Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Rifle powder storage. (Read 25857 times)
AgentMi6
Ex Member

Re: Rifle powder storage.
Reply #15 - Dec 6th, 2007 at 11:05am
Print Post  
[quote author=Aquila link=1187553796/0#14 date=1196937615
I don't like the neighbour on that side anyway..... [/quote]

Smiley Storage sorted then Smiley

IP Logged

45SOUTH

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #16 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
Quote:
[quote author=Aquila link=1187553796/0#14 date=1196937615
I don't like the neighbour on that side anyway.....

Smiley Storage sorted then Smiley

[/quote]hi guys their is a lot to be talked about here 1 if you buy any more than 5 kg you are ment to have and  need a apporedhanders ticket as i found out the other day when i got another 56kg into stock . i use a expolvise magazine to store mine in but that now dose not meet the law any more . and a new mag is going to cost over $3000 dollars . my advise look around for a old safe line it with rubber abd ply and that will do .

IP Logged

leathel
Forum Font

Hunting / Fishing, Its
all good!!

Reply #17 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 8:08pm
Print Post  

45SOUTH wrote on Jul 24th, 2008 at 8:03pm:
hi guys their is a lot to be talked about here 1 if you buy any more than 5 kg you are ment to have and  need a apporedhanders ticket as i found out the other day when i got another 56kg into stock . i use a expolvise magazine to store mine in but that now dose not meet the law any more . and a new mag is going to cost over $3000 dollars . my advise look around for a old safe line it with rubber abd ply and that will do .

So do you have the N560 back in stock then, Could do with some, will email...

IP Logged

crzyman
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 1:27am
Print Post  
leathel wrote on Jul 24th, 2008 at 8:08pm:
45SOUTH wrote on Jul 24th, 2008 at 8:03pm:
hi guys their is a lot to be talked about here 1 if you buy any more than 5 kg you are ment to have and  need a apporedhanders ticket as i found out the other day when i got another 56kg into stock . i use a expolvise magazine to store mine in but that now dose not meet the law any more . and a new mag is going to cost over $3000 dollars . my advise look around for a old safe line it with rubber abd ply and that will do .

So do you have the N560 back in stock then, Could do with some, will email...

he has always had some but hes to mean to pass some around Grin

IP Logged

HiTop
Forum Font

Tops by dawn, a day in
heaven

Reply #19 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 2:47am
Print Post  
Quote:
hi guys their is a lot to be talked about here 1 if you buy any more than 5 kg you are ment to have and  need a apporedhanders ticket as i found out the other day when i got another 56kg into stock . i use a expolvise magazine to store mine in but that now dose not meet the law any more . and a new mag is going to cost over $3000 dollars . my advise look around for a old safe line it with rubber abd ply and that will do .

Have you got a document that clearly lays out the requirements?  Apart from a COLFO presentation I have I can't seem to find any one piece of verbiage that explains the regulations clearly and completely.
As it stands it appears any of us storing < 15kg powder for our use only need to store it in a secure place apart from any dwelling.  Retails appear to just need a certified moveable shipping container to store > 50 kgs for sale and have someone with an approved handlers certificate available when moving the stuff about or selling it.

IP Logged

scroat
Ex Member

I Love my second wife(currently)

Reply #20 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 8:56am
Print Post  
as with all insurance--- iff you take the piss you will get burnt----'pun intended'
1 tin will be at the end of the day be regarded as acceptable--------- commonsense  rules...!!!!!!!!
exterior storage to a dwelling is the only acceptable( i.e completely seperate) storage off excessive amounts--- which as far as insurance and the police are concerned is AN OPINION off the person you are dealing with at that time.........
the end result is that--- if you expose yourself to an unreasonable risk --- you may get an unexpected and unreasonable result if the shite hits the fan...!!!!!!!!!!!

ps --- dont forget the fact that  you can always go and get more when you need it ,,, which also gives you the chance to go and play with the toys in the gun room and all the other "goodies" ----- yeha and amen to that..!!!!!! Grin

IP Logged

Aquila
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
Legislation for those wanting the law, not factsheets.

Explosives Act 1957

http://gpacts.knowledge-basket.co.nz/gpacts/reprint/text/1957/an/019.html

Explosives Authorisation Order 1994 (SR 1994/5) (as at 03 September 2007)

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/1994/0005/latest/whole.html#DLM...

IP Logged

Grantman

National Shooters Association

Reply #22 - Aug 28th, 2008 at 1:06am
Print Post  
Okay.. after reading this thread I can assume that I cannot reload because I have no dwelling separate from the house to keep the propellant, my garage is part of the house with bedrooms over it.  That's just @#!%.  Blasted regulations.

IP Logged

scroat
Ex Member

I Love my second wife(currently)

Reply #23 - Aug 29th, 2008 at 7:08am
Print Post  
Grantman wrote on Aug 28th, 2008 at 1:06am:
Okay.. after reading this thread I can assume that I cannot reload because I have no dwelling separate from the house to keep the propellant, my garage is part of the house with bedrooms over it.  That's just @#!%.  Blasted regulations.

no ---dude you got the wrong end off the stick---------------yes you can,,,,,,,,,,,,, but you are a fool if you go over top with amassing the mother load off primers and powder if "an unfortunate event occurs" Grin-- after which , im sure the hole in your back yard will become an instant tourist attraction...! Cheesy

IP Logged

Grantman

National Shooters Association

Reply #24 - Aug 29th, 2008 at 7:18am
Print Post  
oh  Embarrassed  The thread isn't very clear.  I understood that legislation required powder and so on to be stored securely apart from the dwelling.  I'm sure a pinch of powder and several primers will be as safe as the lawnmower gas down there  Wink .  Where is the info I missed telling me I'm free to have this stuff secured in my garage?

IP Logged

PALMYHUNTER

SAKO 7mm08, 120gn Barnes
TSX

Reply #25 - Dec 29th, 2008 at 7:33am
Print Post  
Knowing insurance companies and the fact that they will use any reason they can not to pay out on a policy I would get there OK for storage in your house in writing from them.

Wouldn't want to find out later that the claims deparment say no you broke the law and we ain't paying.

303 Epps, 22 Hornet, 7.62x39mm Mauser 98

IP Logged

Ginzu8
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Jan 29th, 2010 at 9:28am
Print Post  
I just re read the firearm code. So you cant have the gun powder stored in the house. got to be seperate build. so even if the insurance guy say its okay, but law wise you still breaking the law right? Stupid if you ask me.

Might have to store it in the boot of my car since its a seperate building to the house itself and its locked in the boot..  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Dunk
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Jul 16th, 2010 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I just re read the firearm code. So you cant have the gun powder stored in the house. got to be seperate build.   Roll Eyes

I still havent found that part of a code or law..... any links?

IP Logged

Monsterbishi
Forum Font

Christchurch, NZ<br />

Reply #28 - Jul 31st, 2010 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I still havent found that part of a code or law..... any links?

Page 26, arms code:

"It is illegal to store any propellant powders in a house.
It must be stored in a separate building, such as a locked
garden shed"

<div style=

mauser308
Donor Member

Reply #29 - Jun 13th, 2011 at 2:58am
Print Post  
This is involved in the explosives regulations, which is now covered under the HSNO Act I believe under the section on storage of Class 1 Hazardous Goods.

Basically, you are committing an offense under this legislation if you allow your dwelling house, or any structure attached to your dwelling house, to be used for the storage of Class 1 materials.  Under this legislation there is also no non-notifiable or consumer-commodity or 'small-packet' limit, whatever you want to call it.  Any amount of Class 1 is a notifiable substance unless it is used in the structure or safety systems of a vehicle apparently (airbags)...  This also includes flares, 5th Nov fireworks etc etc etc.

There are design standards that need to be enforced on the storage of Class 1.4 which is basically what ammunition is, regarding the use of suitable locks, gas paths to prevent the storage container turning into a bomb if the C1.4 gets cracking blah blah.

Basically no storage in a dwelling house of any DG's unless it meets the maximum size limit of amounts for consumer commodities...  Sorry but that means no Ammo or Powder or Primers stored in the house!!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards