Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) STEWART ISLAND whose been there (Read 88504 times)
12pointer
Forum Font

You haven't shot many,
if you havent missed
a few.

STEWART ISLAND whose been there
Jan 12th, 2008 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
I thought I would start a STEWART ISLAND thread, for the purpose of hopefully shareing information between those planning a trip to a new block, or those planing their first Stewart Island adventure.
I've posted replies to other members articles, and posted photos in the various forums, and as a consequence I have recieved P.M.'s from quite a few guys wanting info., or tips about the various blocks I have been to. They want to know things like; what gear to take, what sort of fish are caught, what Charter operator we used etc. and heaps of different info.
So I thought it would be a good idea to have a separate thread devoted to this so members could contact those who have been before to share info and help each other out, (it may have been done before ... but in any case this is a "fresh" one).
It would be good if members could respond with info like;
- Where they went i.e. which block.
- When they went, month and year etc..
- What they thought of the block etc.
- How well they did, i.e. deer sighted and shot between all members of their team.
- What the fishing and diving was like.
- Any tips or suggestion for those planning on going there.
- Maybe just post a few pics of their trip.

Go for it dudes  Wink Smiley

IP Logged

12pointer
Forum Font

You haven't shot many,
if you havent missed
a few.

Re: STEWART ISLAND whose been there
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2008 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
I've been to;
- Bungaree. It was a good block, BUT, too many trampers to share with at times, and you had to have someone at the camp all the time or your food would "walk", or your knife and fork etc., because some tramper forgot to bring their own. Fishing was good even off the rocks for cod. And there were plenty of deer there, but that was a long time ago. We shot 2 deer and this was my first trip to the Island. I wouldn't go there again myself due to the amount of trampers passing  thru ,or staying, (we even had 30 high school boys, and teachers camped there in tents one night in November 1985, when we were there .... the boys were letting off fireworks and crackers all over the place .... little buggers.
BIG BUNGAREE HUT

- Freds Camp, I was there in May 95. Good got it's own jetty but you need a boat or you are always walking past one of your mates areas to get to the area you want to hunt as there is a cut track along that passes the hut. We caught salmon off the jetty. The hut has platform bunks sleep about 12 side by side (I think). We spotlighted and speared heaps of flouder on the nearby mudflats. We shot 3 deer, and seen or put up another dozen or so.
FREDS CAMP taken from jetty.

-Kellys Block in Port Adventure. Been there twice, last time was November 2003, it's a good block, good 6 man hut, plenty of deer sign then, we shot 2 and seen quite a few more. Fishing and diving good plenty of "Bluff" oysters, and Paua. We caught moki, trumpeter, blue cod, greenbone (butterfish), stargazer (monkfish), seen flouder, heaps of cockles over by Bosom up the Heron.
KELLYS HUT

-North Tikotatahi. A good well known hunting block.The, hut sits out on a little penninsula and cops a bit of wind and sand gets into things a bit. But plenty of scope for hunting.
NORTH TIKOTATAHI HUT

Pegasus North and South. We were there in November 2006 and it was our first trip to Pegasus. These are BIG blocks and it takes a lot to learn the area, you'd have a big head start advantage if you went down there again. Some of the bays and coves over by Belltopper Falls were well worth a look for deer. Deer numbers weren't high and you'd stalk quite big distances between patches of hot sign. Wicked scenery and real good fishing and diving (in my opinion you don't need scuba as you get all the fish and shellfish you want in snorkelling depth)
Some of the "open" tops are covered in some shitty monkey scrub though.
South Pegasus hut lacks a bit of view being up on a little terrace above the beach and surrounded by trees. It can get a bit muddy on the track up to the hut and around camp if there is too much rain.
NORTH PEGASUS HUT

SOUTH PEGASUS HUT

-Bosom Block in Port Adventure Lots of little bays with sandy beaches, good hut and area to pitch a tent if needed, sheltered, good fishing and diving, always somwhere calm to hunt no matter which wind direction. At the Bosom block a couple of boats/dingys are a must.
BOSOM HUT

IP Logged

Backpack
Forum Senior

If I wasn't hard out working
I'd be hunting

Reply #2 - Jan 12th, 2008 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
NORTH LORDS
Possible new hut. Good to have at lest two dingies, one for fishing and one for dropping hunters off along the river. Lords river is very very tidal, so beware where you tire up the dinge.
Good numbers of deer, and large area you can cover.First block on Stewart Island I hunted,in June 1997, 8 guys, 10 days, nine shot and about 34 seen. Took me 36 hours of hunting to get one. If you are good, you get a 50/50 split, sitting on broadleaf to stalking. Beautiful river, great all round area.Bookings for Maori blocks 032128075 , Charter boat Bob Hawkeless 032127254, Over night accommodation and car lockup, Bluff Backpackers 032127106.
SOUTH LORDS
Definitely has new hut, basically as above. These areas average the most hunters of all the blocks, but they also average the most animals seen and shot. Probably because of the feed along the river. We were at South Lords in Feb/ March 1999 , March 2001, March 2004, on each trip we saw between 30- 40, and shot 9-14.
As we are on these blocks 8 to 10 days,we don't skin the deer, just gut and clean out, put a stick in between the ribs to spread, hang up, wrap a mozzie net around the group and on the last morning before the bout arrives, form a cutting gang, and put all the meat into the chilly bins we bought the food in.(one bin per person), get ice at Bluff, and we have no problems.

IP Logged

12pointer
Forum Font

You haven't shot many,
if you havent missed
a few.

Reply #3 - Jan 12th, 2008 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
Good info on the Lords Backpack Smiley Here's a couple of pics of the Lords looking out either side of the Cessna (scanned off my prints not digital sorry)

IP Logged

gmpauly
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #4 - Jan 15th, 2008 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
Have also been to N. Lords. There is a new hut there. Upper Lords has a very basic bivvy. Only thing I'd add to backpack's post is that if your flying down from the N. Island the cheapest way we found to get large amounts of gear down there is to crate it up and send it on the train to Invercargill.
Hill to the east of N. Lords hut looking across to S. Lords hut;

Looking back up Lords river;

As far up the river as you can get;

Lords river;

Deer;

IP Logged

Oscar
Donor Member

Let Us Prey

Reply #5 - Jan 15th, 2008 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
Rakiura Hunter Camp Trust.

Details of the various hunters huts, including some Google Earth links.

Herbs before herbivores

Not all those who wander are lost

IP Logged

Oscar
Donor Member

Let Us Prey

Reply #6 - Jan 15th, 2008 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
Stewart Island (Rakiura) hunting information

General info on DOC website:

Deer
Permits and hunting blocks
Transport providers to access hunting blocks
Getting to Halfmoon Bay
Huts and hut tickets
Hunt responsibly
Personal safety
Map

Herbs before herbivores

Not all those who wander are lost

IP Logged

tramper
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Jan 15th, 2008 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
I'm keen to walk the North West Circuit soon. Now as this track passes through a lot of the hunting blocks does this mean that I can't take my rifle if hunters have booked those blocks.
Thanks

"The proper function of man is to live, not to exist.  I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them.  I shall use my time." -Jack London

IP Logged

MADNESS
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jan 15th, 2008 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
I've hunted

little Kuri
South Tikotatahi
North lords
South lords
Upper lords
big Kuri

if anyone wants any info pm me

Despite the rising cost of living it still remains popular

IP Logged

Traps

Reply #9 - Jan 15th, 2008 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
Tramper, the Nw circuit is great but tourists got to know you can see kiwi so its chocker, the track is 6' wide and has waist deep mud in places, shooter be a major hassle for ya.

IP Logged

Traps

Reply #10 - Jan 15th, 2008 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
We had the doughboy block for a couple of weeks in 04 and again in 05, its easy and cheap to fly into a lot of those hard sand bays in the fixed wing, the hut is shared with trampers and even though the track to it would probably have the best mud holes on the whole island and it is on the lesser used SW circuit there were parties in it most nights.  There are great camp sites however and some excellent bush and beach hunting although the sand salt and wind are tough on the gear, you want to be on your game navigation wise round there, there is miles of humps and hollows in the back there.

IP Logged

outdoorlad
Forum Font

Reply #11 - Jan 16th, 2008 at 12:03am
Print Post  
Have hunted Martins creek & Cavaler blocks in Mason's bay, fly in and land on the beach at low tide.
Good numbers of animals, hunt the sand dunes & bush. On one trip we shot 4 the first afternoon between 3 of us. Used to be able to walk down the south end of the beach & get paua at low tide. Basic hut at martins and bivvy at Cavaler, may have changed now?

The Homestead block is also good.

IP Logged

StagsRoar
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Tikka T3  .270

Reply #12 - Jan 17th, 2008 at 10:27am
Print Post  
Been down to Cavalier Creek a couple of times .

Was the easiest and still is the easiest way to get there.

Overlooking Cavalier Creek down towards Kilbride.

Was the Hut when I was there but Southland NZDA have revamped the hut to a much more comfortable living quarters. No need to take a tent nowadays.

it was said the the majority of animals are within about 1 km from the coast - and that may be right for the most part but don't b fearful of going inland more as the animals are there also and I think have had lesser hunting pressure that the coastal strip. Tough crappy bush right on the coast with a lot of flax etc but further in is not bad and it isn't hard to find sand dunes which will take you back in a bit.

Big Bungaree

The only way to get there shy of a good walk is on a floaty thing - expensive, you need more people but can haul a heap more gear.

There is a hut there that is quite adequate but we carted a lot of gear and set up our own camp adjoining the hut to stop any whinging Hikers from moaning about how Hunters were over-running the place.

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM58H

Whitetail Deer I found are a totally different kettle of fish to hunting Reds. You have to move a lot slower and spend a lot more time just looking.  What i used to do was bash around for the first day or to and when you spook one then go back the next night/morning about 2 hours earlier and then start a very slow observant stalk in that area - they are very much creatures of habit!

IP Logged

TimboB
Forum Font

A few feathers short of
a whole duck...

Reply #13 - Jan 17th, 2008 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
Hi Folks,

Haven't been on here in a while - too much to do, too little time and all that...

Have been to Kelly's block twice, and absolutely loved it! Hut is good, with room to pitch a tent if more that 6 in the party. We took a boat across, and a dinghy is a must again, for getting up and down the coast, and fishing/diving!

Last trip I saw 6 of the blighters, but they saw me first, so were on the run by the time I saw them! Am still to shoot my first! However, the rest of the guys in our party shot 12 all up, with about the same again being seen and not shot...

I'm gonna fear God, love my neighbour, and hunt ducks.

IP Logged

kiwihunter
Just Joined

Hunter Gatherer

Reply #14 - Jan 17th, 2008 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
Ive only been there once, to Doughboy Bay, but had some quite unique experiences down there. Check out my website for the story.

IP Logged

lost legend

I love all animals, they
taste great!

Reply #15 - Jan 18th, 2008 at 2:19pm
Print Post  

hello to all, I've just returned form a 8 day trip to the Upper Lords River block managed by DOC.  There were a total of 5 people in my hunting party.  It cost us roughly $650 each for the trip (a break down of this below) from bluff return.

charter cost was $2200
12ft Stabi dinghy hire $160
25hp outboard hire $240
mountain radio hire $50
outboard fuel 80L 50:1 $150
food $500

We used Mana Charters operated by Bob Hawkless ( www.manacharters.com ), he was great organising the mountain radio, stabi and the outboard motor.  It was the second time i have travelled to Stewart Island with Bob and he must have talked nicely to the weather gods as the ocean was nice and flat for our trip.  The trip takes approx 3 1/2 hours from Bluff.

Although we were unable to bring any of the meat back form the animals we shot ( it all went off due to the heat ) we all had a great time.  I personaly shot 3 deer two Hinds and one 6 point stag in hard velvet, the head wasn't the best but seeing as it was my first white tail stag i was more than happy.  Two other members of the party also shot a Hind each and between the five of us we saw 27 deer. 
This year we got lucky with the weather and only had a couple of rain showers that passed in an hour or two.  Two years earlier we were in the same block and it pretty much rained from the day we got there to the day we left.

Upper Lords River Block Information

There is no hut on this block but there are plans to put one on there hopefully by the end of this year although i've been hearing this for the last few years.

There is a basic bivvy on the block at the following GPS ref E2133805 N5336698, this is also the most likely spot for a hut when they get around to putting one there.

Most of the deer that were seen or shot were between 30 and 45 meters above sea level

The campsite and bivvy are approx 8km up the river from the South Lords Hut.

You can only get up the river 2 hours either side of high tide.

For those people that like to fish on hunting trips you need to head all the way back down the river to the river mouth to catch fish.  There is plenty of big Blue Cod and Trumpeter to be caght out there.

The river water can be very brackish and i reccomend taking in some drinking water with you (the water from the river is drinkable it just doesn't taste to good).  I took 50L for the five of us and that lasted the 8 days we were there.

A GPS unit is a godsend in this block, we had a mix of new and old units with us.  The new units worked really well and i found the older units had trouble picking up a signal under the bush canopy.

The bush is mostly open with crown fern under foot but there is the odd stand of kanuka that has nice green grass under it.

As it rains alot down there a good fly to set up over your tent is a good idea.

i thinks thats all i can think of right now if i think of anything else i'll let you know.  If i knew how to post a photo or two i'd add some.

i hope this may help some one

IP Logged

12pointer
Forum Font

You haven't shot many,
if you havent missed
a few.

Reply #16 - Jan 18th, 2008 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
Here are some photos from lost legend of his recent trip to the UPPER LORDS RIVER BLOCK (he e-mailed them to me to post because he hasn't got the hang of the photobucket/resizing thing yet)

The clearing, this is typical of the few clearings I came across on the south west sector of the block

Bogan and his 1st. deer, this is a pic of me with my first deer I shot on this trip (my fourth whitetail shot on Stewart Island)

Loading the Mana at South Lords prior to leaving the the Island, and heading back to work. No one wanted to leave  Cry

Bogan and Leo going up the river on the way in, at high tide.

The bivey at Upper Lords, 5 star accomadation, it doesn't look much, but has a great fire for those cold nights.

Inside the Bivey, our set up.

The Kiwi, just one of the many that we spotted on our trip. I'm sure we spotted more kiwi during the daytime than we spotted deer.

As said above, all these pics, and the text belongs to lost legend in relation to his posting immediatley above this one about the UPPER LORDS BLOCK.

IP Logged

MADNESS
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jan 18th, 2008 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
when i hunted that block the deer had been living in that bivvy sleeping under the table  Grin

Despite the rising cost of living it still remains popular

IP Logged

wilderness
Forum Senior

TAKE NOTHING FOR GRANTED

Reply #18 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
at the moment im thinking of heading to the southern lords block or the mason bay area? anyone got any

advice on this?

IP Logged

lost legend

I love all animals, they
taste great!

Reply #19 - Jan 26th, 2008 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
Here are a few of my thoughts if you are thinking of heading into the south lords block.

GPS GPS GPS on this block I would definitely hunt with one even if it was just in my pack turned off, the bush gets very thick around the camp and it would help get you home.

The hut has 6 bunks and even on a cold night is incredibly hot inside.  If you do get cold it has a pot belly stove so take some fire wood cut nice and small.

There is no running water or a sink in the hut, there are located outside.

There is a meat safe but it will only hold two full animals if you were lucky.

Most of the good hunting is up the river I would suggest 1 dinghy between two people.

Booking the upper lords block at the same time would be a good idea as there are plenty of deer around the camp site on the upper lords block and you don't risk running into a lost hunter.

The sea can get very rough very quickly and fishing is not always an option, take plenty of food with you it is only a 20 metre walk to the hut from the beach at low tide.

I am only aware of two charter boat operators that can drop people off on the RMLT blocks, Herbie Hansen on the Southern Isle, or Bob Hawkless on Mana.  The trip will cost about $2200 return.

A mountain radio is an important tool down there although you can get radio reception in the hut.

Storage in the hut is minimal so good sealing plastic containers that can be kept out side would be a good idea.

I hope this helps you, I’ve got no idea about the Mason Bay area as I’ve only ever hunted the east coast blocks.

IP Logged

12pointer
Forum Font

You haven't shot many,
if you havent missed
a few.

Reply #20 - Jan 26th, 2008 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
blackbunny wrote on Jan 26th, 2008 at 4:39pm:
Quote:
I am only aware of two charter boat operators that can drop people off on the RMLT blocks, Herbie Hansen on the Southern Isle, or Bob Hawkless on Mana.  The trip will cost about $2200 return.

Is this a typo?

No this is correct i.e. any charter operator can service the D.O.C. blocks, but only approved operators with a concession can service the Maori Lands Trust Blocks.

IP Logged

lost legend

I love all animals, they
taste great!

Reply #21 - Jan 26th, 2008 at 11:51pm
Print Post  
yeah thats for the boat. The price stays the same if you take 4 or 12 people.  In my experience 6-8 people is the best number to aim for.  If you go on Mana with Bob you get bacon and egg pie on the trip to and from the block mmmmmm pie.

IP Logged

lost legend

I love all animals, they
taste great!

Reply #22 - Feb 3rd, 2008 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
here are a couple of phot's from my trip in Jan, i hope i've done this right

Dean and Leo taking break

The long drop that we relocated and fixed up

Leo and his first White Tail Deer

Looking down the river from below camp

Back steaks for dinner

Dad holding my 6 point stag.  It was shot at the top end of the Toi Toi Flats on the edge of our block

I will try to upload all my photo's to Photo Bucket and then i will post the link so you can all have a look

hope you enjoy.

IP Logged

wilderness
Forum Senior

TAKE NOTHING FOR GRANTED

Reply #23 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
so you reakon upper loards is better than the lower lords? am i able to book both? thanks allot for this info mate!!! it bloody awsome Wink

IP Logged

lost legend

I love all animals, they
taste great!

Reply #24 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
Yeah upper lords would be the block of choice for me, but i only really hunt DOC blocks as i don't like the idea of paying to walk around in native bush.  If the DOC block is available there is no reason why you can't book it, i've had two blocks next to each other at the same time before.

There are plenty of deer up there, my suggestion would be to hunt in behind the bivvy in the creek as there are alot of nice little grass clearings just off the creek with heaps of sign. Well there was in Jan this year.  

Take lots of photo's and put up a story when you get back as i'd like to see how you get on when you are down there.

IP Logged

wilderness
Forum Senior

TAKE NOTHING FOR GRANTED

Reply #25 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
LL thanx allot mate!! thats where ill head, if i can ill book the south lords at the same time so i have a hut and a bit of fishing access. if not upper lords is all good,

cheers mate, should i ever bump into ya ill buy you a beer!

IP Logged

Bruce
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Feb 10th, 2008 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
Just wanted any advise on what is the best/easiest place to hunt in Stewart Island.
We are keen on the hunting and fishing if not overly sucessful. Smiley

IP Logged

wilderness
Forum Senior

TAKE NOTHING FOR GRANTED

Reply #27 - Feb 10th, 2008 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
pm 12 pointer, he'll set ya strait Cool

IP Logged

blackeyed1
Forum Font

Nothing But Head

Reply #28 - Feb 25th, 2008 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
Backpack just reminded me of something that I feel should be mentioned.

Stewart Island is a special place,as are most places in NZ.Treat it with respect

How about thinking of the next users next time your down there and about to slash a track,hang tape , dazzle trees,put slash marks in trees so you can find your way back to camp . Learn how to use a compass,take note of your surrounds or get a GPS

One other thing,there is no need to cut down huge piles of broad leaf Angry the bigger the pile does not relate to bigger or more deer

Look around for fresh sign,these deer are creatures of habit they will come back,be patient Wink

Sorry though this needed to be included,rant over  Embarrassed

Long Range Hunter, Close Range Shooter

IP Logged

larrakin
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Feb 25th, 2008 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
HI,
I am Heading to south west arm in a couple of weeks . Has anyone been there?.
Any tips for hunting this block or whitetail in
general,have not had the pleasure of hunting whitetail yet
but that is about to change,
Would be grateful of any advice

IP Logged

lost legend

I love all animals, they
taste great!

Reply #30 - Mar 9th, 2008 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
i hunted south west arm back in feb 2002 before the hut was put on the block.  there were 8 hunters in our party and we only managed to see 5 deer between us and only one was shot.  the block is long and a little steep if i remember rightly.  i think the block is like any other on the island you get out of it what you put into it.  one thing i will say is we had really bad luck with our fishing all we could catch were little sharks.  i hope you have better luck in the block than we did.

IP Logged

Viking
Forum Font

Life is for living--not
for worrying

Reply #31 - May 5th, 2008 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
outdoorlad wrote on Jan 16th, 2008 at 12:03am:
Have hunted Martins creek & Cavaler blocks in Mason's bay, fly in and land on the beach at low tide.
Good numbers of animals, hunt the sand dunes & bush. On one trip we shot 4 the first afternoon between 3 of us. Used to be able to walk down the south end of the beach & get paua at low tide. Basic hut at martins and bivvy at Cavaler, may have changed now?

The Homestead block is also good.

Hunted Murray river block in the north a few years ago, -magic place, yds of deer then, had about 5 in the first 2 days incl a magic head, resorted to "armed tramping" after that, flounder in the estuary,fish off the rocky point, all the Paua, mussels, oysters,scallops, crayfish and fish you could eat, camped inside the flax at end of beautiful beach, sandflies unbelieveable, and sooples like hair on a dogs back!! Good hunting on the headlands, yds of crownfern, on tramping track but they didn't bother us. Mid way between Bungaree and Christmas village, Open to the NW so a boat not much use, mainly biggish Rimu bush but a lot of it has been cut over, remains of old sawmill and wooden railway tracks along beachfront, Would go back there tomorrow!

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #32 - Feb 2nd, 2009 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
this is an excelant thread 12pointer, well done mate!! Smiley just thought i would put this up as most guys seem to go by boat, as i did on my first trip there. im not really into big groups on hunting trips so ours are three person trips(2 hunters and one diver/fisherman/camp bitch). as i live in the upper north island(whangerei) its quite a logistcle mission to get every thing there and as we want to maximise our hunting time, we have found that choppers are better for us. rakiura maori land trust are fine with chopper access as long as you go with aproved operators. we send all our gear down in fishbins with lids, duck taped closed, a few weeks prior to our trip, then courier our riffles down in hard cases a few days prior. we fly down and land at invercargill, the chopper company will buy all our food, beers etc of an e mailed list and also organise an inflatable boat, out board, fuel, gas bottle and mountain radio. they pick us up from the airport and we go straight to there hanger, get changed and throw our packs in the chopper which they have allready loaded the rest of our gear into, we are in the air within an hour of landing and at our block no more than an hour after that, move in, unpack and its off for an evening hunt. for the chopper it costs $2800 return, boat etc hire is on top of this, all up about $1500 per person for a party of three. when we get back we shower at the hanger and get changed, they then drop us at the airport and were home in time for tea that night, our gear follows a few days later. it works really well and is fairly cost effective for small parties. just another option for guys looking to hunt that stunning little island and its cunning whitetail deer!!, good luck to all who do! Wink

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #33 - Feb 2nd, 2009 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
Yikes!  $1500 doesn't sound that cost effective.  Rubber boat is handy though.

Do you realise that you can take your rifles on domestic flights?  Check with the airline but Air NZ should be fine.  They don't even need a locked case, packaged up in a box is fine.

Did you get any deer?

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #34 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 8:28am
Print Post  
yeagh its a bit pricey but $1500 for two weeks of hunting those crafty little huas in that paradise is money well spent i rekon!! yeagh its just easier to courier the rifles, no hassles then and i know there there safely, ive had a fair bit of lost lugauge over the years and that would be a real piss off, two weeks on stewy and no rifle!! Shocked we are so far away we dont bother shooting meat animals apart from a camp meat, saw heaps but the only part of a buck i saw was a huge white arse going flat out in the oposite direction!! Sad this year is my year!! Wink

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

fashion since 2011

Reply #35 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
They are crafty buggers thats for sure.  If you want to take a meat animal home you have to shoot it towards the end of the trip as well.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #36 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
yeagh i had a hind leg in my walk in lugauge last year Roll Eyes looked a bit funny with a hock stikin out of my bag!! Grin Grin i can shoot meat a lot closer to home than that and i really hunt stewy for trophys so not that interested in meat.

IP Logged

Sika270
Forum Senior

Reply #37 - May 30th, 2009 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
A link to a post on a Lords River Trip May 1993 from the old forum site.
http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/issues/issues.cgi?forum=3&thread=1634

IP Logged

7mil08
Forum Font

Don't Go Pig Hunting In
Deer Country

Reply #38 - Jan 6th, 2010 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
Hello everyone. We normally head down to Mason Bay every Jan.
As we work over the xmas period so we treat this as our xmas holiday.
The only reason we head down this time of year is because it suits.
Here are some reasons why we go.

The Fantastic Sun Sets

A few Beers

Great Food

The Fishing

The Hunting

The Bird Life

Top Mates

Oh Yeah We Just Love Going Home (Not)

IP Logged

wolverine
Donor Member

To hunt is to LIVE

Reply #39 - Jan 6th, 2010 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
Hi all,
Has anybody hunted North Arm?

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

fashion since 2011

Reply #40 - Jan 7th, 2010 at 8:37am
Print Post  
Nice pics 7mil08.  Is that the new mason homestead hut?

IP Logged

7mil08
Forum Font

Don't Go Pig Hunting In
Deer Country

Reply #41 - Jan 8th, 2010 at 6:55am
Print Post  
Thanks. No it's the Cavalier Hut. Heading down that way in a few days.
Cant wait.

IP Logged

Curly

Reply #42 - Jan 13th, 2010 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
This may be a stupid question, but is there any freshwater fly fishing to be had on Stewart Island?  As if the quality of the hunting and saltwater fishing weren't enough  Grin

IP Logged

.threeoeight
Forum Senior

Reply #43 - Jan 17th, 2010 at 10:53am
Print Post  
Theres no trout in Stewart Islands rivers except the Native trout.
Some of the boys here do use flyrods to catch school fish in the sea.
Theres a few salmon getting about, both wild and farm escapes.

Its the nut behind the butt, that counts.

IP Logged

tman
Forum Senior

baa

Reply #44 - Apr 16th, 2010 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
ive hunted cavalier and little glory ,some of the huts have sheep raddle(chalk) in them if you feel you must mark tracks use the raddle it will wash of ,There is nothing more annoying than pink tape or spray paint everywhere , Please treat the island with respect and take only what you need.

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

fashion since 2011

Reply #45 - Apr 19th, 2010 at 9:04am
Print Post  
Has anyone hunted masons homestead since the new hut was put in?

Does it have a meatsafe?

Same question for Cavileer.

Just trying to work out which block to book and if I need to bring a gamebag or not.

IP Logged

Coxy
Forum Font

Reply #46 - Apr 19th, 2010 at 11:01am
Print Post  
We have Doughboy, Cavalier and Martins Creek next month so will give a update on them, anyone with any info on them let me no.
Have also hunted South Pegasus and North Big Glory if that any help to anyone.

IP Logged

boowacker
Donor Member

Reply #47 - Apr 21st, 2010 at 9:37am
Print Post  
Coxy wrote on Apr 20th, 2010 at 9:26pm:
boowacker wrote on Apr 20th, 2010 at 9:17pm:
Coxy wrote on Apr 19th, 2010 at 11:01am:
We have Doughboy, Cavalier and Martins Creek next month so will give a update on them, anyone with any info on them let me no.
Have also hunted South Pegasus and North Big Glory if that any help to anyone.

I guess you have the Rod n Rifle articles from 07?

No haven't got them.

PM me your email and I will send them thru. There's articles on Martins and Cavalier as well as several others, lots of good general info as well.

If you want someting done, ask someone who's busy.

IP Logged

bowmad
Ex Member

Reply #48 - Apr 26th, 2010 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
Any one been to South west Arm or Freds Camp recently?
Any informaqtion would be appreciated

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

fashion since 2011

Reply #49 - Apr 27th, 2010 at 8:29am
Print Post  
I went to Freds Camp in 2002.  Nice hut, good jetty to fish off, lots of mussels.  It's a bit hilly but got some nice bush to stalk in.  Like everything over that side of the island there is no clear land so it's all bush stalking.  Expect a few loopies through the hut but nothing like the numbers on the north west circuit.

IP Logged

Gypsy

Reply #50 - Apr 28th, 2010 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
Hunted Rollers Beach in 1990; lots of deer (tracks on the beach made it look like a stockyard every morning, after the night's activity) but never managed a blue cod, just the spotties. It was fascinating checking each morning to see what had been up the beach during the night. Found turtle tracks one morning. Hiked back to HMB and saw a few deer on the track (but the Sako was unloaded, of course). If you have this block you might have some difficulty finding a clear campsite. Approaching through the surf can be exciting. I understand that rifles tend to burrow down in the surf muzzle first into the sand and out of sight very quickly if the dinghy capsizes.

Bungaree - twice in the mid nineties; agree with the remarks above re trampers - I was onto a good buck (judging from the size and depth of the tracks) which was crossing the lagoon outlet early each morning. I couldn't take best advantage of the prevailing wind as the hut would've been in the background. Using a safer but less favourable approach I got within seconds of him (judging by the tracks left between one wave and the next) before he got wind of me, at which point the toes splayed and the tracks went very deep as he dropped the clutch and wheeled around  - very exciting playing cat and mouse but he was always (3 mornings before he became fed up and didn't come back) just a few seconds ahead of me.

Hapuatuna; we were about the first party in with the new hut. Lots of deer but too much wind was coming off the inlet and the back eddies kept betraying us. Took my daughter out several times with her 6mm-223 L461 Sako; we could smell the deer, hear the deer but with the thick scrub just couldn't get close enough to see them.  She loved it all the same - at least you knew the buggers were there! No shot was fired this trip but I think with more experience (see remarks above re the difference between hunting reds and hunting whitetail) we would've got one in the re-growth areas where there had been a sawmill many years ago. You're likely to get some local talent from HMB turning up for the day on this block, as it's just across the water from the back of HMB. Good fishing for cod but no mussels grow there.

Abrahams Bosom - that's well covered elsewhere.

It's a magic place SI - so look after it. I've found too many camp sites on SI that look like an outdoor brothel in one of the less privileged parts of the world.

I discovered that if you visit SI enough times you become somewhat immune to the sandflies.

Get the DVD, "The grey ghosts of Rakiura" and watch it before you go - has some very good advice in it. There's a copy in Palmerston North library for folk unfortunate enough to live in the North Island.

IP Logged

jwingill
Donor Member

Reply #51 - May 3rd, 2010 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
Massive.

All the Rakiura Hunter Camp Trust huts (includes Homestead, Martins & Cavalier)have a a meatsafe which will hold at least three bioned out animals.

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

fashion since 2011

Reply #52 - May 4th, 2010 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Thanks for that.  The old mason homestead hut didn't have one hence the question.

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

fashion since 2011

Reply #53 - May 5th, 2010 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Also does anybody know where the old airstrip is on mason homestead block?  Looking on google earth I see a clear area on the eastern boundary of the block, is that it?

IP Logged

7mil08
Forum Font

Don't Go Pig Hunting In
Deer Country

Reply #54 - May 5th, 2010 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
MassiveAttack wrote on May 5th, 2010 at 5:52pm:
Also does anybody know where the old airstrip is on mason homestead block?  Looking on google earth I see a clear area on the eastern boundary of the block, is that it?

Yes pretty much adjacent to the hunters hut. If I can figure it out I will try and PM it to you.

IP Logged

jwingill
Donor Member

Reply #55 - May 5th, 2010 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
turn right at the old gateway before the bridge just before the turnoff to the hunters hut.  The airstrip is about 150 metres from the trampers track behind a small grass ridge.  On google slide your mouse right from the photo icon of the old woolshed

IP Logged

boowacker
Donor Member

Reply #56 - May 10th, 2010 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
Back yesterday from a trip to Chew Tobacco Bay. Being an RMLT block there are a few issues to deal with when booking so if you have any questions feel free to PM me. There is very little pressure on these blocks, ours had one group of 4 in the preceeding 7 weeks!

IP Logged

.threeoeight
Forum Senior

Reply #57 - May 23rd, 2010 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
I have lived here for over twenty years now. Pretty much hunted it all.
PM me if I can be of help to anyone with info etc.

IP Logged

tdavies
Ex Member

Reply #58 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
This is a great thread for first time hunters to S. Island!
Just wondering if anyone has hunted the Rakeahua block and what its like?

Cheers

IP Logged

.threeoeight
Forum Senior

Reply #59 - Aug 11th, 2010 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
Re, Rakeahua block.
The Raki doesnt hold big numbers of whitetail deer. Best place is the big clearing 10mins from hut.Theres always a couple hanging  around there.A Redskin or two visit the clearings also. Though the locals keep the clearings sorted out. Theres a treestand mid clearing on river side of clearing.  Access is by way of boating in up the river from the sou-west arm at high tide. Or walk in from Freds camp or from Halfmoon Bay, but thats a big walk. Other areas that Ive seen deer there are across the river and hunting the native bush fringe where it meets the Manuka flats.Or walk up past swingbridge on route to Doughboy, have seen a few not far past the bridge. Or one other option is watch the tidal flats at low tide about the river mouth.Get the odd deer crossing over or feeding on the seaweeds left at low tide. Or at times you might see a deer on the tops about the summit of Mt Rakeahua.
The manuka flats are a bastard to hunt as its tight and lots of windfall, but has reasonable grass undernieth in places. The native isnt to bad but doesnt hold many deer.Find those broadleaf trees and watch them. Lots of Kiwis in block, eels in the river and trampers are liable to be using hut [6 bunks, potbelly stove] also.

IP Logged

Pawprints

Reply #60 - Aug 18th, 2010 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
I hunted there for the first time last March,,Freds camp,great hut but had to share with a few trampers most nights.
saw plenty of whitetail and one Red hind,the Red came as a bit of a supprise.
The Fishing was good,plenty of Paua,kinas the size of big things,black musells everywhere,plus enough green lips to feed an army if you dived for them.
Reasonable sized Blue cod were very easy to catch.
Heaps of cuda,about 50 dolphins came in an out with the tide everyday.
We also had guys in South west arm hut,another good hut but not as big as Freds.
More a hunters hut rather than trampers.
Compeared to Sika,,,whitetail are not very bright.
Want to move there for good,best place on earth,,,after Auckland that is Tongue

IP Logged

AzDog

I Love Animals, They Taste
Great.

Reply #61 - Aug 18th, 2010 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
Pawprints wrote on Aug 18th, 2010 at 6:54pm:
I hunted there for the first time last March,,Freds camp,great hut but had to share with a few trampers most nights.
saw plenty of whitetail and one Red hind,the Red came as a bit of a supprise.
The Fishing was good,plenty of Paua,kinas the size of big things,black musells everywhere,plus enough green lips to feed an army if you dived for them.
Reasonable sized Blue cod were very easy to catch.
Heaps of cuda,about 50 dolphins came in an out with the tide everyday.
We also had guys in South west arm hut,another good hut but not as big as Freds.
More a hunters hut rather than trampers.
Compeared to Sika,,,whitetail are not very bright.
Want to move there for good,best place on earth,,,after Auckland that is Tongue

Ha Ha,crack up,funniest thing I've heard all week Grin

save a mouse,eat a pussy

IP Logged

Jaffa300WSM

Reply #62 - Jan 8th, 2011 at 11:44pm
Print Post  
Right or wrong we (father and two brothers) have booked Abrahams bay at the end of April.

Will be a bloody good trip regardless but it would be nice to get one or two.

Any info on what this block will be like at that time of year would be appreciated Smiley

IP Logged

.threeoeight
Forum Senior

Reply #63 - Jan 9th, 2011 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
Abrahams will be pretty worked over by the end of April.Most of those close blocks get back to back hunting parties in them.
My suggestion is to hunt the Coast fringes especially the Rata creek further round to the east of where your in the hut.Also check out the broadleaf areas.These whitetail love the stuff and will wander between the broadleafs looking for windfall leaves.Find these areas and clear a sneak track into them and sit down wind and wait them out 2hrs each from dawn and dusk.
You wont find many deer way back or up high.
Watch the beaches at low tides with binos as they love to get out for a run and use the beaches for getting from A to B. The block is nice and easy going except for the supplejack thickets and crownfern everywhere with a 6 bunk hunter hut and potbelly stove and running water.Take/hire a dinghy and use it to gain easier access to the ends of your block and of course for the bluecod.
Have a great trip.

IP Logged

Jaffa300WSM

Reply #64 - Jan 9th, 2011 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info .308!

IP Logged

jwingill
Donor Member

Reply #65 - Jun 3rd, 2011 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
For those wanting to use Rakiura Maori Land Blocks.  Nicola has been appointed to look after permits, she will respond to queries, she lives and works at Halfmoon Bay.   Contact details on their website:    http://www.huntrakiura.co.nz/

IP Logged

Far Canal

I Love The Fish

Reply #66 - Jun 21st, 2011 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
In the process of organising a trip to the Rollers block for the 2012 rut Cheesy  Cheesy Cheesy
Any info on this block would be appreciated. I havn't talked to the charter boat guys yet but does anyone have a rough idea of what it would cost?

IP Logged

.threeoeight
Forum Senior

Reply #67 - Jun 26th, 2011 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
Rollers block.
Hunt the Garden point area of this block, theres always a good buck or two hanging out there.Youll have to fly camp to hunt it effectivly.Sit back and watch the ferny clearings with binos.Try not to walk through the area two early putting your scent everywhere.
Youve got the main Nor west circuit track running above the coast right through your block.With Christmas village hut at the end of the block.
Seen a few deer around the nor west end of the beach also.But anywhere along the coastal fringe and inland but not to high up the hills.
This block as alot of other coastal ones gets hammered at times by the weather and sea.Can be hard at times to  get ashore or go for a fish.
Ian Wilson runs a water taxi up the shore at times give him a ring for a price.ph 032191394.

IP Logged

Far Canal

I Love The Fish

Reply #68 - Jun 26th, 2011 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
Awesome thanks for the info. I thought that Garden point looked quite nice on google earth.

IP Logged

boowacker
Donor Member

Reply #69 - May 7th, 2012 at 9:53am
Print Post  
Just back from CT Bay. Interested in hearing from anyone who has been on, or attempted to book, an RMLT block lately. To cut a loooooooong story short I rocked up to the Bluff ferry to find no ferry booking for us, no block booked, no boat booked Angry Angry

IP Logged

jwingill
Donor Member

Reply #70 - Oct 7th, 2012 at 11:23am
Print Post  
A lot of the campsite information on Blocks on the Island in this thread are out of date. For the latest info see:

http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1276739825

IP Logged

shadow
Donor Member

mad on hunting

Reply #71 - May 19th, 2013 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
Abrahams Bay
there is a good warm 6 bunk hunters hut on the block
take coal and kindling with you
rain water tanks to the rear of the hut
large mud flats in front of hut at low tide and plenty of deer sign to the far west of the bay and to the east stag scrapes etc are found high in the block
large flatish area at the back of the bay for the older who want to hunt but dont want the hills hind and fawn sign only in this area

plenty of blue cod to the west of the bay entrance but be carefull
we hooked a very large 7 gill shark that also likes eating colapsable craypots
take a long rope with you and make an anchor with a sack full of rocks and keep the dinghy floating during the day move rock in and out with the tide as required

Have a great time Wink Wink Wink

IP Logged

jwingill
Donor Member

Reply #72 - May 20th, 2013 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
shadow wrote on May 19th, 2013 at 6:22pm:
Atake a long rope with you and make an anchor with a sack full of rocks and keep the dinghy floating during the day move rock in and out with the tide as required
Have a great time Wink Wink Wink

Seems to lot of effort when there is a good mooring (weighted car tyre) about 200 metres north along the beach.  Take a long rope to set up a pully.

IP Logged

SHNHUNTA
Just Joined

Reply #73 - Jun 3rd, 2013 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
trying to plan a trip and wanting to know what blocks have good handy diving/fishing aswell most of the crew are new hunters but we can all dive and spear flounder
lol any info will be awesome thanx

IP Logged

JoshC
Forum Font

Reply #74 - Jun 5th, 2013 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Most of the blocks around the northern/ne and eastern coasts are well suited for diving and fishing., provding the weather suits. Generally easier access to the sea. Also have easier access for drop off by ferry/boat and are fairly sheltered for use of your own smaller boats, ie rubber ducks/tinnys etc. Try and book one with natural shelter from open sea, but not too far inland, say in the coastal Patersons blocks. South of Breaksea, open sea can be very big, swell usually doubles in size once you head south past Breaksea. The tides can be a pain in the arse in the heads of any of the inlets, and its a fair way to clear water diving in some cases. The Glory blocks, Freds Camp, Tikatotahi/kellys/bosom blocks, Maori beach, Bungaree are all pretty neat blocks to start with. Once you've got an idea of what to expect, you will be back, and could try some of the other blocks.  Pegasus blocks are pretty awesome for scenery, diving and fishing, and hunting, but a long way down and pretty expensive to get to. Worth it though in my opinion. Northern/nw and West coast blocks are more suited to access by plane and heli, so can be expensive. Most blocks have good fishing and diving if you get the weather right, but access to the sea can be very limited and generally fishing off the rocks is your realistic option. The west side is fairly rugged.

IP Logged

joecol
Just Joined

Reply #75 - Jun 16th, 2013 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
That's great info thanks. If you were choosing a hut around the Glory blocks/Abraham area which one would be most suited to someone in the party who can't walk far and just needs to potter about near the hut enjoying the birds and scenery etc? Can you walk along the beachfront from Little Glory or is it all rocky?

IP Logged

Zacko

Reply #76 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
Any tips on where to head for deer in South Pegasus we have it the middle of march next year for 2 weeks I see that Belltopper Falls is in the North hunting block

IP Logged

Stuckatwork

Reply #77 - Nov 15th, 2013 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Whats the deal with staying in the doc huts?
I know they say to take a tent and camp beside it but does anyone actually do this?

IP Logged

12pointer
Forum Font

You haven't shot many,
if you havent missed
a few.

Reply #78 - Nov 15th, 2013 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
Stuckatwork wrote on Nov 15th, 2013 at 2:07pm:
I know they say to take a tent and camp beside it but does anyone actually do this?

The DOC huts are for the trampers etc. nothing to stop you staying/sleeping/using them if there is no trampers wanting to use them, BUT you can't expect to have rights to them for 10 days or even less  for hunting purposes, so I think that's why the instruction to be self sufficient and  have your own tentage. So you don't want trampers going back and telling DOC they couldn't stay in a DOC hut because a group of hunters had comondered them...... gives us a bad name, and your likelihood of being able to get a block in the future could be reduced. DOC down Stewart island are very obliging and great to deal with (believe it or not)

IP Logged

boowacker
Donor Member

Reply #79 - Nov 15th, 2013 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
Everyone, including the trampers should be self sufficient. If you have paid to stay in the hut, stay in the hut. Doesnt matter if it's 10 days or not.
On the other side of the coin, as 12 Pointer said, it is worth being accommodating and working with the trampers. Especially keeping the place clean and being welcoming.

IP Logged

Stuckatwork

Reply #80 - Jun 22nd, 2014 at 10:08am
Print Post  
Can anyone tell me where to find some long range tide times for the island?
I have googled it and only found one site, would really like to cross reference it with another to make sure its accurate...

IP Logged

boowacker
Donor Member

Reply #81 - Jun 22nd, 2014 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
What date?

IP Logged

.threeoeight
Forum Senior

Reply #82 - Jun 22nd, 2014 at 1:07pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

bunnybasher
Just Joined

out there doing it

Reply #83 - May 17th, 2015 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
hi guys i have booked freds camp later this year. awesome info on this thread just wondering if anyone can recommend a good water taxi to get there and whats the best way to get bulk gear over there as the ferry i found has limited baggage (or am i wrong?). cheers in advance

IP Logged

.threeoeight
Forum Senior

Reply #84 - May 18th, 2015 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
So youll be going from Bluff by the ferry service so you can pretty much take what you like. Pays to book first and talk to them about space requirements.
Are you taking a dinghy/motor etc?
Theres limited space on the water taxis so take that into consideration.

These are two good operators that will see you right.

Ian Wilson, water taxi.   032191394

Rakiura Charters,        032191487

IP Logged

bunnybasher
Just Joined

out there doing it

Reply #85 - May 19th, 2015 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
yea rung the ferry today they said pretty much get there as early as possible to get all my gear on first. hoping to take an inflatable with a 2.5 hp aux i think. cheers will contact water taxis tomorrow

IP Logged

boowacker
Donor Member

Reply #86 - May 19th, 2015 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
Ive always found the ferry team great to deal with. The tubs they use hold a heap of gear.

IP Logged

Tom N
Donor Member

Reply #87 - May 26th, 2015 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
Hi guys,

Just chasing a bit of info in regards to boat mooring at Kellys Block?

We're heading down there in a few weeks and are towing a boat over if there's a decent mooring for it off the beach.

Can't wait to get down there and get into it.

Thanks in advance for any info coming my way.

Cheers, Tom.

“A man never stands as tall as when he kneels to help a child.”

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

fashion since 2011

Reply #88 - May 27th, 2015 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
Stuckatwork wrote on Nov 15th, 2013 at 2:07pm:

I always do this.  Who wants to spend a night in a hut full of smelly trampers?  Talking to the trampers is always an enjoyable part of the experience and I cook in the hut but it's nice to have your own space.

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

fashion since 2011

Reply #89 - May 27th, 2015 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
boowacker wrote on Nov 15th, 2013 at 4:24pm:
Everyone, including the trampers should be self sufficient. If you have paid to stay in the hut, stay in the hut. Doesnt matter if it's 10 days or not.
On the other side of the coin, as 12 Pointer said, it is worth being accommodating and working with the trampers. Especially keeping the place clean and being welcoming.

On the practical aspect hunters fly or boat in so take more gear.  Trampers carry everything on their back on one of NZ's longer tramps so they don't tend to take tents.

IP Logged

ronnie01
Just Joined

Family that hunts together
stays together

Reply #90 - Sep 6th, 2015 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
first trip booked Abrahams Bay hopefully algood can't wait some good info all round
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2015 at 9:28pm by ronnie01 »  

IP Logged

the_spartan
Just Joined

Reply #91 - Dec 23rd, 2015 at 10:59am
Print Post  
I was wondering if anyone had hunted the Bungaree Block recently and might have any tips or advice for hunting this block? I am heading into this block this January.
Thanks

IP Logged

.threeoeight
Forum Senior

Reply #92 - Dec 23rd, 2015 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
As of a couple of days ago Aurora charters has been taken over by Ian Wilson.
Hes a good chap and will be doing a lot of hunter pick ups and drop offs.
All bookings are all go so if you are booked youre still good to go etc.
Ians phone No is 03 2191394.

IP Logged

bruce
Just Joined

Reply #93 - Mar 14th, 2016 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
A small group of us are looking at heading down to Stewart island. Looking at booking one of the RMLT blocks. If anyone can give us info on anything would be appreciated. What do guys normally do for gas , where do you get coal. What other gear do you recommend. Much appreciated.

IP Logged

boowacker
Donor Member

Reply #94 - Mar 14th, 2016 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
Things have changed in the last couple of years. Take your own 9kg bottle. Buy a heap of coal in Invercargill. Gear list is much the same as any other hunt anywhere in NZ.

IP Logged

beechleaf

Reply #95 - May 2nd, 2016 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
we had big kuri in april. awesome block... don't forget yr mossie repellent.....they'll eat u alive  Cool

IP Logged

boowacker
Donor Member

Reply #96 - May 2nd, 2016 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
I'm back to Chew Tobacco in a couple of weeks, can't wait ☺☺

IP Logged

Stagrinon
Donor Member

No pain No gain.

Reply #97 - May 3rd, 2016 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
I might be down that way in the near future, as a reli has just bought a place in Oban, they arent into hunting and gathering so dont really have too much info.   Are there open blocks available or can you find bookings at short notice?

I understand Squizzy is the man to see about a bit of fishing.  Guessing i may need to travel a bit further for scallops and crays?

IP Logged

boowacker
Donor Member

Reply #98 - May 3rd, 2016 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
If it was a little closer i would have a place there in a heartbeat. I have to make do with the Sounds Huh
.threeoeight is your man for local knowledge but there a a heap of options for hunting and diving without breaking the bank.

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

fashion since 2011

Reply #99 - May 4th, 2016 at 9:19am
Print Post  
beechleaf wrote on May 2nd, 2016 at 7:12pm:
we had big kuri in april. awesome block... don't forget yr mossie repellent.....they'll eat u alive  Cool

+1, also take an alarm clock.

IP Logged

jwingill
Donor Member

Reply #100 - May 18th, 2016 at 9:32pm
Print Post  

For information on the various huts on hunting blocks on Stewart Island see:-

http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1276739825

IP Logged

jwingill
Donor Member

Reply #101 - May 18th, 2016 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
Hunter Reports    Stewart Island

We need hunting parties to the Island to complete a report after your trip.  DOC have shifted to emailed permits and the old paper Hunter report is no longer posted and the number of Hunter Reports has declined dramatically. 

Hunter effort data is essential if we are to advocate for hunters and hunting on the Island.

Please ensure one member of your party completes a Hunter Report after your trip to the Island at this link:

http://www.southlanddeerstalkers.org.nz/hunter-returns/

A summary of the information gathered can be seen at:-

http://www.southlanddeerstalkers.org.nz/documents/Rakiura-Hunter-returns_1977-20...

These reports are also very helpful to Rakiura Hunter Camp Trust to monitor issues at the Hunter Huts.

IP Logged

boowacker
Donor Member

Reply #102 - Jun 4th, 2016 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
Just back this week, it's in the post.

IP Logged

jwingill
Donor Member

Reply #103 - Jun 5th, 2016 at 10:21am
Print Post  
Hunting tip. Avoid sleeping on the vynel mattress cover. Make your bed a bit more comfortable.  These are available at the Warehouse:-  Necessities Brand Mattress Protector Strapped Single 9400048393453  $ 3.00 Wink

IP Logged

bruce
Just Joined

Reply #104 - Apr 3rd, 2017 at 7:06am
Print Post  
Well we wet to Big Kuri, via Oban. Stayed in Oban a couple of nights just to have a look around. Very nice couple of days as well. We used Aurora Charters. We had them supply the gas bottle. Sadly we were expecting a gas stove in the hut. We had a BBQ only, and the gas bottle did not have the correct fitting. Lucky i took a small tramping stove. Another gas bottle and stove was dropped off the next day. Lucky we took a satellite phone. We also hired a 14 foot dingy. We think it should have come with oars and maybe an anchor, but it had neither. The weather was amazing. Plenty of deer sign. I shot a deer first time out for meat. Not far from the hut. Did not bother going out again. The others went out but were unsuccessful. Plenty of blue cod. We had enough paua, but sadly the paua numbers were not great. I expected to see more smaller paua. Not sure if this is caused by humans or something else. I suspect other divers taking under-size. Thank god we took bug spray, and mesh hoods.
The other thing we took was two small 12v batteries, three LED lights and a small solar panel. Much better than candles. Overall an awesome trip. Dont know why it took us so long to  get there.

IP Logged

bruce
Just Joined

Reply #105 - Apr 4th, 2017 at 12:26am
Print Post  
One thing I forgot to mention. We hired a van from Riverside Rentals. Could not have asked for better service. They even took the back seats out to allow extra room for the gear.

IP Logged

jwingill
Donor Member

Reply #106 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 9:11am
Print Post  
The following has been circulated by Real Journeys which will have implications for whitetail deer hunters.

From 1st June 2017 the following rules apply to the carriage of fuel and/or gas on Stewart Island Ferry.
Limits
•      4 x 20 litre certified fuel containers (80 litre maximum, petrol or diesel)
•      5 x 9 kg  gas bottles (50 kg maximum, flammable gas incl. LPG)
As per the Dangerous Goods Act, if any flammable gas is carried, the maximum fuel allowance is reduced to 50 litres.  Empty containers are treated the same as full containers, so all containers need to be booked.
1.      All fuel and gas must be pre-booked and pre-paid.  Price is $5 per full container.  Please book direct at the Bluff Visitor Terminal.
2.      All fuel must be accompanied by a ferry passenger. No fuel will be transported unaccompanied.
3.      There are no storage facilities at either Bluff of Oban for dangerous goods.

NO FUEL OR GAS IS TO BE CARRIED IN FREIGHT BINS.

Luggage Limits
Two bags per person, both will be stored in freight bins plus one small bag ie handbag size
which can be taken in the cabin.
Freight limits
Equivalent of two bags or five banana boxes.
Hunting and tramping parties.
The above limits apply to hunting and tramping groups. These limits include the carriage of fuel and inflammable gas. Hunting parties often require additional luggage and should be organised in advance.  Please contact Bluff Visitor Terminal to arrange.  Additional luggage/freight will be charged at $35 per bin or part thereof.   We encourage all groups reconfirm their bookings with Bluff Visitor Terminal prior to day of departure. 
All fuel etc needs to be booked in advance.  Please call to avoid disappointment.

However, on the positive side:-
Pete Ross Automotive at 14 Ayr Street,  Halfmoon Bay
(beside the Community Centre) has the following supplies:
Petrol
Diesel
LPG Gas Bottle refills (and gas bottles to hire on short term rental)
Coal
Wood (large fadges or small bags)
Kindling
Fuelite (White Spirits)
Fuel Containers
2-stroke Oils (General, Marine and Motorcycle)
CRC and WD40
Car and Boat batteries
9v Batteries and small batteries for watches etc
We have available for hire:
Gas rings,  Tents.
Contact Pete Ross on 03 2191 266 or email peterossauto@xtra.co.nz   They are  quite happy to meet hunters off the ferry and deliver down anything they may require, or liaise in with the charter operators.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards