Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Re: Whangarei Heads (Read 141237 times)
davflaws
Donor Member

NOT Training for SAS Selection

Re: Whangarei Heads
Reply #870 - May 4th, 2017 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
Dory to the powerstation last night for the last of the ebb in 8m. Fished from 5.30 through to 7.30. Squid, fresh jacks, lotsa berley and a variety of gear. Fed small snapper all night but put a couple in the bin.

Snapper 39, 30 Indeterminate.

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #871 - May 23rd, 2017 at 10:33am
Print Post  
Skunked yesterday afternoon at the oilwharf  dolphins,  and later at Castle Rock. Fished from 3.30 til 5pm on a rising tide.

Squid, salted bonito and softbaits all untouched despite berley and lotsa attention to presentation.

Big boilup (looked like big KY from the size of the splashes) on the N side of the harbour, but by the time I got there they had moved up with the tide to be safely inside the Marine Reserve. Bugger!

Mint day nevertheless.

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #872 - May 25th, 2017 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
Another mint day but skunked again!

Launched at 3pm and trolled a Smiths Jig along the shoreline all the way from the Frenchman to  Guano Is, stopping only to bomb a couple of rafts of petrels with a softbait. No result.
Tried to find Bream Rock, but my Elite 7 Chirp threw a hissy fit and stuck itself on 2.3M no matter what I did. Bloody thing is fine up to 6kt, and sometimes to 13kt (which is tops for my dory) - and sometimes not. Once it is not, it seems to get temperamental.

So I came back to 3 Mile reef and trolled and bombed a big workup without any joy whatsoever, so set up a drift with softbait and squid in towards the Powerstation. Beanbag, coffee, crackers and Hummus time. No hits.

Shortly after dark I did a drift up over the top of Mair Bank and up the shipping channel dragging squid and actively softbaiting. No joy

Then back to the ramp, and because the tide was dropping and there was no wind, I just beached the dory without bothering to put an anchor ashore while I went to get the trailer. And the wash from something in the shipping channel a mile away washed the dory a wee way out so I had to wade for it. Bugger.

Then I backed the trailer into the gate. Shit.

Wet arse and no fish!

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #873 - Jun 6th, 2017 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
And another skunking! I went out in the Dory with Ellen on Saturday night an hour before dusk. Ebbing tide. Lotsa burley, light and med gear.

Fished the oil wharf dolphins for an hour, then the log wharf for another hour,  softbaiting assiduously while Ellen  used smellies About half an hour after dark we upped anchor  and then drifted squid and salted bonito in the shipping channel all the way from the log wharf  to Home Point.

Three hours with baits in the water and not even a single hit. Bummer aye!

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #874 - Jun 6th, 2017 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
Beats working though  Wink

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #875 - Jun 10th, 2017 at 8:06am
Print Post  
"Beats working though   Wink

Sure does, and that is what I kept reminding myself of most of yesterday afternoon. Another mint day.

Launched about 1.30, and since I haven't been able to catch a trev or a snapper (or anything else actually) for the whole of May, I thought I would go over to the Waipu River mouth and try for some KY. No joy.

This has been the best May weatherwise I can remember (and my brain still works as well as ever even if nothing else does), but it has been shit fishing.

The sounder was behaving well, so I found a lump of foul in 15m without too much trouble and berleyed it for a couple of hours without a single hit. 

About 5pm I started home, intending to cut my losses and report another skunking,  but the setting sun lit up the Powerstation buoys, so I thought I'd just take a wee detour and locate the reef exactly on GPS.

It was almost where it was supposed to be, so I anchored and started to deploy the last of the  berley. No fool like an old fool! Frozen berley sticks to the plastic bag which contains it. You can dunk it before you secure the onion bag. A thawed berley sausage slips out like an old mans dick and (unlike the dick) drifts off downtide if it is not attached. Bugger! 

So no burley. I cast out a couple of bits of squid on heavy gear, and thought I'd give it half an hour til dusk. A couple of other boats arrived and anchored handy.

They got no action (except for gulls and petrels). I got 4 very good fish in just over half an hour, and with enuff in the bin for family and friends, quit before the fish did.

Home over a "wine dark sea" with the full moon rising over the Hen, and cleaned up and fed (Snapper and roasted Cauliflower - washed down with Chardonnay), by half eight. Then lay round farting and belching, and watched 7Days with Ellen huffing at all the sexist jokes.

Life has improved.

Snapper 57, 48, 42, 37. All indeterminate.

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #876 - Jun 10th, 2017 at 8:14am
Print Post  
davflaws wrote on Jun 10th, 2017 at 8:06am:
"Beats working though   Wink

Sure does, and that is what I kept reminding myself of most of yesterday afternoon. Another mint day.

Launched about 1.30, and since I haven't been able to catch a trev or a snapper (or anything else actually) for the whole of May, I thought I would go over to the Waipu River mouth and try for some KY. No joy.

This has been the best May weatherwise I can remember (and my brain still works as well as ever even if nothing else does), but it has been shit fishing.

The sounder was behaving well, so I found a lump of foul in 15m without too much trouble and berleyed it for a couple of hours without a single hit. 

About 5pm I started home, intending to cut my losses and report another skunking,  but the setting sun lit up the Powerstation buoys, so I thought I'd just take a wee detour and locate the reef exactly on GPS.

It was almost where it was supposed to be, so I anchored and started to deploy the last of the  berley. No fool like an old fool! Frozen berley sticks to the plastic bag which contains it. You can dunk it before you secure the onion bag. A thawed berley sausage slips out like an old mans dick and (unlike the dick) drifts off downtide if it is not attached. Bugger! 

So no burley. I cast out a couple of bits of squid on heavy gear, and thought I'd give it half an hour til dusk. A couple of other boats arrived and anchored handy.

They got no action (except for gulls and petrels). I got 4 very good fish in just over half an hour, and with enuff in the bin for family and friends, quit before the fish did.

Home over a "wine dark sea" with the full moon rising over the Hen, and cleaned up and fed (Snapper and roasted Cauliflower - washed down with Chardonnay), by half eight. Then lay round farting and belching, and watched 7Days with Ellen huffing at all the sexist jokes.

Life has improved.

Snapper 57, 48, 42, 37. All indeterminate.

Cool Cool   Grin

IP Logged

Ackley

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #877 - Jun 12th, 2017 at 12:05am
Print Post  
nothing like a successful outing to improve life Wink Wink

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #878 - Jun 19th, 2017 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
Ellen and I were hanging out for some "watertime" together, so without much hope of a fish in the middle of the day, we launched the dory at 3pm with the idea of a pootle along the shore from the Frenchman to Peach Cove trolling for some KY.

And I have no idea why we changed our minds and headed for the powerstation, but by 3.30 we were berleying and it was slow - even occasionally feeding small snapper in 10m on the sand by the artificial reef. Ebbing tide, frozen squid, med heavy gear. So we threw five or six back before it started to get darkish at 5.15, and then things got very quiet for 15 min or so.

Right on dark dark I had a hit from our prime eating species almost as soon as a very lightly weighted bait hit the water. A biggish trev mouthed me softly then took off like a freighttrain before  dropping off. Bugger!

I thought that was it for the day, but between 5.30 and 5.40, I boated two beauty snapper. Bang on one rod and then while I was admiring the fish in the net, the second rod went off too.

Home, cleaned up, and in the spa pool by 7pm .

Snapper 55, 46, both female but very immature.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #879 - Jun 22nd, 2017 at 11:33am
Print Post  
Life is good dav.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

TJ
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Reply #880 - Jun 23rd, 2017 at 10:27am
Print Post  
55 cms is a bloody good fish Dav

IP Logged

luvinit

I Love The bush

Reply #881 - Aug 21st, 2017 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
davflaws wrote on May 4th, 2017 at 10:46pm:
Dory to the powerstation last night for the last of the ebb in 8m. Fished from 5.30 through to 7.30. Squid, fresh jacks, lotsa berley and a variety of gear. Fed small snapper all night but put a couple in the bin.

Snapper 39, 30 Indeterminate.

i have an invite out on the briney tomorrow but a late start around 9 so will report tomorrow hopefully all going good! marsden cove launch but to where? im not the driver Smiley

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #882 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 6:29am
Print Post  
May to October and no fishing - Sheesh! must be getting old!
Mind you - we did go diving in Fiji.

Anyway, my Daughter is up from AK and we got out last night. We were intending to go over to the Powerstation, but we were given half a binful by a longliner.

All ripening nicely. Females a little ahead of males. No difference in maturity over the size range 30-55cm

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #883 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 6:36am
Print Post  
That should be June.

IP Logged

Beaker
Forum Font

very happy with my life

Reply #884 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Nice to see you still fishing Dave its been a hard year for me sucked back into work mode. Have got out a couple of times lately though and while slowish in close the gulf is producing some really nice good sized snapper. I have a feeling its going to be a very productive year. Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards