Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Re: Whangarei Heads (Read 226963 times)
CeeJ
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Whangarei Heads
Reply #960 - Oct 28th, 2019 at 10:00am
Print Post  
interesting following, all the scallops in Nelson have died similar thing

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

NOT Training for SAS Selection

Reply #961 - Nov 28th, 2019 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
It has been a very long time. So the 20hp Tohatsu 4 stroke (quite old - but in mint condition) has replaced the 15 hp Mariner 2 stroke (very very old and in pretty rough condition), the bottom has been repaired and painted  to a standard meeting Ellen's grudging acceptance (that bit anyway). The cockpit sole and locker tops have been re nonslip painted, and the anchor well repaired, repainted, and lined with plastic matting. Various other bits of sanding everduring, priming etc are in various stages of completion. The electrical system is still dead, and there is still lots to do.

BUT IT WORKS!

So yesterday I did a seatrial with the new motor. I had lotsa dramas launching and retrieving, but that was because I was on my own and I'm no longer strong enough to muscle my way out of trouble, and no longer smart enough to look ahead and avoid it. The seatrial was just fine when I learned how much choke to use (lots), and she ran without a stutter til I hit the killswitch.

No 7 bouy to the fairway buoy in 8 min. that's 20.25kt wide open - and I think about 15kt at a comfortable cruise, and about 4kt at idle with the throttle closed. But precise figures await finding out why the battery won't charge and getting the lowrance chirping.

I am thinking with three people, two sets of Scuba gear and weights, an auxiliary motor and a fancy lunch I will still get better than 10kts since the length/beam ratio works in a semidisplacement situation.

So I tossed a Lime Tiger up and downdrift of a raft of petrels without joy, and eventually pootled home idling towing a Smiths jig. Took a little Kahawai just inside Home Point so was delighted with my morning.

Kahawai 37 female

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #962 - Nov 29th, 2019 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Hope that moter gives you many hours of service. Must be pleasant doodling around on the water without a care in the world.

''Auf dem wasser gibts kein sünde''  Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #963 - Nov 30th, 2019 at 9:55am
Print Post  
Egg salad, cold sausages, grapes, black olives, Church Rd Tom McDonald Chardonnay and a Stella for us and Berley and squid for the snapper. We showed up for supper - the snapper didn't.

An hour drifting up the shipping channel with the flood in the dusk, then an hour at anchor in the inner channel til dark dark produced a few nibbles and no hits.

Skunked!

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #964 - Nov 30th, 2019 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
That sounds pretty fine.  Grin

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #965 - Dec 4th, 2019 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
Mint day, so I geared up with diving gear, bait and berley. Yesterday, I finally cured my "leaky bung" problem (new O rings), and ran a new extended fuel line so I could put the tank right forward.

Had a pleasant enough scallop dive in the inner channel and took 20. Fat as! Then another sea trial from #7 buoy to the fairway buoy. The fuel and the diving gear up forward  produced a significant improvement in the trim, and the dory handled half a metre on the beam very comfortably. Just over 16kt wide open.

Then headed N into the sea to come back into the Bream Head shore, and pootled home a few metres off the rocks all the way. Took 4 little Kahawai.

Kahawai 40, 35, 34, 31 All too young for sex.

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #966 - Dec 7th, 2019 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
Ellen and I took some "honorary grandkids" on their first ever boat fishing trip. Pootled out from Urquharts towing a couple if Smiths jigs. Ellen likes to troll dead slow. It seems effective, since we got onto a very loose school inside the Frenchman and boated 6 Kahawai and a rat kingi (which was interesting on a handline).

Kahawai 43 f, 40 f, 36 m, 36 ?, 30 ?, 30 ?

Kingfish about 60

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #967 - Dec 8th, 2019 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
I Love what you do Dave, reminds me of my youth. Keep it up.

These days I get taken out by the kids and grandkids, awesome fun with no responsibity, but its different to  fishing out of dorys and getting in close to the rocks etc,   mind you I still  have to help fillet the catch and   I have grown to really like electric reels, especially when out past  80metres, lol

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #968 - Dec 13th, 2019 at 3:44am
Print Post  
Took a mate to get scallops and a Kahawai yesterday. The scallop dive was another screwup gearwise. The inflation valve of my new BCD (well newish) evidently now needs replacement, so it kept filling and stayed full. If I had been fully "with it", I would have just disconnected the hose from my reg and had the dive using the BCD with oral inflation.

But I wasn't "with it", and after telling god about the situation for a while, I aborted the scallop project and decided on another sea trial with more weight than the last one. Went out yet again for a timed run from #7 buoy to the Fairway buoy directly into a 10kt Northeasterly. 13.5kt wide open.

So 20.25kt with just me and no divegear.
16kt with me and 1 set of divegear.
13.5kt with me and a mate and 1 set of divegear.

Back to the Old Woman, trolling a couple of Smiths Jigs round various workups, and pootled home picking up a nice very very fat Kahawai on the way. Delicious!

Kahawai 42 female

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards