Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Re: Whangarei Heads (Read 242647 times)
davflaws
Donor Member

NOT Training for SAS Selection

Re: Whangarei Heads
Reply #975 - Jan 26th, 2020 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
To the top of Mair Bank on Friday night to fish the first hour of the ebb in 4m. Squid on med gear and stinky berley which didn't get put in the freezer after last trip. Took a single pannie from the only decent hit we had.

So we stopped in the Inner Channel on the way back to the ramp and fished for half an hour for a couple more.

Snapper 36, 32, 31. All ripening males.

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #976 - Jan 26th, 2020 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
Berleyed up on the weedline at the Old Woman in 15m from 9am to about 10.30 and fed small snapper slowly. Eventually took a small Kahawai, and trolled home taking another small one off Peach Cove and a good fish  off Busby Head.

Kahawai 35, 36, 48.  I was stuffed so Ellen processed them and I don't know about gonads.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #977 - Jan 27th, 2020 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Evidently still going strong.. Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #978 - Jan 31st, 2020 at 1:33am
Print Post  
It goes to show ya never can tell!

I only do about a quarter of what I could do 50 years ago (less for sex), so a dive plus a fishing trip is pushing it, but I did tonight. Went with a mate to Urquharts, and got 40, burning 50 bar. 
Then out to the old woman for an hour and a half on the weedline with heaps of berley pillies, blue mackerel and squid, but one nibble and a couple of snags.
So at 8.30 came back to the inner channel in 7m and repeated the exercise (plus 3 nibbles minus two snags) fishing from 8.45 to just after 9.30. By then I was starting to mumble and I was thinking about quitting cos I was stuffed. Skunked again! what the hell is wrong with the fishing? Bloody Jaffas! 

And at 9.38 , Ryan took a nice fat pannie and I put one back that was close to legal. And at 9.45 he boated another that needed a measure and at almost 10 I had a hit that pulled string and eventually netted the biggest snapper I have ever caught in the inner channel, and had barely binned it before Ryan was calling for the net and took a very good fish. Before he had ickied it, I was on again and netted a fine pannie, and while I was dealing with that (pliers and much swearing), Ryan finished the night with another good fish. We quit before the fish did . .Scallops fat as. Finished cleanup at midnight. Utterly and totally stuffed, but now I can't bloody sleep!

Snapper 52 female large gonad but watery and almost certainly regressing; 44 male well developed; 38 male developing, 38 indeterminate probably regressing female; 32 indeterminate ditto, 32 male developing

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #979 - Feb 9th, 2020 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
A pleasant enough day out on Friday with an american visitor presenting large flies to rafts of petrels and gulls from Peach Cove to Bream Head without interest, followed by a drift towing smellies on the bottom from the Fairway Buoy to the four poster, again without interest. Skunked!

Hanging out to eat fish so went out to the inner channel between Urquharts Bay wharf and Calliope Is on Sat nite to fish the ebb in 6m with med gear  burley, squid, pillies, blue mackerel, and mullet (cleaned out the bait from the freezer) between 8.30 and 10.30pm.

We fed small snapper all night but put three in the bin, along with a couple of better fish. Cleaned up and bed by midnight.

Snapper 36, 36, 31, 30 30. 3 males with very small gonads  and 2 indeterminate.

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #980 - Feb 10th, 2020 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
Had a scallop dive in Urquharts and took 40. Fat as. 20 scallops occupy around 400ml.
Snapper to 40cm followed me round, so after the dive we fished with smellies and berley for about an hour from 5-6pm on the flood in 6m. Fed small snapper (and probably some large ones too), but the blue mackerel and pillies from the bottom of the bait freezer were so soft that they were really only fit for the berley bag. They were "one nibble" baits and since there were a predominance of small snapper on the scallop beds we were skunked again!

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #981 - Feb 14th, 2020 at 8:08am
Print Post  
We went out a bit after 8pm last night and fished the last couple of hours of the flood in the inner channel between Urquharts wharf and Calliope Is in 6m with berley, squid, and fresh Kahawai on our standard medium gear. 

It was interesting to watch our guest and reflect on the way people learn in new situations. He has made $s over the years finding new and better ways of solving practical problems renovating houses in the US, and he has approached fishing "his way" He has progressed from snorkelling with a handline (so he could see how fish deal with a baited hook) to a banana colored 7 inch Jerk Shad threaded on a hook with a ball sinker just ahead of it, which was cast off the rocks in McKenzie Bay in 2m yesterday morning and produced a 32cm snapper to my surprise. Last night he was exploring a "different" setup consisting of 3 interlinked plastic "squiddy" things with mounted hooks which he baited and fished on a handline under the boat. He also used one of our sets of gear at various random times.

So we used our usual gear with baits drifted back down the berley trail and fed small snapper, putting three in the bin before the tide slackened and the nibbles stopped, while our guest swapped between his "banana", his "squiddy things" both baited and unbaited, and attracted very little interest. 

Just before we quit we always call "Last chance Fellahs! before casting the last bait to the undersized nibblers. Our guest cast the last bit of squid on my second rod, and took the fish of the night.

Snapper 37, 32, 31, 30. No gonads
Kahawai 38. No gonads

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #982 - Feb 15th, 2020 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Maybe thats why we are successful predators Dav.  Always looking for another angle and easier returns.. Curiosity and risk taking all in one bundle.. and a big brain that can imagine new and better ways of doing things. As soon as our bellys are full we have time to think about getting them even fuller.  Grin

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #983 - Feb 26th, 2020 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
Yup - we have become the planet's dominant big species and the only one to "terraform" the globe since cyanobacteria produced an oxygen atmosphere 2.5 bilion years ago.

But (thought for the day) we did it by being able to cooperate at at an amazingly sophisticated level.

And Ellen rowed out in the Middle of McKenzie Bay last night until well after dark and fed small snapper. She put back six or seven all just under 30. A few years ago they would have all been taken home but now at least half of them will live. Which brings to mind the american "serious" fisherman I took out a month ago - he carried pliers on his belt and used circle hooks so he could grab the hook and shake off anything I called as "not worth a measure". I reckon all of them will have lived.

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #984 - Mar 6th, 2020 at 9:46am
Print Post  
Went out wide on Wed with my son and grandson in his Lazercraft, Trolled along the 100m line N from the Chicks for a single big skippy. No workups, and few birds about. Did a couple pf puka drops on some foul on the seaward end of the Chicks, and had some baits gnawed but no hookups, so bounced home against a 12kt SW.

My 7 month grandson handled nearly 6 hours in the boat lying in a beanbag in the companionway. Couple of feeds, couple of sleeps, a change, and lotsa wide eyed observation. Halfway through the trip it pissed down for two hours, and the old canopy leaks like a sieve. I watched him watch the drips of rain mixed with cowshit dropping off the brim of Adam's cap onto the blanket covering his feet.

A good time of my life!

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #985 - Mar 8th, 2020 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Dived in Urquharts Bay yesterday. Took 40 scallops on 70 bar. They are end of season for sure, with nearly half thin and miserable and the remainder fat as. Followed round by pannies to about 40cm - well 35 anyway  -but well legal.

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #986 - May 22nd, 2020 at 8:56am
Print Post  
After many adventures and more than 10 weeks of lockdown we were really hanging out for fresh fish so on Tuesday evening while I was moaning piteously in the (tender?) hands of my osteopath, Ellen went fishing. She rowed out to the W point of McKenzie Bay at 5.45 and was back by 6.15 with three nice pannies. Fishing in 6m on the last of the flood with squid and salted skippy, she didn't have time to deploy berley.

Delicious!

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #987 - May 23rd, 2020 at 3:31am
Print Post  
All Tuesday's snapper gone, so I rowed out in Ellen's dinghy tonight for some more. A mint evening in McKenzie Bay in 6M. I didn't even anchor, but tied up to the furthest mooring buoy and baited up with salted skippy on med gear. No burley.

An immediate problem with my old Okuma occasioned much swearing. The bail arm kept flopping forward so each cast was interrupted unless I held it back with a finger. Hard to coordinate, and since I very soon got busy, I soon abandoned it and fished one rod. The reel is 5 years old, cost $40 on special from H&F, and has never even been rinsed, so I can't grizzle.

An hour and a half fishing produced 4 pannies before the tide slackened and they went off the bite

Snapper 31, 31, 36, all indeterminate, 37 female almost completely regressed.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards