Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Rifle powder storage. (Read 25908 times)
totarahunter

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Rifle powder storage.
Reply #30 - Jun 22nd, 2011 at 5:12am
Print Post  
So its possible to have no insurance payout if your house burnt down, even though the powder wasn't the initiator. I do not have a separate dwelling as well. I suppose I could bury it in the garden for safe keeping.

I have Long Range CD.
IP Logged

Carew
Forum Font

Neigh

Reply #31 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 5:57am
Print Post  
Bang on. Same for many things though. Insurance companies will negate your claim at any chance. For example someone that takes the speed limiter out of their engine isn't elligible for insurance if they crash etc. doesn't matter if you were doing 10kph or 500

Laing - Entertaining the masses since way back.

IP Logged

Lewie

Reply #32 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 8:53am
Print Post  
Ask the insurance company, and if they allow it get it in writing and signed with as much information regarding quantities etc I reckon.

With the amount of burglaries that happen in student flats here in Chch, I definitely won't be wanting to keep the powder in a locked shed unless I have to.

IP Logged

younghunter1
Just Joined

Reply #33 - Oct 20th, 2011 at 8:23am
Print Post  
Hi guys
If you copy and paste this link on to your browser it will take you to the police website where you can download a "pdf" version of what you need to know to get your firearms license in New Zealand and it states really clearly that keeping any gun powder used for reloading in a house or any adjoining  building  is ILLEGAL it must be kept in a garden shed or something of the sort. Hope this helps

Taylor  Grin Grin Grin

if it flys it dies if it runs grab ya guns

IP Logged

younghunter1
Just Joined

Reply #34 - Oct 20th, 2011 at 9:07am
Print Post  
Hi to get the link PM because i havnt posted enough to be able to post links to just join it up and it should work

Taylor  Cheesy Grin Cheesy

IP Logged

younghunter1
Just Joined

Reply #35 - Oct 20th, 2011 at 9:08am
Print Post  
Hi to get the link PM because i havnt posted enough to be able to post links

Taylor  Cheesy Grin Cheesy

IP Logged

oneipete
Donor Member

Reply #36 - Nov 1st, 2011 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
Lewie wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 8:53am:
Ask the insurance company, and if they allow it get it in writing and signed with as much information regarding quantities etc I reckon.

With the amount of burglaries that happen in student flats here in Chch, I definitely won't be wanting to keep the powder in a locked shed unless I have to.

You can have a signed letter from every person in the company up to and including the director of the insurance company saying yes you can store it in your house. but if your house burns down and had powder inside then they will simply point to the section of the law that says its illegal and wont pay you out.That signed letter wont much zip in a law case.Not somethign you would really want to put to the test with that amount of money and your families wellbeing at stake is it.  Unless you reload every single night, if you cannot store it at home you surely can find elswhere to store it.Just a bit more of a pain in the ass.

Great things never happen in comfort zones. Great ideas never develop after a few quiet bottles of water..

IP Logged

Distant Stalker
Forum Font

Finem Respice

Reply #37 - Nov 1st, 2011 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
just chuck it in an old unused fridge in a garden shed, keeps temp even so no condensation, realistically who is going to steal powder when there is a lawn mower sitting in front of the old fridge which is ten times easier to sell

IP Logged

itrh

The FishNhunt Forum looks
interesting

Reply #38 - Oct 19th, 2013 at 9:43am
Print Post  
Guys,

You have several pieces of legislation with which to comply.

1)  The HASNO Act (1996), Regulations for which stipulate the amount of powder and safety cartridges you can store at a given site.  Tis covers all of New Zealand.

2) District Plans, made under the RMA (1991) which also has a say in this.  It deals more with what goes on where within a given territorial local authority (TLA) area.

3)  Some TLAs have quantities for each specified under older legislation because they have not yet adopted to or made changes to comply with more recent legislation.  These quantities depend upon whether you are in an area zoned "residential", "Industrial", "Rural" etc.  Only way to sort this one is to check out the District Plan for wherever you live.

When I looked into it late in 2012, Dunedin City Council was attempting to specify the quantities of black powder, smokeless propellants, and small arms ammunition you could store under its District Plan (DP).  The old one did not apparently know about black powder, because it did not mention it, and this implied a zero quantity could be stored in residential areas.  Not bad, considering the DCC also had the use of a cannon which it arranged to be fired on ceremonial occasions by the local black powder shooters, who perhaps lived outside the DCC area!

When I compared the proposed quantities with those set by other TLAs, there was quite some differences.  Most were still observing quantities implied and set under the old Explosives Act (1957).  Few were getting under way with what the HASNO At (1996) permitted).

This is a real dogs breakfast, you need to check each TLA for what is sets (there are now only 89 of them!).

4)  As we now know, Insurance companies are another can of works entirely.  Their figures are derived from heaven knows where, and we need to comply with those as well.  In some areas, under some policies, you are allowed a can of propellant powder in the house (for immediate use).  The rest must be locked away in a separate building.

Given the ease with which we suspect insurance companies can wriggle out of providing cover, it might be best to insist upon a written statement from the insurance firm, specific to your household insurance policy, and stick to that.

5) Sorry for the run around here, but as you can see there are three or four pieces of law which must be followed.

Enjoy!

IP Logged

possumtrapper
Forum Senior

Why am i at the computer
when deer live outside?

Reply #39 - Nov 17th, 2013 at 1:30am
Print Post  
i asked EPA this very question about storage of powder a few months back this is the reply i got.

Quote:
Good morning ********,

Small arms ammunitions (safety ammunition) of class 1.4S is only required to be stored under lock and key in a cool, dry place, and must be stored separately from firearms. Smokeless powder of class 1.3C must also be stored under lock and key in a cool, dry place when in quantities below 15 kg (net explosive quantity). Beyond this quantity, other regulatory controls come into force requiring the person storing the substance to possess an approved handler certificate and to establish a hazardous substance location at the place where the substance is stored.

There may also be requirements under the Arms Act 1983 which you may need to meet.

Kindest regards

Inbound Customer Service Operator

Compliance Information

Environmental Protection Authority · Level 10 · 215 Lambton Quay · Private Bag 63002 · Wellington 6140 · New Zealand

Note he says "there may be other requirements under the Arms Act 1983 regarding storage" i went through it and there's nothing in there that says it must be stored off site. that phrase only occurs in the Arms Code Which we know isn't allways supported in law.

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1983/0044/latest/whole.html

IP Logged

mauser308
Donor Member

Reply #40 - Mar 28th, 2014 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
There is a catch-all somewhere in the HSNO Act that requires all DG's that are not covered under 'consumer commodity' or 'private use' limits (whatever you want to call them - this is things like spraycans of flyspray with flammable propellants etc) to be stored or transported separately to a dwelling or a space designed for occupation by a person.

A dwelling is obviously a space designed for human occupancy, so there is a bit of room for debate with industrial buildings where someone happens to sleep and the like but most houses, flats,campers, boats and apartments fit the description of dwelling.

Where this gets interesting, is with things like LPG gas bottles and Acetylene or petrol containers and the like, you can run into issues with having them in your van or car as that is also the passenger compartment.  I believe that there is a change or clarification in the works that if you carry those products in a vehicle for work they need to be isolated from the passenger compartment.  This would mean either a ute, or a gas-tight externally vented (and expensive) compartment. 

So far this doesn't look like flowing back to private as far as I have heard I guess due to enforcement issues, but this is the current trend and does effect us all as far as ammunition and powders and storage.

Basically, at the end of it - if you keep the absolute minimum on hand and try to store it outside of your house/attached garage etc in a separate dry and cool location you should be fine.

IP Logged

possumtrapper
Forum Senior

Why am i at the computer
when deer live outside?

Reply #41 - Mar 29th, 2014 at 3:40am
Print Post  
mauser308 wrote on Mar 28th, 2014 at 9:56pm:
There is a catch-all somewhere in the HSNO Act that requires all DG's that are not covered under 'consumer commodity' or 'private use' limits (whatever you want to call them - this is things like spraycans of flyspray with flammable propellants etc) to be stored or transported separately to a dwelling or a space designed for occupation by a person.

A dwelling is obviously a space designed for human occupancy, so there is a bit of room for debate with industrial buildings where someone happens to sleep and the like but most houses, flats,campers, boats and apartments fit the description of dwelling.

Where this gets interesting, is with things like LPG gas bottles and Acetylene or petrol containers and the like, you can run into issues with having them in your van or car as that is also the passenger compartment.  I believe that there is a change or clarification in the works that if you carry those products in a vehicle for work they need to be isolated from the passenger compartment.  This would mean either a ute, or a gas-tight externally vented (and expensive) compartment. 

So far this doesn't look like flowing back to private as far as I have heard I guess due to enforcement issues, but this is the current trend and does effect us all as far as ammunition and powders and storage.

Basically, at the end of it - if you keep the absolute minimum on hand and try to store it outside of your house/attached garage etc in a separate dry and cool location you should be fine.

Powder and small arms ammo come under private use (unless you're selling it as part of a business.) As pointed out earlier no legal requirement exists under the HSNO act or within the arms act  for the storage of power with a net explosive content of 15kg or less to be outside or separate to a dwelling, only "That it is stored under lock and key in a cool dry place" in quantities above that however the other conditions come into effect (storage magazine Test certifier etc.)

there may however be local bylaws that have other storage requirements. Smiley

IP Logged

vorno
Donor Member

Don't blink

Reply #42 - Aug 4th, 2015 at 1:29am
Print Post  
So far from reading this thread I've been able to surmise the following:

Arms code appears pretty clear:
It is illegal to store any propellant powders in a house. It must be stored in a separate building, such as a locked garden shed

However, trying to find the specific law that makes it illegal appears unknown? For example what is the specific charge that you would be laid with for breaching this "law".
As you've said the Arms Act mentions nothing, as does the HSNO apparently. Well.. nothing useful.

Would be good if they allowed for certain storage provisions; it is basically impossible if you live in an apartment complex.

Definitely worth them reviewing the code & I am sure that there has been plenty of back & forth communication with the police on this subject (or has there been?).

IP Logged

possumtrapper
Forum Senior

Why am i at the computer
when deer live outside?

Reply #43 - Aug 4th, 2015 at 2:21am
Print Post  
vorno wrote on Aug 4th, 2015 at 1:29am:
So far from reading this thread I've been able to surmise the following:

Arms code appears pretty clear:
It is illegal to store any propellant powders in a house. It must be stored in a separate building, such as a locked garden shed

However, trying to find the specific law that makes it illegal appears unknown? For example what is the specific charge that you would be laid with for breaching this "law".
As you've said the Arms Act mentions nothing, as does the HSNO apparently. Well.. nothing useful.

Would be good if they allowed for certain storage provisions; it is basically impossible if you live in an apartment complex.

Definitely worth them reviewing the code & I am sure that there has been plenty of back & forth communication with the police on this subject (or has there been?).

yeah Arms code isn't the Arms Act Smiley that phrase doesn't appear to exist in legislation. Smiley

IP Logged

Ruger260
Forum Senior

It makes good reading

Reply #44 - Aug 4th, 2015 at 4:36am
Print Post  
Check The Arms Regulations.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards