Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Rifle powder storage. (Read 25861 times)
vorno
Donor Member

Don't blink

Re: Rifle powder storage.
Reply #45 - Aug 4th, 2015 at 4:49am
Print Post  
Ruger260 wrote on Aug 4th, 2015 at 4:36am:
Check The Arms Regulations.

Thanks, I've since tried reading it (linked below). I have not been able to locate any information remotely relevant or useful however.
http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/1992/0346/latest/whole.html

Is that the correct one?

IP Logged

possumtrapper
Forum Senior

Why am i at the computer
when deer live outside?

Reply #46 - Aug 4th, 2015 at 4:51am
Print Post  
Ruger260 wrote on Aug 4th, 2015 at 4:36am:
Check The Arms Regulations.

i did.

nothing on powder or ammunition other than

Conditions relating to security precautions
(1)Every firearms licence shall be subject to the following conditions:
(a)the holder shall not put a firearm in such a place that a young child has ready access to it:
(b)the holder, where he or she has both a firearm and ammunition for it in his or her possession, eitheró
(i)shall take reasonable steps to ensure that the ammunition is not stored in such a way that a person who obtains access to the firearm also obtains access to the ammunition; or
(ii)shall ensure that, where the ammunition is stored with the firearm, the firearm is not capable of being discharged:

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/1992/0346/latest/whole.html#DLM...

only requirements for small arms ammunition and powder under HSNO as stated by EPA (now under worksafe) in 2014 is:
" Small arms ammunitions (safety ammunition) of class 1.4S is only required to be stored under lock and key in a cool, dry place, and must be stored separately from firearms. Smokeless powder of class 1.3C must also be stored under lock and key in a cool, dry place when in quantities below 15 kg (net explosive quantity)."

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #47 - May 20th, 2016 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
When I was a young fella back in the early sixties I got into shooting black powder. I bought that powder from the Sports Depot in Willis St in Wellington. The man would go out the back and after a few minutes would come back out with the loose black in a brown paper bag. I'd take it home, put it into cans and shove it in my ammo locker which I then slid under my bed. At times I'd have up to fifteen pounds under that bed - and every now and then I'd think about all that powder sitting under there and wonder what would happen if it went off.
Now that I'm more sensible, I keep my powder in an upstairs room in my house - and I still wonder what would happen if it went off.
I never knew about the reg's - never occurred to me in all those years to look them up - I'm thinking the garage is a good idea.
And as a side note - I can tell you what it's like when half a pound of home made black goes off - it puts you fifteen feet up into the air and blows your eyeball right out of your head.
Burns all the hair off your face too.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards