Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) STEWART ISLAND whose been there (Read 93263 times)
lost legend

I love all animals, they
taste great!

Re: STEWART ISLAND whose been there
Reply #15 - Jan 18th, 2008 at 2:19pm
Print Post  

hello to all, I've just returned form a 8 day trip to the Upper Lords River block managed by DOC.  There were a total of 5 people in my hunting party.  It cost us roughly $650 each for the trip (a break down of this below) from bluff return.

charter cost was $2200
12ft Stabi dinghy hire $160
25hp outboard hire $240
mountain radio hire $50
outboard fuel 80L 50:1 $150
food $500

We used Mana Charters operated by Bob Hawkless ( www.manacharters.com ), he was great organising the mountain radio, stabi and the outboard motor.  It was the second time i have travelled to Stewart Island with Bob and he must have talked nicely to the weather gods as the ocean was nice and flat for our trip.  The trip takes approx 3 1/2 hours from Bluff.

Although we were unable to bring any of the meat back form the animals we shot ( it all went off due to the heat ) we all had a great time.  I personaly shot 3 deer two Hinds and one 6 point stag in hard velvet, the head wasn't the best but seeing as it was my first white tail stag i was more than happy.  Two other members of the party also shot a Hind each and between the five of us we saw 27 deer. 
This year we got lucky with the weather and only had a couple of rain showers that passed in an hour or two.  Two years earlier we were in the same block and it pretty much rained from the day we got there to the day we left.

Upper Lords River Block Information

There is no hut on this block but there are plans to put one on there hopefully by the end of this year although i've been hearing this for the last few years.

There is a basic bivvy on the block at the following GPS ref E2133805 N5336698, this is also the most likely spot for a hut when they get around to putting one there.

Most of the deer that were seen or shot were between 30 and 45 meters above sea level

The campsite and bivvy are approx 8km up the river from the South Lords Hut.

You can only get up the river 2 hours either side of high tide.

For those people that like to fish on hunting trips you need to head all the way back down the river to the river mouth to catch fish.  There is plenty of big Blue Cod and Trumpeter to be caght out there.

The river water can be very brackish and i reccomend taking in some drinking water with you (the water from the river is drinkable it just doesn't taste to good).  I took 50L for the five of us and that lasted the 8 days we were there.

A GPS unit is a godsend in this block, we had a mix of new and old units with us.  The new units worked really well and i found the older units had trouble picking up a signal under the bush canopy.

The bush is mostly open with crown fern under foot but there is the odd stand of kanuka that has nice green grass under it.

As it rains alot down there a good fly to set up over your tent is a good idea.

i thinks thats all i can think of right now if i think of anything else i'll let you know.  If i knew how to post a photo or two i'd add some.

i hope this may help some one

IP Logged

12pointer
Forum Font

You haven't shot many,
if you havent missed
a few.

Reply #16 - Jan 18th, 2008 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
Here are some photos from lost legend of his recent trip to the UPPER LORDS RIVER BLOCK (he e-mailed them to me to post because he hasn't got the hang of the photobucket/resizing thing yet)

The clearing, this is typical of the few clearings I came across on the south west sector of the block

Bogan and his 1st. deer, this is a pic of me with my first deer I shot on this trip (my fourth whitetail shot on Stewart Island)

Loading the Mana at South Lords prior to leaving the the Island, and heading back to work. No one wanted to leave †Cry

Bogan and Leo going up the river on the way in, at high tide.

The bivey at Upper Lords, 5 star accomadation, it doesn't look much, but has a great fire for those cold nights.

Inside the Bivey, our set up.

The Kiwi, just one of the many that we spotted on our trip. I'm sure we spotted more kiwi during the daytime than we spotted deer.

As said above, all these pics, and the text belongs to lost legend in relation to his posting immediatley above this one about the UPPER LORDS BLOCK.

IP Logged

MADNESS
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jan 18th, 2008 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
when i hunted that block the deer had been living in that bivvy sleeping under the table †Grin

Despite the rising cost of living it still remains popular

IP Logged

wilderness
Forum Senior

TAKE NOTHING FOR GRANTED

Reply #18 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
at the moment im thinking of heading to the southern lords block or the mason bay area? anyone got any

advice on this?

IP Logged

lost legend

I love all animals, they
taste great!

Reply #19 - Jan 26th, 2008 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
Here are a few of my thoughts if you are thinking of heading into the south lords block.

GPS GPS GPS on this block I would definitely hunt with one even if it was just in my pack turned off, the bush gets very thick around the camp and it would help get you home.

The hut has 6 bunks and even on a cold night is incredibly hot inside.  If you do get cold it has a pot belly stove so take some fire wood cut nice and small.

There is no running water or a sink in the hut, there are located outside.

There is a meat safe but it will only hold two full animals if you were lucky.

Most of the good hunting is up the river I would suggest 1 dinghy between two people.

Booking the upper lords block at the same time would be a good idea as there are plenty of deer around the camp site on the upper lords block and you don't risk running into a lost hunter.

The sea can get very rough very quickly and fishing is not always an option, take plenty of food with you it is only a 20 metre walk to the hut from the beach at low tide.

I am only aware of two charter boat operators that can drop people off on the RMLT blocks, Herbie Hansen on the Southern Isle, or Bob Hawkless on Mana.  The trip will cost about $2200 return.

A mountain radio is an important tool down there although you can get radio reception in the hut.

Storage in the hut is minimal so good sealing plastic containers that can be kept out side would be a good idea.

I hope this helps you, Iíve got no idea about the Mason Bay area as Iíve only ever hunted the east coast blocks.

IP Logged

12pointer
Forum Font

You haven't shot many,
if you havent missed
a few.

Reply #20 - Jan 26th, 2008 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
blackbunny wrote on Jan 26th, 2008 at 4:39pm:
Quote:
I am only aware of two charter boat operators that can drop people off on the RMLT blocks, Herbie Hansen on the Southern Isle, or Bob Hawkless on Mana. †The trip will cost about $2200 return.

Is this a typo?

No this is correct i.e. any charter operator can service the D.O.C. blocks, but only approved operators with a concession can service the Maori Lands Trust Blocks.

IP Logged

lost legend

I love all animals, they
taste great!

Reply #21 - Jan 26th, 2008 at 11:51pm
Print Post  
yeah thats for the boat. The price stays the same if you take 4 or 12 people.  In my experience 6-8 people is the best number to aim for.  If you go on Mana with Bob you get bacon and egg pie on the trip to and from the block mmmmmm pie.

IP Logged

lost legend

I love all animals, they
taste great!

Reply #22 - Feb 3rd, 2008 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
here are a couple of phot's from my trip in Jan, i hope i've done this right

Dean and Leo taking break

The long drop that we relocated and fixed up

Leo and his first White Tail Deer

Looking down the river from below camp

Back steaks for dinner

Dad holding my 6 point stag. †It was shot at the top end of the Toi Toi Flats on the edge of our block

I will try to upload all my photo's to Photo Bucket and then i will post the link so you can all have a look

hope you enjoy.

IP Logged

wilderness
Forum Senior

TAKE NOTHING FOR GRANTED

Reply #23 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
so you reakon upper loards is better than the lower lords? am i able to book both? thanks allot for this info mate!!! it bloody awsome Wink

IP Logged

lost legend

I love all animals, they
taste great!

Reply #24 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
Yeah upper lords would be the block of choice for me, but i only really hunt DOC blocks as i don't like the idea of paying to walk around in native bush. †If the DOC block is available there is no reason why you can't book it, i've had two blocks next to each other at the same time before.

There are plenty of deer up there, my suggestion would be to hunt in behind the bivvy in the creek as there are alot of nice little grass clearings just off the creek with heaps of sign. Well there was in Jan this year. †

Take lots of photo's and put up a story when you get back as i'd like to see how you get on when you are down there.

IP Logged

wilderness
Forum Senior

TAKE NOTHING FOR GRANTED

Reply #25 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
LL thanx allot mate!! thats where ill head, if i can ill book the south lords at the same time so i have a hut and a bit of fishing access. if not upper lords is all good,

cheers mate, should i ever bump into ya ill buy you a beer!

IP Logged

Bruce
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Feb 10th, 2008 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
Just wanted any advise on what is the best/easiest place to hunt in Stewart Island.
We are keen on the hunting and fishing if not overly sucessful. Smiley

IP Logged

wilderness
Forum Senior

TAKE NOTHING FOR GRANTED

Reply #27 - Feb 10th, 2008 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
pm 12 pointer, he'll set ya strait Cool

IP Logged

blackeyed1
Forum Font

Nothing But Head

Reply #28 - Feb 25th, 2008 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
Backpack just reminded me of something that I feel should be mentioned.

Stewart Island is a special place,as are most places in NZ.Treat it with respect

How about thinking of the next users next time your down there and about to slash a track,hang tape , dazzle trees,put slash marks in trees so you can find your way back to camp . Learn how to use a compass,take note of your surrounds or get a GPS

One other thing,there is no need to cut down huge piles of broad leaf Angry the bigger the pile does not relate to bigger or more deer

Look around for fresh sign,these deer are creatures of habit they will come back,be patient Wink

Sorry though this needed to be included,rant over †Embarrassed

Long Range Hunter, Close Range Shooter

IP Logged

larrakin
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Feb 25th, 2008 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
HI,
I am Heading to south west arm in a couple of weeks . Has anyone been there?.
Any tips for hunting this block or whitetail in
general,have not had the pleasure of hunting whitetail yet
but that is about to change,
Would be grateful of any advice

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards