Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Re: Whangarei Heads (Read 169530 times)
davflaws
Donor Member

NOT Training for SAS Selection

Re: Whangarei Heads
Reply #930 - Nov 7th, 2018 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
A mint afternoon yesterday and I was feeling frisky straight from the Osteopath, so went out to the Chicks with a mate in my dory.

A mixed school of Trevs and small Kahawai were feeding on krill on the surface off the Old Woman. Some day I am going to get near a school with a suitable setup (fly on softbait rod probably) to see if I can catch one properly, cos various jigs and lures were (and have always been) totally ineffective. I have binned a few with a bloody gigantic treble cast over a school and jerk retrieved, but even that didn't work yesterday.

So we carried on to the Chicks and anchored in 10m over rocky kelp with the very light NW pushing us back to the sheer shore and the flooding tide taking the berley along the face. Ideal! Pillies and squid on medium gear went out the back and we settled down to wait. It wasn't long before we were steadily feeding small snapper.

I had just replaced the JW eggbeater with its ($30 special) twin and soon found that the "problem" with the old reel was actually a "problem" with the rod. It gets noisy and munts the line when I play a fish. Something to do with a bend in the rod and a sharp edge on the metal housing one of the the ceramic rod ring liners. Bugger! So it was just as well all we caught for a couple of hours were small snapper. Four in the bin and about a dozen back. The 8/0 mutsus meant that everything was lip hooked, but it was still a pain.

Just after six we took a couple of nice fish, but by 6.45, the tide slackened off and the fishing died. Not a nibble for ten mins, so we came home into the sunset and were all cleaned up and processed by 9.30.

Snapper 30, 30, 31, Females ripening 32, 39, 42 Males ripening.

IP Logged

meathunter72
Donor Member

Reply #931 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
I have had success on those schooling trevs with very small jigs 7gm grim reapers.

Keep the wind in your face and your freezer full.

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #932 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
Thanks MH
I will get some and give them a go.

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #933 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
"Boarded" by MPI Fisheries Inspectors in their flash Alloy pontoon boat this afternoon. Very happy to have everything ticketty poo, with nothing undersized and only 40 scallops (very thin and watery) in the bin.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards