Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Re: Whangarei Heads (Read 171934 times)
davflaws
Donor Member

NOT Training for SAS Selection

Re: Whangarei Heads
Reply #915 - Apr 11th, 2018 at 11:39am
Print Post  
Boy's trip on Sunday night. Too dark to find the Powerstation buoys by the time we got there, and a couple of longliners were setting in the bay in 12m, so we drifted baits out there  til the tide changed, feeding small snapper.

Then we moved in on the top of Mair Bank to fish the first couple of hours of the flood.
Squid, mullet, on med gear, with a good berley trail up onto the bank.
No legal snapper, but a little conger, a little rig, a gurnard and a kahawai in 2 hrs.

Really exciting to sight fish big KY in the berley trail.

Kahawai 56
Gurnard 36
Rig 58
Conger 93

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #916 - Apr 28th, 2018 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
Coupla trips trolling for the horse Kahawai that are around at the moment, the first combined with a SCUBA dive to pick up the weights that fell of my new rubber belt when I treated it just like the webbing one and wasn't too fussy which end I was grabbing.

I got out a bit over a week ago and picked up the weights without trouble. Dropped anchor over the estimated spot to use the anchor as the first fixed point in a circular search, and the chain was lying on two of the four 2k weights with the other two within a meter. Trolled a squid skirt home from the Frenchman and boated three nice fish

Kahawai 56 54 54 one female with developing gonads

Goes to show ya never can tell! Mint afternoon on Thursday, but not very productive. Three hours of trolling all the way to Guano Is (off Bream Head) and back for one in the bin.

But I did have about 15 min within 5m of a school of Blue Maomao and little Kahawai feeding on small plankton on the surface. Fascinating - but I know from long and frustrating experience that they won't take a lure when they're like that. Dropped a humungous hit (probably a very large Kahawai) soon after hooking up.

Kahawai 44 female developing gonads.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #917 - Apr 29th, 2018 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
Thanks DAv, always offers an insight into something I dont get to do living far inland. Sound mint.  Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #918 - May 4th, 2018 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
Got out in the dory again this afternoon and again trolled a squid skirt for an hour and a half off all the rocky bits between Smugglers Bay and Castle Rock. Two hits and one boated. But I did see what I presume was a "spawning mill" of 50+ Parore thrashing about vigorously in a tight ball just below the surface between the Frenchman and Busby Head
Kahawai 44 - no gonad development.

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #919 - May 15th, 2018 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
Last Thursday was mint. Flat as with bright sun where I was and building unpleasantness out towards the Mokohinaus and the Barrier. I had to go to AK in the afternoon, but I had a couple of hours spare in the morning, so I pootled off in the dory from Urquharts Bay ramp all the way to the Old Woman towing a squid skirt at 4.5kt close in to all the rocky bits.

Took a 40 cm Kahawai off Peach Cove, but the main interest in the trip was a seal about 1.5m long doing barrel rolls and flipper lifts in one place just off the W point of Peach Cove. It wasn't going anywhere, and looked at me briefly then completely ignored me and kept rolling while I backed the boat to within 3m of it.

I got onto a school of decent Kahawai off the Old Woman, had a petrel snip off the squid skirt neatly and took another four nice Kahawai on the trusty standby Smiths Jig. Home at 13.7kts according to the GPS, processed the five fish and drove to Auckland.

Kahawai 52, 52, 51, 50, 40. Early females and indeterminate.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #920 - May 21st, 2018 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
Sounds like a very pleasant few hours.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #921 - May 21st, 2018 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
Smoked kahawai in fish pie, yum.

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #922 - May 24th, 2018 at 8:53am
Print Post  
Salmoner wrote on May 21st, 2018 at 4:26pm:
Smoked kahawai in fish pie, yum.

That certainly goes well, but if you kill them very quickly and put them on ice straight away, they not only make amazing sashimi, but they are also very very very good fried for somewhere round the next 18 hours before I can detect any deterioration in taste or texture.

Repeated the "pootle" on Friday 18th for a single little Kahawai. Bloody Smiths Jig kinks very badly indeed, even with a good swivel. I'll have to find some more Sea Harvester squid lures.

KY 37

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #923 - Oct 6th, 2018 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
Hawaii, Niue, and Coral sea expeditions to dive while I still can have meant no fishing at all over the winter. I had my trailer repaired and regalvanised, and eventually had a mint afternoon coincide with a lull in the work I got behind with when I went off "bucketlisting".
So I took the dory into the main shipping channel and softbaited without either great enthusiasm or any result whatsoever for about twenty minutes, before seeing a guy at anchor just on the edge of Mair Bank boat a snapper that looked about 10lbs.
So I anchored up in 15m alongside the bank just out of the shipping channel and tossed a bit of squid on well weighted med gear out the back. Then I had beanbag time in the afternoon sun, disturbed only by the various comings and goings in the shipping channel. After a little over an hour, I netted a nice pannie and sice Ellen is away, one is plenty and I came home.

Snapper 45 female rapidly ripening.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #924 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the report Dav. Sounds very relaxing.. congratulations on getting all that diving  done. Sounds FANTASTIC.

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #925 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 10:11am
Print Post  
(Short rave)

Osprey Reef is 150nm offshore from Oz, N of New Caledonia in the Coral Sea. It is 10nm long and 1nm wide. The top is 1-3m below the surface and a maze of guts and gullies to 8m deep.
The edge is sheer to 1000m. Visibility is unmeasurable but lots!

Imagine drifting along the coral wall at 100ft with about a knot of tide. Cruising along looking at the gorgonian and hydroid fans and the reef fish, with the black abyss below, while keeping one eye out for the big predators cruising past in the blue!!

(Short rave over so back to reality)

Fuel problems with the dory, but another mint evening on Monday, so I rowed my dinghy out to the W point of McKenzie Bay to fish the last hour of the flood in 6m with berley and squid on med gear (since my light gear is in dire need of some countenance or replacement (we shall see).  Bait in the water at 6.15. Nothing until 7pm, when a good hit pulled string and I was briefly happy I was on the heavier gear. My happiness was short lived. The med gear needs maintenace or replacement too, and as soon as some strain came on the JW eggbeater, it started to sound really bad. So I pumped and wound very carefully, and eventually brought a nice pannie to the net. And forgot that I have to look after my rt knee or it dislocates and hurts and is bloody hard to put back in in a small dinghy. So I came home.
Hauling the dinghy back up the beach was harder than I had expected and my knee was bloody sore all night. My days of dinghy fishing might be nearly over. A shame - but I have had a very good run out of my body, considering that I have treated it quite roughly over the years.

Snapper 45 female  ripening.

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #926 - Oct 16th, 2018 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
Dory fuel problem fixed, and we really wanted fish for a guest arriving tonight, so I planned to go to sea yesterday, since it was a mint day.
If I'd had my druthers, I would have launched early evening and fished the last hour of the ebb and the first couple of the flood in the inner channel, expecting to catch pannies both sides of the slack.

But then I remembered an evening commitment, so it was launch at 2 and back on the beach at 5.30. I actively softbaited the shipping channel on a drift out with the ebb and across with the light NW over and over for three and a half bloody hours, dragging a couple of biggish squid  baits on med gear as well. The squid never got touched, but 4 Gulp "Squid Vicious" thingies got repeatedly monstered and I kept thinking I would hookup next time. From the  size of the bitemarks, the snapper involved were 40cm plus. A limetiger shad elicited no interest whatsoever - but it is a bit stiff without a lot of wobbly action.

So home with a wetarse (well a squidjuicy one anyway) and no fish.

So up at sparrowfart this morning to fish the first of the flood in the inner channel at dawn (well 6.30 by the time I got a bait in the water). I anchored up in 6m and found the berley was well and truly frozen in crinkles and folds into a heavy plastic bag, and since I was going to catch a feed for three and go home I just contented myself with a few handfulls of squid trimmings into the tide. So it was just like yesterday, except at anchor and much shallower. Med gear with biggish squid baits, and softbaiting squid vicious.

Yesterday I kept thinking I was missing hits through not being in touch with the jig cos of the depth. I was going to gettem this morning. But they monstered another four softbaits, and never a hookup. Again, the toothmarks indicated I was missing some respectable fish.

By 7.30 I was starting to get worried. Then the med gear went off and I gingerly netted a big Kahawai. Fish problem solved! - But it was such a nice morning and I was so pissed off with whatever was chomping my softbait that I decided to keep trying.

But trying different. What I really needed was light gear and a relatively small bait floating back down tide where the berley trail would have been but for...  So off with the trace and ball sinkers, and an 8/0 mutsu and a smallish strip of squid directly on the main line - drifted slack with the tide - and bang! A keeper! Bang! too small!  - and then nothing  - so at 7.45 I came home.

Snapper 30 female well developed gonad
Kahawai 54 indeterminate.

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #927 - Oct 17th, 2018 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
I love reading your reports, thank you for posting them  Cool.

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #928 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 9:42am
Print Post  
Rumour has it that Bill Hohepa (really called Wayne Wills) made up his fishing calendar.  Saturday was suppose to be bad. It was.

Two hours in the dory with dusk falling and the ebb starting to run strongly in the inner channel at Urquharts Bay provided nothing but frustration. Lotsa burley, squid on a mixture of gear, and much cursing produced precisely nothing. Ellen and I fed small snapper until we got fed up and came home just after dark dark.  A mint evening on the water, but poached eggs for a very late tea.

At least no messy fish to clean.

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #929 - Nov 3rd, 2018 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
And a fortnight later last night - same same same except at the Power Station with a mate, fishing the last two hours of the ebb over bitetime at dusk. Fed small snapper for two hours and then not even bites as the tide slackened.

No messy fish to clean.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards