Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Re: Whangarei Heads (Read 125737 times)
Beaker
Forum Font

very happy with my life

Re: Whangarei Heads
Reply #855 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
davflaws wrote on Dec 17th, 2016 at 5:19am:
Summer Breeze would be the perfect setup for a couple of grandkids at that age. I'm about to start a couple of kids from the dory, and fankys are certainly more attractive than spending an hour baiting and rebaiting. Roll on the anticyclone!

Yup,currently working every hour possible but looking out at some awesome weather and hoping for some of the same when I go for my 1 week cruise from the 28th.

IP Logged

luvinit

I Love The bush

Reply #856 - Dec 23rd, 2016 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
Looked a bit ugly in the harbour today but I was working so never mind haha soon I hope to be out. Wink

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

NOT Training for SAS Selection

Reply #857 - Dec 23rd, 2016 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
luvinit wrote on Dec 23rd, 2016 at 9:41pm:
Looked a bit ugly in the harbour today but I was working so never mind haha soon I hope to be out. Wink

The sort of day that you shrug and go to sea if you have to, but otherwise you stay dry and comfortably ashore.

I thought about a scallop dive, but saved it till the wind drops. Perhaps tomorrow!

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #858 - Dec 30th, 2016 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
I've had lotsa shit with hips n knees lately, but after a trip to a new osteopath I feel like a new (old) man. So Thurs nite I went with a mate to the Powerstation in the dory. We fished the last hour and a half of the flood and the first hour of the ebb. Change of light perfect. Berley for Africa. Ryan all set up with balloons and livebait gear for a kingi as soon as he could catch a jack.

So we fed  frozen squid to small snapper and eventually put one in the bin after a careful measure. The jacks turned up in the berley right on dark, but there was no way they were taking the jackline. Eventually we decided that it was all over in relation to a kingi or a JD, but that the ebbing tide on the edge of Mair Bank would at least give us a chance of a decent snapper on our way back to Urquharts Bay ramp. Naahh.

Home in a following sea in the dark. Me with my feet up, and Ryan sweating slightly as one or two heaped under the quarter and he struggled to hold the dory on course.

Snapper 30

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #859 - Jan 16th, 2017 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
Dory with Ellen to the shipping channel softbaiting and drifting squid for an hour on Sunday nite. Then to the inner channel between Calliope Is and Urquarts Bay wharf for another hour. Fished until dark dark with burley, softbaits and squid on a mixture of light and medium gear.

Fed and released small snapper for the whole two hours but put nothing in the bin.

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #860 - Feb 1st, 2017 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
Dory with a mate last night to fish the rising tide on the top of Mair Bank in 2m. Fished the last two hours of the flood with light gear, frozen squid, salted bonito, and Berley for Africa. Nothing until dark at nine and then busy  til it slackened with the  tide and the bite stopped about ten fifteen. I came back to one rod so I could pay full attention. We took 6 good snapper and threw one back. Ryan lost a couple at the boat when he grabbed mainline rather than trace and "snap" curse curse. A pity, cos both of them would have been over 50cm.
A mint evening, with Marsden Point Disneyland providing enuff light so we only needed torches for untangling and retying traces. Exciting when the wash and bowwave from a 30,000 ton tanker at about 12 kts passing 70 m away hit the bank we were fishing on top of. The waves started to heap up and fall all over themselves, and for a wee while it was just like Cook Strait (only warmer). 

Snapper 40, 39, 33, 33, 32, 31. 3 relatively ripe males, two well regressed females and one indeterminate.

IP Logged

Nick-D
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #861 - Feb 6th, 2017 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
We were out there last night, tide was ripping through, no luck on the fishing but managed a good feed of scollies

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #862 - Feb 7th, 2017 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
Sunday nite took the Dory with family to fish the ebb and then the first hour of the flood on the top of Mair Bank in 2m. Light gear, frozen squid, and Berley for Africa. Small snapper all night with a couple just legal and a good fish half an hour before dark. Busy  til the
tide slackened and more little snapper as it started to flood strongly.

Snapper 44 female moderately developed, 30, 30, 30, 30, all indeterminate.

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #863 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
Belated report from Sat 18th. fished the top of Mair Bank in 2m in the dark with berley, squid, and salted skipjack on a mixture of light and heavy gear.
An hours fishing produced 4 all well over the limit, and we went home before the fish stopped biting. Lotsa tide running, so no difference between the light and the heavy gear as far as success went.
Snapper 45, 36, 32, 32. All indeterminate.

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #864 - Mar 24th, 2017 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
More than a month since I have been fishing - lotsa diving for scallops, and didn't (unusually) see even little snapper on the scallop beds in the inner channel.
The whanau have been hanging out for fresh fish so took the dory and a mate to the Power Station last night to fish the middle third of the ebb in the evening. Berley for Africa, but the bait turned out to be more berley, and we were reduced to cutting up the first snapper for bait. A fillet from a barely legal snapper doesn't need scaling and produces 5 big baits or about 8 small ones.
It worked!
An hour and a half produced a nice fish, a very nice fish, a very very nice fish and then a bloody humungous fish which took shitloads of 15kg line with the  drag as tight as we dared before going under the boat and breaking Ryan off.

Snapper 30 (??), 34, 44, 50.

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #865 - Mar 31st, 2017 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
The last trip to thePowerstation was productive, so took a neighbour over last night for an evening fish. First bait in the water at 7pm and quit just after 8pm By the time we got into position the flood tide was running N and taking our berley onto the end of the reef.
Heavy gear baited with frozen squid went over first, and we were busy with small snapper from the get go. Barely time to set up the berley before we threw the first one back, and after about 10mins took one for the bin. Then a good hit and after some string pulling was bitten/broken off  as I attempted to trace a snapper of about 45cm into the boat. Bugger!

Attached another hook and rebaited and very soon after had another substantial hit. Learned my lesson and had Bron hold the net as I manouevered a very nice fish into it.

And another big squid bait produced the best fish of the night after about ten minutes of string pulling and lotsa pump and wind. This one  broke the net as we boated it.

We realised we had tons of fish for the whanau, so quit and went home.

Snapper 59, 55, 30, 30 All indeterminate.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #866 - Mar 31st, 2017 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
nice.  Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #867 - Apr 12th, 2017 at 4:45am
Print Post  
Made it home earlier than expected on Monday so thought I'd catch something for tea. Tide perfect (well nearly) so rowed off the beach to the W point of McKenzie Bay to fish in 6m for the last hour of the flood and the first few mins of the ebb. Salted skipjack and frozen squid. Berley. First bait in the water at 6.05 and quit when bait ran out at 7.15.

Fed small snapper for a while and binned a couple. Started to lose baits to squid and briefly regretted that my squid jig was in my big tacklebox in the dory. Then I thought of the ink and the mess and decided that the frustration of losing bait to the bastards was (just) preferable.

We put our very old cat down a few weeks ago -he  lived well and died well. I was cleaning the fish and found myself turning to drop trimmings as usual - but instead of being under my feet, he was (and is) over behind the vege garden. First time I have really missed him.

Snapper 34, 30 indeterminate.

IP Logged

luvinit

I Love The bush

Reply #868 - Apr 12th, 2017 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the report and sad about the cat but like them or not,you get used to them being around.

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #869 - Apr 29th, 2017 at 7:51am
Print Post  
Woken in the night by chest pain on ANZAC evening, so off to hospital for a whole lotta tests. Released on Wed afternoon minus most of my chest hair (much pain) but with an assurance that my heart was ok and that I have a normal life expectancy.

So went to sea Thursday. After some quick consultations with my neighbour, decided to fill my boots with skippies and hoped fro an albacore or two.

So I trolled along the 60m contour a couple of miles off Ocean Beach for an hour, then out round the Chicks and back to the powerstation for the last of the flood at about 5pm. Didn't see a tuna.

Berleyed up at the powerstation on the inside end of the reef for half an hour without any interest in my frozen squid  even from small snapper, and then shifted to my usual possie on the seaward end of the reef.

I was rewarded immediately with a nice snapper and an even nicer trev , and as it got dark, the jacks arrived and I changed to fresh jack.

A couple more keepers, and that was enough for friends and whanau, so home over a wine dark sea and all cleaned up by 8.30. Seven hours at sea and I was buggered, but it was lots better than hospital, I tell ya! Sashimi trev tonight till we couldn't eat any more and lay round farting and belching.

Snapper 44, 34, 30.
Trevally 49.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards