 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
Unless I've just missed it when reading you should probably have which rifle was used.......... scope maybe?
What would be important for me would be (with factory ammo) handloader will need more:
Shooter
Rifle
Calibre
Ammunition
Distance
Shots fired
Group size

I normally use:

I use some of the other targets for .22 plinking with more bulleyes on them and some of the 1/2" dot ones

IP Logged

brucec
Ex Member

Reply #40 - Mar 10th, 2008 at 11:30am
Print Post  

IP Logged

Chris B
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #41 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
cheers bruce, some good ideas on there.

to avoid copyright issues I was gonna draw up a few for the fishnhunt forum anyway but this site has given me some ideas.

this came about because i have several targets with features i like but none that are perfect for me so i thought i would get the magic markers out and make some of my own. should be coming shortly Smiley

IP Logged

Chris B
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Uploading Target Files
Reply #42 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
Hi,

Had a bit of discussion about designing some targets for the fishnhunt forum a while back.

Got a few test ones done and tried them out on the range below (see photo below).

The one shown in the photo is ready for people to use now, but I can't figure out how to make it available for download.

Let me know what you think to this one and the spaces for you to write in your info. Is there anything I've missed?

Is there somewhere on the forum where we can upload files (it's a PDF) for people to download? I can't just do an image (eg JPG) cause they can be printed out all number of ways (so the dimensions will be all to pot). With a PDF they generally come out the same size on A4.

If not, is there something like photobucket where I can download them?

Cheers
Chris

« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2010 at 3:09pm by Chris B »  

IP Logged

Andrew-GBB
Ex Member

Re: Uploading Target Files
Reply #43 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
Save them as a .pdf file and get munster to host them on his file-sharing watchamajig

IP Logged

vld
Ex Member

Re: Fish 'n' Hunt Targets
Reply #44 - Sep 16th, 2012 at 4:22pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards