Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Re: Whangarei Heads (Read 145289 times)
luvinit

I Love The bush

Re: Whangarei Heads
Reply #900 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 7:19am
Print Post  
was off the power station bouys yesterday 3pm -730 for two throws backs and then drifted back towards entrance and managed one b4 we pulled the plug at 9. water was 21 but no fish. Sad

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

NOT Training for SAS Selection

Reply #901 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 7:48am
Print Post  
My son and his fiancee have been spearing fish (boarfish bloody amazing eating), so I havent been out, but a guy on the ramp last night had got a limit of big fish (40cm - 8lb) on top of Mair Bank on the flood in the late afternoon with softbaits.

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #902 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 10:52am
Print Post  
Bucket list dive!

Have been wanting to dive Bream Rock for nearly forty years, but have always been too chicken (or smart) to do it without a boatman/person or the sounder has been temperamental or.......

Anyway - I had a chance to get out there with my son and fiancee and get in and drop over the edge while they shot KY and trevs to satisfy our lust for sashimi.

Vis was 20m+ right down to the thermocline at 28m, but it was dirty below that to the bottom at about 35m. Lovely dive. Kina barrens and patches of kelp on the top, and lotsa sponges and hydroid trees below 20m where the weed finally gave out. 

Sweep and Demoiselles spawning and more Red Moki than I have ever seen anywhere. Usually if you see Red Moki in the open there  will be a cave or overhang somewhere nearby, but no caves and bugger all cracks so I didn't see even a little cray. Did see a yellow moray easily more than a metre, and I can't remember when I last saw one that big.

I quit with 80bar left with the idea of picking up a cray on the way home at #7 buoy, but even with a good sounder, we couldn't find the rock and by then tide was ripping through, so we would have needed to drop the pick right on it so I could hand over hand down the warp. 

Besides - by then I had also spent about three hours being boatman while the spearos slaughtered Kingi, Snapper and Boarfish around Bream Head and Guano, so I was starting to feel my age a bit.

The rock at #7 Buoy can wait for another day.

IP Logged

Ackley

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #903 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Sounds like good fun. Good to have a bit of young blood around to keep you adventurous Wink

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #904 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
Me and Ellen took my Dory to peach Cove for a short and dirty SCUBA for a look around.
Towed a squid skirt most of the way there and picked up some small KY before being broken off by something humungous which did its best to pull me overboard (since I had the lure line wrapped round my arm a couple of times as I held the tiller. Exciting! Probably a kingi since we were just off Busby Head.

Vis at Peach Cove was crap (<6m), but there were lotsa small baitfish and a JD stalking them. Lotsa weedy fish and good weed and crevice fauna and another big congregation of red moki with no cavern nearby. Must be a spawning phenomenon.

KY 38, 32, 31  Sashimi tonight!

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #905 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
Your still scuba diving.. good show.  Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #906 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
Yup, and took a charter with Yukon Dive out to the Poor Knights yesterday with Ellen. Neat dive in the garden and Wall, but most impressive was the big school of Bluefish that was hanging round. Haven't seen a bluefish since the last one I shot at C Brett in 1980. Stoked that they are coming back into the reserve.

I had a good day, but neither of us felt like a second dive, even tho we had planned to do two.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards