Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Bush Huts & Base Camps (Read 52024 times)
MikeB
Donor Member

Hunting anywhere and everywhere

Re: Bush Huts & Base Camps
Reply #45 - Oct 2nd, 2013 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
I think your a bit off the mark there Tramper, the only people who bother to go to all the effort of building something like that in the bush are the ones who spend a whole helluva lot of time out there and respect it.

I for one love coming across old biv sites when im out hunting, lets you know there is a bit of history in the area. Came across one this roar in thirteen mile bush up the top of the Rakaia. Fairly sure it was an old cullers site by the 30year old tin's and all of the soles off rubber boots about the place.

There is a difference between heading in and leaving crap everywhere and putting together a quality shelter so that you can spend more time in the place you love.

IP Logged

tramper
Donor Member

Reply #46 - Oct 3rd, 2013 at 7:30am
Print Post  
I agree there are a few quality shelters out there. But most of the ones are just run down piles of rubbish or a frame with black plastic thrown over it. I will be interested to see what happens to Dooleys hut which is mentioned in another thread.

"The proper function of man is to live, not to exist.  I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them.  I shall use my time." -Jack London

IP Logged

Andrew07

Only A good Jap is a dead
Jap

Reply #47 - Oct 3rd, 2013 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
tramper wrote on Oct 3rd, 2013 at 7:30am:
I agree there are a few quality shelters out there. But most of the ones are just run down piles of rubbish or a frame with black plastic thrown over it. I will be interested to see what happens to Dooleys hut which is mentioned in another thread.

I think there is more than a few quality bivis,huts and shelters out there. even if it's a bit of black plastic thrown over a frame its still alot warmer than spending a night out under the stars or at the base of a damp tree if you were lost.

IP Logged

Gazcan

Yeah, nah....

Reply #48 - Oct 3rd, 2013 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
Andrew07 wrote on Oct 3rd, 2013 at 12:26pm:
I think there is more than a few quality bivis,huts and shelters out there. even if it's a bit of black plastic thrown over a frame its still alot warmer than spending a night out under the stars or at the base of a damp tree if you were lost.

Hopefully the lucky lost  fellow would then show his gratitude by carrying out a load of plastic & beer cans that these piles of shite seem to attract. 
The Haurangi's seem to have more than their fair share of these derelict shitholes...

The only problem with being perfect is that everyone else's imperfections really piss me off....

IP Logged

StagsRoar
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Tikka T3  .270

Reply #49 - Oct 3rd, 2013 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Found this one today up on the tops Southland. A well put together hut I thought.

I owe the fellas that own it another Nutrigrain bar.

IP Logged

Manual Man
Forum Font

Learn from yesterday,
live for today...

Reply #50 - Oct 3rd, 2013 at 11:50pm
Print Post  
I'm inclined to agree with Tramper... surprising the amount of black plastic (+ beer cans etc) on the terraces of the more frequented valleys in the Tararuas.

IP Logged

Kaweka_Neil
Donor Member

If it's outdoors, it's
all good!

Reply #51 - Oct 4th, 2013 at 8:48am
Print Post  
Manual Man wrote on Oct 3rd, 2013 at 11:50pm:
... surprising the amount of black plastic (+ beer cans etc) on the terraces of the more frequented valleys in the Tararuas.

Never ceases to piss me off when I enter a hut and see piles of empty beer cans and wine bottles littering the place.  People carry them in full and can't manage to carry out the empties?

Especially cans, that you can stamp on to compress to a fraction of their original size.  And they weigh next to nothing.

The lazy mother f*ckers need a kick up the arse!!  Angry Angry

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Ex Member

Reply #52 - Oct 4th, 2013 at 10:14am
Print Post  
Quote:
inclined to agree with Tramper... surprising the amount of black plastic (+ beer cans etc) on the terraces of the more frequented valleys in the Tararuas

+1
See them all over, even where hunters fly in, leave their shit behinds, polythene, tarpaulins, rubbish
1 percent might be looked after, the rest are rubbish and vermin tips
The safety angle is nonsense. Most of them are not far from roadends
Take a tent FFS

IP Logged

StagsRoar
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Tikka T3  .270

Reply #53 - Oct 4th, 2013 at 10:34am
Print Post  
Quote:
The safety angle is nonsense.

Yes definitely a very shallow argument in favour of them.

IP Logged

StagsRoar
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Tikka T3  .270

Reply #54 - May 25th, 2014 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
We call this Dons Camp. The original was built by a fella Don that we knew but it got vandalised back around 1990 or so. We've been camping and hunting from this spot for as many years and in recent times erected a biv to sit, eat and walk around under for when we go in and it's raining. You could sleep in it but the sandflies are a bit painful therefore you only have to carry in tent, tucker and a fart sack.

Southland Province.

« Last Edit: Nov 4th, 2014 at 12:52pm by StagsRoar »  
IP Logged

Nakiman
Donor Member

Not enough time...

Reply #55 - Jun 6th, 2014 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Here's a doozy I came across in the Mangapurua

IP Logged

XRhunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #56 - Jun 7th, 2014 at 9:58am
Print Post  
tramper wrote on Oct 1st, 2013 at 1:43pm:
What happens to all these play forts that people build in the bush when they cant be bothered with them. They are an ugly eye sore now and when they get into a bit of disrepair most people just walk away. Whats wrong with the old saying take only photos leave only footprints. How about keeping our bush in as pristine condition as we can. Take a tent and stop ruining our wild places if you want to build a play fort build it on your own land.

I agree about the odd eyesores, but most decent bivvies have had a lot of thought and effort put into them, and are worth their weight in gold for the additional level of comfort and warmth they provide  the happy hunter. In my  youth I eagerly raced about the hills bagging huts and humped crazy loads on my back. But we don't remain 30 and fit as a buck rat forever. But the desire to be out in the bush by yourself or with mates doesn't subside with age  and I'm pretty happy that years ago I spent quite a bit of time and effort hauling in bivvie  materials to various slices of paradise. All that effort put in years ago now allows me to get in there in just the clothes I wear and a day bag, stay a week, and get back out ( hopefully with a load of meat Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes)
Having said all that, it does wind me up when people who obviously flew in or drove/quaded in leave crap that could have easily taken it back with them. Angry

IP Logged

mooseman

Reply #57 - Jun 7th, 2014 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
Seen that R/D forest southland in a hunting/roar vid on this sight. It always amazes me how much stuff one will carry in
too make a base camp more like home .

IP Logged

Kane h

Reply #58 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
here's some pics of mine just started setting it up done a night in an be back up there this week

20180810_110836.jpg ( 5211 KB | 69 Downloads )
20180810_110836.jpg

IP Logged

Kane h

Reply #59 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
pretty basic dose the trick though

20180810_110903.jpg ( 5623 KB | 66 Downloads )
20180810_110903.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards