Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) STEWART ISLAND whose been there (Read 93259 times)
lost legend

I love all animals, they
taste great!

Re: STEWART ISLAND whose been there
Reply #30 - Mar 9th, 2008 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
i hunted south west arm back in feb 2002 before the hut was put on the block.  there were 8 hunters in our party and we only managed to see 5 deer between us and only one was shot.  the block is long and a little steep if i remember rightly.  i think the block is like any other on the island you get out of it what you put into it.  one thing i will say is we had really bad luck with our fishing all we could catch were little sharks.  i hope you have better luck in the block than we did.

IP Logged

Viking
Forum Font

Life is for living--not
for worrying

Reply #31 - May 5th, 2008 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
outdoorlad wrote on Jan 16th, 2008 at 12:03am:
Have hunted Martins creek & Cavaler blocks in Mason's bay, fly in and land on the beach at low tide.
Good numbers of animals, hunt the sand dunes & bush. On one trip we shot 4 the first afternoon between 3 of us. Used to be able to walk down the south end of the beach & get paua at low tide. Basic hut at martins and bivvy at Cavaler, may have changed now?

The Homestead block is also good.

Hunted Murray river block in the north a few years ago, -magic place, yds of deer then, had about 5 in the first 2 days incl a magic head, resorted to "armed tramping" after that, flounder in the estuary,fish off the rocky point, all the Paua, mussels, oysters,scallops, crayfish and fish you could eat, camped inside the flax at end of beautiful beach, sandflies unbelieveable, and sooples like hair on a dogs back!! Good hunting on the headlands, yds of crownfern, on tramping track but they didn't bother us. Mid way between Bungaree and Christmas village, Open to the NW so a boat not much use, mainly biggish Rimu bush but a lot of it has been cut over, remains of old sawmill and wooden railway tracks along beachfront, Would go back there tomorrow!

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #32 - Feb 2nd, 2009 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
this is an excelant thread 12pointer, well done mate!! Smiley just thought i would put this up as most guys seem to go by boat, as i did on my first trip there. im not really into big groups on hunting trips so ours are three person trips(2 hunters and one diver/fisherman/camp bitch). as i live in the upper north island(whangerei) its quite a logistcle mission to get every thing there and as we want to maximise our hunting time, we have found that choppers are better for us. rakiura maori land trust are fine with chopper access as long as you go with aproved operators. we send all our gear down in fishbins with lids, duck taped closed, a few weeks prior to our trip, then courier our riffles down in hard cases a few days prior. we fly down and land at invercargill, the chopper company will buy all our food, beers etc of an e mailed list and also organise an inflatable boat, out board, fuel, gas bottle and mountain radio. they pick us up from the airport and we go straight to there hanger, get changed and throw our packs in the chopper which they have allready loaded the rest of our gear into, we are in the air within an hour of landing and at our block no more than an hour after that, move in, unpack and its off for an evening hunt. for the chopper it costs $2800 return, boat etc hire is on top of this, all up about $1500 per person for a party of three. when we get back we shower at the hanger and get changed, they then drop us at the airport and were home in time for tea that night, our gear follows a few days later. it works really well and is fairly cost effective for small parties. just another option for guys looking to hunt that stunning little island and its cunning whitetail deer!!, good luck to all who do! Wink

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #33 - Feb 2nd, 2009 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
Yikes!  $1500 doesn't sound that cost effective.  Rubber boat is handy though.

Do you realise that you can take your rifles on domestic flights?  Check with the airline but Air NZ should be fine.  They don't even need a locked case, packaged up in a box is fine.

Did you get any deer?

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #34 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 8:28am
Print Post  
yeagh its a bit pricey but $1500 for two weeks of hunting those crafty little huas in that paradise is money well spent i rekon!! yeagh its just easier to courier the rifles, no hassles then and i know there there safely, ive had a fair bit of lost lugauge over the years and that would be a real piss off, two weeks on stewy and no rifle!! Shocked we are so far away we dont bother shooting meat animals apart from a camp meat, saw heaps but the only part of a buck i saw was a huge white arse going flat out in the oposite direction!! Sad this year is my year!! Wink

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

fashion since 2011

Reply #35 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
They are crafty buggers thats for sure.  If you want to take a meat animal home you have to shoot it towards the end of the trip as well.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #36 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
yeagh i had a hind leg in my walk in lugauge last year Roll Eyes looked a bit funny with a hock stikin out of my bag!! Grin Grin i can shoot meat a lot closer to home than that and i really hunt stewy for trophys so not that interested in meat.

IP Logged

Sika270
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #37 - May 30th, 2009 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
A link to a post on a Lords River Trip May 1993 from the old forum site.
http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/issues/issues.cgi?forum=3&thread=1634

IP Logged

7mil08
Forum Font

Don't Go Pig Hunting In
Deer Country

Reply #38 - Jan 6th, 2010 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
Hello everyone. We normally head down to Mason Bay every Jan.
As we work over the xmas period so we treat this as our xmas holiday.
The only reason we head down this time of year is because it suits.
Here are some reasons why we go.

The Fantastic Sun Sets

A few Beers

Great Food

The Fishing

The Hunting

The Bird Life

Top Mates

Oh Yeah We Just Love Going Home (Not)

IP Logged

wolverine
Donor Member

To hunt is to LIVE

Reply #39 - Jan 6th, 2010 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
Hi all,
Has anybody hunted North Arm?

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

fashion since 2011

Reply #40 - Jan 7th, 2010 at 8:37am
Print Post  
Nice pics 7mil08.  Is that the new mason homestead hut?

IP Logged

7mil08
Forum Font

Don't Go Pig Hunting In
Deer Country

Reply #41 - Jan 8th, 2010 at 6:55am
Print Post  
Thanks. No it's the Cavalier Hut. Heading down that way in a few days.
Cant wait.

IP Logged

Curly

Reply #42 - Jan 13th, 2010 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
This may be a stupid question, but is there any freshwater fly fishing to be had on Stewart Island?  As if the quality of the hunting and saltwater fishing weren't enough  Grin

IP Logged

.threeoeight
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #43 - Jan 17th, 2010 at 10:53am
Print Post  
Theres no trout in Stewart Islands rivers except the Native trout.
Some of the boys here do use flyrods to catch school fish in the sea.
Theres a few salmon getting about, both wild and farm escapes.

Its the nut behind the butt, that counts.

IP Logged

tman
Forum Senior

baa

Reply #44 - Apr 16th, 2010 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
ive hunted cavalier and little glory ,some of the huts have sheep raddle(chalk) in them if you feel you must mark tracks use the raddle it will wash of ,There is nothing more annoying than pink tape or spray paint everywhere , Please treat the island with respect and take only what you need.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards