Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 60 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Re: Whangarei Heads (Read 140498 times)
MumDadand3kids
Ex Member

Re: Whangarei Heads
Reply #15 - Jan 4th, 2008 at 9:55am
Print Post  
Hi,new to this forum. Got new boat and Me Dad and the 3 kids (aged 3 to 8) are getting out into the harbour. Where can we go to get some pannie snappers to feed our kids and show them that fish come from the sea not the shop? We've launched from Onerahi and One Tree Point (rather posh place that is) but as yet no keepers to be found. We're not greenies. We've fished heaps down Leigh way. Can only fish in the day when the water is smooth (couple of the kids get sea sick). Kids tucked up in bed at night. Any tips much appreciated. I know the best secrets will not be revealed but whens the best fishing time in terms of the tide? And perhaps the  rough area of ya 2nd and 3rd best spots. Only want a feed!!!!! Cheers  Wink

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

NOT Training for SAS Selection

Reply #16 - Jan 5th, 2008 at 7:22am
Print Post  
Here's my ten cents worth.

Launch at Urquarhts Bay.  Head out through the boats and turn Rt before you get to the island (Calliope Island).  You passed Urquharts Wharf as you drove to the ramp. It is about 400m up harbour from the ramp in the inner channel.  Drop your pick so you finish up 150 m out from and slightly seaward (on the ramp side) of the wharf.  You should now be on the very edge of the channel on the Island side of it in 6-7m of water. 

Burley if you can.  Use the lightest gear you have, but big hooks 6/0 or Paul's fishing kites modified hooks will stop you from having little snapper swallow your bait.  Salted Bonito  (yeah Iceman I know theyre skipjack tuna) $20/ bucket  from New World has worked best for me.  Berley and Sabikis will usually catch you jacks.   Change of light works best. 

This is my best spot - it can blow 35kts from E or N and still be fishable.  I can fish it in my dinghy in 25kts SW but it isnt comfortable and I wouldnt take kids out there in anything more than 15 kts SW.  I have caught more fish there than anywhere else.  Summer snapper - trevs and kahawai and kingis at other times.  Look through this thread and the Whangarei Heads thread in "Saltwater Fishing".

Everything I have said above (except the location) is subject to change.  I have been skunked on a rising tide at dusk with berley, bonito and fresh jacks, and I have had a dozen keepers in an hour in the same circumstances.  I have got good feeds at midday on a falling tide (sometimes).  This afternoon I was out there with guests in mid afternoon and one hooked a 45cm snapper on kingi gear about 30sec after she threw a chunk of salted mullet in the tide and before any berley went in.  Then we got nothing for two hours -not even jacks, tho berleying bigtime.  Eventually I opened the emergency supply of squid, and we took another three pannies on the ultra light gear.

Good luck and keep us posted on your adventures

IP Logged

MumDadand3kids
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jan 5th, 2008 at 9:26am
Print Post  
Thanks for that davflaws. We will certainly give this a try though not for at least another week as we are off to Wellington. Most definately will let you know how we get on. Maybe you'll see us out there in our fyran. you'll recognise us by the noise of 3 screaming kids. come and say hello and tell us to bugger off if we are in ya spot. Really enjoy your post and have bookmark for future reference. Love hearing how others get on. Next best thing to being out there since we don't get many opportunities. Cheers Jan.

IP Logged

MumDadand3kids
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jan 5th, 2008 at 9:28am
Print Post  
p.s i think all that information might have been worth more than 10 cents.  Grin

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #19 - Jan 7th, 2008 at 11:29am
Print Post  
It goes to show ya never can tell.  Took some guests desperate to catch a fish out to the inner channel at 5pm tonite to fish the last two hours of the flood.  Wind against tide was unpleasant, and an hour and a  half of berley, and  trying mullet, mackerel and squid (all salted) with light gear produced not a single bite. 

So out to the main channel between the port hand buoys and Mair Bank just on the harbour side of Home Pt for the last of the flood.  Heavy gear, mullet and mackerel, no bites.   

So jigged all the channel markers up harbour  to the reserve and soft baited the oil wharf for an hour.  No hits.

Decided to stop briefly in the inner channel again on the way back to the ramp.  About 8.30pm. First hour of the ebb.  First fish before the berley hit the water, fished for an hour for eight pannies to 33cm and a good JD (livebait).  Once the snapper started to bite they were happy to eat anything

IP Logged

cb
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Jan 7th, 2008 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
were you just off the island dav? you aren't wrong about that wind against tide last night.

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #21 - Jan 8th, 2008 at 12:31am
Print Post  
Hi Luke.  We were in a blue and orange dory, and fished the inner channel a lot closer to Urquharts Wharf than Calliope Is from 5-6.30 and again from about 8 to dark.  My mate Kerry from AK was in a 440 Fyran much closer to the Island and to seaward from about 7-9pm  He took 6 pannies from 30cm to about five pounds.  I know he used to fish braid and softbaits, and he was fishing with braid last night, but I don't know whether he took those fish on softbait.
He reports huge schoos of trevs and hordes of not quite legal kingis about a mile off Taiharuru and big snapper on the foul about 2-3 miles off.

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #22 - Jan 8th, 2008 at 11:05am
Print Post  
Took a guest for a dusk fish in the inner channel tonite - further towards Calliope Is than I usually fish since my mate got good fish there last night (see prev post).  Our limited berley was soon gone, but sabikis produced livies (small Trevs) on the bottom for a dory and under a balloon for a kingi (no luck with either), and we settled down to fish our lightly weighted 2.5kg braid well back in the ebbing tide.  Thirteen pannies from 29 to 38cm in just over two and a half hours. A few smaller went back. They kept biting long after any trace of berley remained.  They also seemed to be biting freely no matter what bait -squid, mackerel, frozen jack, mullet, or nuclear chicken.  The only thing they didn't seem too interested in was the Atomic chatreuse wiggler.  We both got the impression that the fish got bigger as it got dark. No wind, but bloody wet.

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #23 - Jan 17th, 2008 at 10:43am
Print Post  
I havent been out for a week, and have been hanging out for fresh fish so got out tonight  in the inner channel.  No berley to speak of but minced some mackerel from time to time.  Not much action until just on dark then lots. In about an hour and a half boated nine pannnies 32-39cm on a light gear with a variety of baits (mullet, squid, mackerel and jack) and a 40cm trev on a nuclear chicken (the same one used a week ago).  Definite increase in the size of fish and freedom and boldness of the bite as dusk deepened.

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #24 - Jan 22nd, 2008 at 11:26am
Print Post  
Inner Channel in 6m with light gear, berley, mullet, squid, and mackerel.  Fished two rods for the first hour of the ebb until dark. Pannies 28, 29,31, 34cm.  All spent.

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #25 - Jan 27th, 2008 at 4:20am
Print Post  
Ellen fished the Inner channel on Thursday night for an hour from 7pm.  Last of the flood.  She fishes fairly heavy gear and used the last of my salted mackerel but doesn't berley.  One 30cm pannie but was bitten off twice by substantial fish.
We went to the Inner Channel again on Sat nite (two in my dinghy is snug).  We fished in 6m with both light and heavy gear, berley, mullet, and squid (best). Fished for last two hours of the flood and threw three back but came home with Pannies 29, 30, 30, 32 34cm.  All spent, but the 3 males were showing signs of fattening again.
Curiously, the heavy gear was just as successful as the light, although usually light gear outfishes heavy there. The only thing that hit the sabikis (right under the boat)  all night was a 28cm snapper (went back).

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Reply #26 - Jan 28th, 2008 at 10:54am
Print Post  
Inner Channel again tonite in 6m from 8pm to 9.30pm.  Half flood.  Light gear with squid and fresh jacks. Pannies 30, 35, 37cm (all spent) and a couple just under 30 that went back.  Yellow eyed mullet, piper and jacks in the berley, but the sprats and jacks were taking the sabikis while the piper wouldn't.  Broken off by a ray that moved off sedately and just kept going slowly and inexorably seaward.

IP Logged

cb
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Jan 29th, 2008 at 6:39am
Print Post  
howzit dave, was out busby off the rock yesterday arvo. had a couple of real big bronzy at the rocks. a couple of mean fights on 24kg from high on the rocks. the first one would have been an easy 140kg and close on 9ft. sec charge off like a nut case incuding a mean jump clear of the water. i didn't bother with the snaps but the missus and mate caught some little ones. also saw a few kings but after chasing my sad livie around they left it to the the sharks.

shark in against the rocks somewhere

full speed away from me...100mtrs of 24 so the boats were the biggest danger.

IP Logged

DUCKSLAYER
Forum Font

Reply #28 - Jan 29th, 2008 at 6:48am
Print Post  
looks like fun cb very cool Smiley

IP Logged

crayfish5
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Jan 29th, 2008 at 8:40am
Print Post  
You fishing with a jelly tip rod cb

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 60
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards