Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 64 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Re: Whangarei Heads (Read 202530 times)
cb
Ex Member

Re: Whangarei Heads
Reply #30 - Jan 29th, 2008 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
yeah mate, pretty heavy but nice and long for off the rocks. i love it when it's under pressure.

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

NOT Training for SAS Selection

Reply #31 - Jan 29th, 2008 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
You look like you were having fun! - there seem to be lotsa Bronzies about at this time every year.  Do they come inshore to pup or something?

IP Logged

cb
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Jan 30th, 2008 at 8:07am
Print Post  
supposedly they come in to breed but the only shark eggs i've ever seen have all been out at the gap. certainly plenty to eat in the harbour thru the summer. i'm off down the line after deer this morning so they're safe from me for a wee while.

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #33 - Jan 30th, 2008 at 11:20am
Print Post  
Good luck - I'll try to leave some fish for you!

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #34 - Jan 30th, 2008 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
And I was successful in leaving plenty for Luke in the inner channel tonite.  Fished for an hour and a half from 8.30.  First few hours of the flood.  I'm starting to wonder about tide again.  Two nights ago it was relatively quiet until just on dusk and then a lively bite until an hour after dark.  Tonite, fishing was lively with 45mins light left and went dead as dusk fell.  After dark even the fresh bleeding front end of a small jack wasn't touched.  Light gear, berley, salted squid (popular) frozen sprats (so so) and later fresh jack (very popular up til dark)  Pannies 30, 32cm both immature.  Put 4 marginal snapper back. Piper still won't touch the sabikis.

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #35 - Feb 1st, 2008 at 12:31am
Print Post  
I guess I'm taking the "Fishing Reports bit in the forum title seriously.  This thread is becoming an on line fishing diary for me - that means I really have to report every time if the record is to have any value.  I tried to keep a fishing diary ten or fifteen years ago, when I was setting a longline on the sand in Wooleys Bay once or twice most weeks.  Started with a hiss and a roar - database, water temp, bait, length sex  - blah de blah every time I went out - but I soon got slack and it fell away and this time WILL be different!.
Out tonite in the inner channel.  I have been looking forward to a fish all day and planned to get oput a little earlier than last night.  Fished from about 8.15pm for half an hour of the outgoing tide over low water at about 8.45 and for the first half hour of the flood  Dark by 9.15  - by dark I mean get out the headlight to use pliers to unhook a fish or see why a cast landed 10m away rather than 50 - not that it made any difference in the short term -= the tide took the lightly weighted baits well away as they sank, but if a cast was a short one when I was trying to go well away back to the strike zone in the berley trail - that meant the bloody braid had wrapped itself round something and it was always good to find out what before a fish charged off with the  bait.
There was lots charging off tonite.  I always get a bait in the water as soon as I anchor, then another, then attend ot the berley, then to adding seawater to the 3 frozen litre milkbottles in the chilly bin,  then to some sabikis and then wait.  Except that sometimes there isn't a wait.  I started with salted squid and frozen jack filets, and the first few fish were taken on that,  then frozen sprat, then the sabikis produced some jacks and eventually a piper.  I shagged around for all of ten seconds, left the piper on sabikis, and started to set up the kingi gear.  An at that point it all went pretty silly and quite exciting.  The light gear got very busy and the piper got left just below the surface and got pretty unhappy before I thought of it again.  But the snapper got bigger and started to bite freely as it got darker. At that stage they were biting on anything.  I should have tried the Atomic Chartreuse tthat I have never had a hit on.
9 came home 38, 37, 35, 35,34, 31,31, 30, 30, 30, and five legal fish didn't. None sexually mature and for most I couldnt even tell the sex without avery close look.  But there were 3 males that were ripening and I coulld sex them as I took the first fillet off.

IP Logged

cb
Ex Member

Reply #36 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 7:20am
Print Post  
damn, some good fishing then mate. my suspension has failed on the trailer so i must say i'm jealous.

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #37 - Feb 5th, 2008 at 12:28am
Print Post  
Got out with my 6 yr old grandson last night and tonite.  Inner channel inside Calliope Is for the last 30 mins of light and the first 30 min of dusk 'n dark.  Light gear in  6m,  with berley and fresh and frozen jacks, salted and frozen squid, and even the odd chunk of salted mullet.  Ebbing tide both nights.

Last night pannies 39, 37, 35, 35, 32, 31, 28, 27(gut hooked) and another four went back.  The 4 big(gest) fish were all male and seemed to be starting to ripen again.

Tonite we quit early with pannies 38, 31, 28, 28 (both guthooked) and another three went back.  The 38 was a ripening male. The others were all thoroughly spent.

I got the impression (again) that the bigger fish don't really come on untill twilight/dusk, but when they do they bite boldly and freely.  I always use circle hooks and leave the rods in the holders while I tweak the berley bag, tend to the sabikis, check the livie under a balloon or on the bottom, and generally goof off and enjoy the evening while I wait for the pannies to hook themselves.

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #38 - Feb 9th, 2008 at 12:20am
Print Post  
Out tonite in the inner channel with Ellen and a guest in the dory.  7.45-9.15 in the inner channel inside Calliope Is in 6m  Berley, frozen and fresh jacks, some frozen squid, and the ubiquitous salted mullet  A new salty Dog bomb in the onion bag on the surface.  There wasn't much wind, but it was holding us on the pick so the flooding tide came through from the port quarter.  Richard and I were fishing light gear, and Ellen was handlining much heavier nylon.  It did make a difference, even though our terminal gear was similar.  When the bite was hot in the gathering dusk and the last of the tide, I think she caught just as many fish as we did.  At other times, we were often catching fish or replacing baits steadily while she was doing a freeze. 

Richard got the fish of the night.  He used to be a Paua Diver in Cook Strait but he hasn't really fished for more han 50 yrs = since the days of cotton codline with a metre of monofilament nylon for trace.  He was very interested in Ellen's gear because he had never seen anyone use a nylon line for a handline.  I set him up with the $15 telescopic  rod I have gooped up so that it no longer telescopes, but works really well with a little Shimano ($25 on special) with some 2.5 kg braid.  I am running a bit short on the  special hooks from Pauls Fishing Kites so it was armed with a 6/0 mutsu with about a quarter of a medium jack on it
The hit was bold and positive when it came, and the reel was screaming and I was very pleased that I had undershotted the braid with 70m more 25kg monofilament last week.  As the fight proceeded it became clear that the drag wasn't right, and the fish was taking line long before the rod was fully flexed.  I kept reminding Richard to keep the rod tip up and not to wind when the ratchet was screaming, Ellen was telling him to stop winding so she could reach round to adjust the (rear mounted) drag adjustment.  Richard was telling us both that the fish was "nothing much", and a good time was being had by all.
When Ellen eventually worked out how to tighten the drag, things briefly got quite interesting.  The fish "woke up" and took lotsa line with the rod in full flexion.  One run did it though, and it came to the boat  very quietly.    I was pleased that the drag hadnt been properly tight to begin with, becausae as it came aboard, the 15 kg flurocarbon trace parted (bitten through).  Richard was very pleased with a 40cm pannie.
We brought home 16 pannies from 40cm to 28 cm (guthooked), and put another four legal fish and one undersized back.  All the bigger fish were spent or immature.  Three ripening males 30 31, 31cm.

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #39 - Feb 11th, 2008 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
I got out in the inner channel last night from 8pm to 9.15 with a couple of guests.  Half flood.  Light gear, berley, salted and fresh jack and a nuclear chicken.  Lotsa just legal fish biting freely, and it wasn't until I put on a nuclear chicken that we boated a 35 and a 36.  That was after dusk.  Brought home 6 from 36-28cm.  None mature.
Even the jacks were nibbling at the nuclear chicken in the berley.  Little snapper bite the tails off, but bigger fish strike even with a mangled and tailless lure.

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #40 - Feb 14th, 2008 at 12:03am
Print Post  
Out at 6pm for a bit of an explore, so drifted and dragged heavy gear with some newly ourchased salt mackerel down the Mair bank side of the shipping channel while I fished a nuclear chicken on braid. Last hour of the ebb. Lost baits steadily on the heavy gear, but no hits on either rod.  So came back to the usual spot in the inner channel about 7.45 to fish the first hour and a half of the flood.  Started to berley - kept fishing the softbait but also put out some frozen jack on light gear. Got picked to death for an hour -constant hits on both the softbait and the cutbait, but only hooked up on the cutbait and threw about five back.  Sabikis produced jacks as usual and a piper.  Then just before dark I broke the leader casting and lost the jighead and the last chicken.  Bugger! while I was thinking about what to do next, nice pannies started biting freely on the cut bait rod loaded with big baits of fresh jack and piper, frozen jack and salt mackerel (in fact anything).  The bite lasted til about half an hour after  dark.   I brought home 35, 35, 34, 31 30.  All spent and of indeterminate sex.
Some snapper have thick creamy opaque flesh - others have thinner translucent, watery flesh.  Why?

IP Logged

cb
Ex Member

Reply #41 - Feb 14th, 2008 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
no idea ole chap, i was at hm pt off the rocks last night, just after kings. saw around 20 or so. couldn't catch good livies to save myself sadly and they weren't interested in the popper either. saw another reasonably big bronzy. missus caught quite a few snaps but nothin of any size.

IP Logged

DUCKSLAYER
Forum Font

Reply #42 - Feb 14th, 2008 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
davflaws wrote on Feb 14th, 2008 at 12:03am:
Out at 6pm for a bit of an explore, so drifted and dragged heavy gear with some newly ourchased salt mackerel down the Mair bank side of the shipping channel while I fished a nuclear chicken on braid. Last hour of the ebb. Lost baits steadily on the heavy gear, but no hits on either rod.  So came back to the usual spot in the inner channel about 7.45 to fish the first hour and a half of the flood.  Started to berley - kept fishing the softbait but also put out some frozen jack on light gear. Got picked to death for an hour -constant hits on both the softbait and the cutbait, but only hooked up on the cutbait and threw about five back.  Sabikis produced jacks as usual and a piper.  Then just before dark I broke the leader casting and lost the jighead and the last chicken.  Bugger! while I was thinking about what to do next, nice pannies started biting freely on the cut bait rod loaded with big baits of fresh jack and piper, frozen jack and salt mackerel (in fact anything).  The bite lasted til about half an hour after  dark.   I brought home 35, 35, 34, 31 30.  All spent and of indeterminate sex.
Some snapper have thick creamy opaque flesh - others have thinner translucent, watery flesh.  Why?

why???its because they are so small and are still being breast fed Smiley

IP Logged

crayfish5
Ex Member

Reply #43 - Feb 14th, 2008 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
Been having a lot of fun  on the kingis at the hen and chicks for the last 8 weeks.Havent found any monsters yet 90cm being the average.They have been biteing well usually getting a couple of hours action most times. Smiley

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #44 - Feb 15th, 2008 at 11:14am
Print Post  
Desparate for a fish and having worked really hard yesterday, I set a 5am alarm and fished the inner channel  halfway between the main ramp and Calliope Is.  Little Mr Honda became unwell 20m off the beach and I was too lazy to row to my usual spot against the half ebb and 10kt  SW.   So I fished from 5.40am (it was dark dark) to 7.15am in about 10m  before rowing back down wind and tide with pannies 29 and 37cm on salted jack. The larger fish was an immature female, the other indeterminate. 
Ellen has plans for whole fish, so I scaled and gilled and gutted them. God I hate fish scales.
I am completely free to fish for the next three days, so its a tossup whether I give Mr Honda an internal examination and surgery and keep using the dinghy, or go a bit further afield in the dory. I felt really virtuous when I started rowing the dinghy, but it didn't last!

Since no one can tell me why some snapper have creamy flesh - can some one give me detailed instructions about  where is the best place to put a live jack in to catch a (preferably just) legal kingfish.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 64
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards