Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Caring for your Kahawai (Read 26773 times)
Sikahill
Forum Senior

Life is a journey,not
a destination-Enjoy the
ride

Caring for your Kahawai
Feb 25th, 2007 at 11:10am
Print Post  
It amazes me sometimes at the lack of knowledge on how to prepare fish for the table - grown adults never having filleted a fish before.
This post attempts to help those of you who want to know how to prepare a kahawai for the table. Some of you will love smoked Kahawai (I don't), some of you will love it raw in a lemon juice marinade then coconut creme (its lovely) and I heard it makes a lovely fish pie.  I choose to eat the fillets dusted in wholemeal flour and fried in Olive Oil or butter. If it has been cared for it tastes pretty good. Of course those of you with access to good snapper fishing or even a boat will prefer better eating fish. The simple Kahawai is a meritorious catch to surfcasters and probably makes up 90% of the catch of most beach fisherman. So for those of you who are happy to catch Kahawai and feed the family for a night or two here goes.

First catch yourself a nice fat kahawai - it doesnt have to be big. Cut under the gills to free the head and let the claret flow. Keep out of the sun until ready to fillet. I use a wet potato sack to store them in and leave in the shade. We surfcasters dont have the luxury of carrying bags of ice, especially when we dont know if we are going to catch anything at all. For those of you with ice, well that is the best of course to lie the fish in until ready to fillet.

I dont bother to scale them. It makes one hell of a mess and you end up finding scales everywhere and they stick like sh*t to a blanket. Note in the photo the beast of a reel. Its a real workhorse and smooth as silk. A shimano thunnus 16000F for those of you who are interested. Find your wifes "hang out the washing table" sharpen the knife and lay down newspaper to save leaving scales all over the table.

Make a diagonal cut in behind the pectoral fin as shown.

Next cut from the top of the back down one side of the fish. Your knife will need to be sharp otherwise you'll butcher it.

Make sure you keep your knife against the bone so as not to waste any. As you go peel back the fillet so you can see what sort of job you are doing. You'll hit the backbone so just angle the knife around it using light strokes of the knife.

You'll then get to the ribcage and most fish also have a lateral line of bones you'll just have to cut through. Carefully work your way around the ribcage. In some fish there is stuff all meet around the ribcage so dont be too fussy here. Just make sure you dont leave any ribcage in the fillet itself.

At the bottom of the rib cage you should be able to lie the fillet in an open position

The sever the fillet at the bottom. I dont take any of the bottom fins with the fillet.

Turn the fish over and do the same to the other side. The second side is always more difficult to get a nice fillet close to the bone as the fish has lost all of its support and rigidity.

The frame left over can be used in your compost, or cray bait or even....

But seriously  chooks wont be effective enough and it'll stink to high hell if left out in the sun.

Next you need to get the skin off. On a fresh piece of newspaper (no slime!) hold the tail of the fillet with your thumb and angle the knife in.

Keep the knife angle as shown (angled down towards the skin) and gently move up the fish movin the knife back and forth folding back the fillet as you go. Be careful not to cut through the skin  - trick is to get the right angle right on the knife

After you have got the skin off both fillets you need to remove the red meat as it tastes disgusting and ruins the eating experience. Looking at the back side of the fillet, make an angle cut right along the length of the fish as shown along the red meat line

Peel back the red meat as you go. This cut actually splits the fillet length ways into two and takes out the lateral bones and red meat in one go.

Trim the rest of the red meat and place in a dish ready for cooking.

Now dispose of the frame and skin   Wink

I hope you enjoy your fish!

I forgot to add, under no circumstances do you wash your fillets in fresh water. I prefer to not wash at all. It screws the meat.

IP Logged

DUCKSLAYER
Forum Font

Re: Caring for your Kahawai
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 11:20am
Print Post  
thats a lot of work what a waste of snappa bait Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

MADNESS
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 11:23am
Print Post  
nice informative post sikahill Cool
i bet the chook was pissed off when it lost the frame to the pigs  Grin

Despite the rising cost of living it still remains popular

IP Logged

blackbunny
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #3 - Feb 26th, 2007 at 12:31am
Print Post  
That's a great guide Sikahill, thanks for posting it. I have made it a sticky so that it stays at the top of the forum for a while.

Dear Noah,
We could have sworn you said the ark wasn't leaving till 5.
Sincerely, Unicorns

IP Logged

paora
Forum Font

FnH member since 2005

Reply #4 - Feb 26th, 2007 at 3:10am
Print Post  
pigs got the best parts

Make it happen!

IP Logged

kawhia
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 26th, 2007 at 6:49am
Print Post  
good post mate, few tips to get rid of that red meat, soon as ya catch them poke ya thumb though the gills and rip it through the bottom and pull back the head as soon as you get the hook out, wriggle the fish while it bleeds...........snappa bait my arse duckslaya lol, best dog tucker you can get if you have a few spare Wink.............also doing the first half cuts on both sides will give you two even fillets

IP Logged

DUCKSLAYER
Forum Font

Reply #6 - Feb 26th, 2007 at 6:51am
Print Post  
Smiley

IP Logged

shoby
Forum Senior

I cannot resist The FishNhunt
Forum

Reply #7 - Feb 26th, 2007 at 8:34am
Print Post  
Thanks for sharing sikahill. Much appreciated!

Be like a postage stamp, stick to one thing until you get there.

IP Logged

Sikahill
Forum Senior

Life is a journey,not
a destination-Enjoy the
ride

Reply #8 - Feb 26th, 2007 at 10:08am
Print Post  
I forgot to add - while I was outside doing the photos for this photo essay, my wife was inside going through the early stages of labour.
Hows that for dedication to the fish n hunt forum
Grin Grin Grin Grin

Kawhia

Good points mate - I'll try that in future - always learning on this forum!

IP Logged

Hicksville

If yer can't fish in heaven,
I don't wanna go!

Reply #9 - Mar 2nd, 2007 at 10:25am
Print Post  
Sikahill, was it a Harry or a Harriette? Cool

Oooo! Look, is that an alpacca?

IP Logged

Sikahill
Forum Senior

Life is a journey,not
a destination-Enjoy the
ride

Reply #10 - Mar 5th, 2007 at 12:42am
Print Post  
A girl Hicksville - "Ella"

Another fisherwoman in the making although my wife is keen for hunting to be her first love. Either or suits me.

IP Logged

Beaker
Forum Font

very happy with my life

Reply #11 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 8:23am
Print Post  
Congratulations on the daughter  Smiley

Kahawai is a grossly undervalued fish but certainly high on my target list. the younger yellow spotted ones are the best eating but those big grey backed ocean going jobs can be pretty good to if properly looked after.

A small tip, soak the fillets in milk for a few hours before cooking sweetens them up qhite a bit, much more better  Smiley

IP Logged

TimboB
Forum Font

A few feathers short of
a whole duck...

Reply #12 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 3:15am
Print Post  
Congrats on the daughter mate!  Cheesy I'm sure she'll be a fine hunter AND fisher!

Kahawai - the chicken of the sea!

I hope your wife didn't see you using her washing basket table to fillet fish, or I'm sure your new daughter would have popped right out! May have made the labour thing easier anyway!!   Grin

I'm gonna fear God, love my neighbour, and hunt ducks.

IP Logged

Jackie
Ex Member

Reply #13 - May 4th, 2009 at 7:05am
Print Post  
As a Newcomer to this site and to fishing ( Ive been fishing all of 4 weeks now, and I even scale gut and fillet them!!!! Smiley...I just wanted to thank you for your post. I actually caught my first Kahawai off Foxton Beach wharf last week, and wasnt it a thrill!!!! Mind you my arms ached like the hell the following day !!!

I did a pretty good job of filleting it (well I thought I did untill I saw your post!) I simply made up a batter and cooked it that way and believe you me it was delicious!!!!

I can't believe that this old girl has become totally hooked on fishing, I wake up every morning and drag my husband down to the wharf, and we usually spend 5 to 6 hours just loving the whole deal.

Any tips hints on this marvelous sport will be very welcomed from me!

IP Logged

Sikahill
Forum Senior

Life is a journey,not
a destination-Enjoy the
ride

Reply #14 - May 4th, 2009 at 8:34am
Print Post  
Youre welcome

IP Logged

surfa
Just Joined

Reply #15 - Jun 7th, 2009 at 5:39am
Print Post  
Sikahill wrote on Feb 25th, 2007 at 11:10am:
Turn the fish over and do the same to the other side. The second side is always more difficult to get a nice fillet close to the bone as the fish has lost all of its support and rigidity.

I find the 2nd side of the fish fillets much easier if the first side is not completely taken off the fish, before starting the 2nd side. That way it keeps it's support/rigidty and sits on the filleting bench properly.

This applies to all fish not just Kahawai.

Sorry if this has come up before?

Nice post! It's good to see well filleted fish. Some blokes are so rough...

IP Logged

BTMO
Forum Font

Show them you care. Stalk
them.

Reply #16 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
I have a request...

Smiley

I am doing a masters project on kahawai genetics, and have samples from all over the north island, but *every* time I take my camera with me, I don't catch fish.

If anyone has some decent photos of whole kahawai that I can use to illustrate my thesis, I would be very grateful.

Also, if anyone from the South Island catches kahawai regularly, please PM me - I'd love to get some small samples from fish from there. I will of course provide sample instructions, collection tubes with preservative in them and return courier bags.

Ooo... and if anyone from the far north is reading this, and can tell the difference between kahawai (Arripis trutta) and Kermadec kahawai (Arripis xylabion), I would be *very* keen to see some photos / get some tissue samples!

Cheers,

Brenton

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an id10t. (Steven Wright)

IP Logged

leathel
Forum Font

Hunting / Fishing, Its
all good!!

Reply #17 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 12:16am
Print Post  

I thought I would have a few on the work computer....but that was it....Will have a look at home I think there are some we caught on Marlin gear Tongue

IP Logged

BTMO
Forum Font

them.

Reply #18 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 1:16am
Print Post  
Some of those kahawai look a *hell* of a lot like trevally...

... science student, remember? You can't fool me!

Wink

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an id10t. (Steven Wright)

IP Logged

leathel
Forum Font

Hunting / Fishing, Its
all good!!

Reply #19 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 1:20am
Print Post  
BTMO wrote on Jun 25th, 2009 at 1:16am:
Some of those kahawai look a *hell* of a lot like trevally...

... science student, remember? You can't fool me!

Wink

I should have some better photos of the kahawai in the back Roll Eyes....and yip I do believe the ones in front might not be kahawai ....or so I have been told once Tongue

IP Logged

BTMO
Forum Font

them.

Reply #20 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 1:33am
Print Post  
Hey - I am such a great fisherman, that when I started my MSc, I thought "sweet - this will be a doddle".

Three months, and 4 fish later, I started getting in contact with the RFC, the Kahawai Action Group, the fishing companies, kids on wharves...

Pretty much anytime I *need* a fish, I can't get one. Same thing goes with hunting, actually...

I now have a couple hundred samples, which means my thesis is coming along, but my partner is getting real joy out of my fishing ineptitude. Women a like that...

You have some stunning fish there, mate!!

Cheesy

IP Logged

leathel
Forum Font

Hunting / Fishing, Its
all good!!

Reply #21 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 2:05am
Print Post  
BTMO wrote on Jun 25th, 2009 at 1:33am:
You have some stunning fish there, mate!!

Cheesy

Just a quick trip to the waikato river mouth with a mate, his daughter my son .....most were caught in half an hour but stuck at it for another hour and got a couple more.. Usualy plenty of kahawai and trevs to be had, And if the bars flat even better but I dont take the kids out there Wink

IP Logged

DUCKSLAYER
Forum Font

Reply #22 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 3:22am
Print Post  
we regularly catch kahawai between 2.5 to 3kg and bigger there is a just under20lber on the wall in a gamefish club to which i cant remember which club?
i do not have many photos of kahawai but
here is an average size one i caught recently of the rocks just down the road

IP Logged

BTMO
Forum Font

them.

Reply #23 - Jun 26th, 2009 at 10:27am
Print Post  
Nice!

Cheesy

IP Logged

gusdog
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #24 - Jul 3rd, 2009 at 12:33am
Print Post  
nice post i think the most important thing with filleting fish is practice practice practice ... Smiley

IP Logged

GameHunter
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Jul 3rd, 2009 at 4:43am
Print Post  
Kahawai would have to be one of the most underrated table fish around. I have been bought up on smoked and pan fried kahawai and either way it is delicious. If I marinate kahawai I usually do it with white or spiced vinegar with lemon juice overnight then make a mayonaise out of the marinade and highland condensed milk as i have never been a fan of coconut cream.

IP Logged

Spearfisher

Hunt and Gather

Reply #26 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 11:10am
Print Post  

theres one of the several kahawai in this pic. had to give the rest to a father and son at the boat ramp who were catching sprats,

FISHDIVENHUNT and i had a lucky day on the water

IP Logged

scottrods
Forum Font

Aim small, Hit small

Reply #27 - Mar 13th, 2010 at 6:06am
Print Post  
Just had lovely fish curry tonight made with Kahawai. My son who usually turns up his nose at fish ate it all and said he pretended it was chicken but nicer.  Grin

The fillets were from a 7lber I got on the fly about 1mth ago and froze.

Kids who learn to Hunt and Fish,
Don't learn to Steal and Deal.

IP Logged

Tone
Forum Font

Papamoa

Reply #28 - Mar 13th, 2010 at 8:28am
Print Post  
7lb? Good shit mate

IP Logged

newcomer

Reply #29 - Apr 25th, 2010 at 11:51pm
Print Post  
Good job, thanks for sharing
I do filleting same way but  also using bones and heads to cook delicious  Tongue soup.
Smiley

IP Logged

dave-gizzy
Ex Member

Reply #30 - Jul 6th, 2010 at 8:59am
Print Post  
great stuff,the cat does nearly as good a job as the pigs Wink

IP Logged

gizzy-mike
Forum Font

OUT AND ABOUT

Reply #31 - Dec 14th, 2010 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
i smoked up afew kahawai this week with lemon pepper to try somthing different, it was bloody nice. any other recipies for smoking fish out there? Smiley

ive lost enuf brain cells, they are now at a managable level.

IP Logged

mouse7mm08
Just Joined

Reply #32 - Mar 19th, 2011 at 8:00am
Print Post  
yeah nothing wrong with kahawai mate i smoke mine with a brown sugar and bourbon paste

IP Logged

highcountry

Preserve our game animals,
join NZDA

Reply #33 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 7:06am
Print Post  
Nothing wrong with the red meat man just eat it.

IP Logged

Dan I Am
Just Joined

Reply #34 - Mar 7th, 2012 at 7:14am
Print Post  
Good stuff nothing wrong with smoked fish pie

IP Logged

jwingill
Donor Member

Reply #35 - Mar 16th, 2012 at 7:52am
Print Post  
Now you've been educated in how to fillet them try this.
Take only the white fillets.  Layer in a baking dish with sliced onions, sliced tomatoes, and other layer fish, onions tomatoes etc etc cover  with milk, big nob butter, peppper & salt, cover, bake in  hot oven for 1 hour, similar texture as crayfish.  Can add morney mix if you wish.

IP Logged

super swamper

brown trout

Reply #36 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 8:47am
Print Post  
good post,
very handy Smiley

We all live and die. It's, what you do in between that counts.

IP Logged

day in lew
Donor Member

the worst day fishing
is always better than
work

Reply #37 - Oct 14th, 2012 at 10:27am
Print Post  
down here we smoke em yes so under rated as a table fish try using for chowder fantastic

IP Logged

ANT
Forum Font

Reply #38 - Mar 25th, 2013 at 8:15am
Print Post  
jwingill wrote on Mar 16th, 2012 at 7:52am:
Now you've been educated in how to fillet them try this.
Take only the white fillets.  Layer in a baking dish with sliced onions, sliced tomatoes, and other layer fish, onions tomatoes etc etc cover  with milk, big nob butter, peppper & salt, cover, bake in  hot oven for 1 hour, similar texture as crayfish.  Can add morney mix if you wish.

Have done this with Kingfish, it's good! Don't forget the parsley. Smiley

So many CATS , so FEW recipes!
My girlfriend thinks I'm a Stalker..Well she's not EXACTLY my girlfriend, yet!
IP Logged

twitchy123

Reply #39 - Sep 3rd, 2013 at 11:41am
Print Post  
Lucky pigs!

IP Logged

crayman

Reply #40 - Jun 30th, 2014 at 10:15am
Print Post  
Sikahill wrote
I forgot to add, under no circumstances do you wash your fillets in fresh water. I prefer to not wash at all. It screws the meat.

You are so right, no salt water fish should be put anywhere near fresh water. Not only does it affect the flavour but hastens the natural process of decay so the fish will not keep as well. Take home some sea water to wash the fillets if you need to.
Great "How to"

IP Logged

smudge

Wannabe hunter

Reply #41 - Jul 1st, 2014 at 11:00am
Print Post  
Wow a 5yr old thread still going. I'm a keen kahawai catcher and we eat plenty of them. I fillet them exactly as Sikahill shows in the first post. Kahawai are great fresh but IMO they don't keep well. I've not caught any monster fish, my biggest wasn't bad at 3.6kg and I wasn't really into taking pics back then, even if it was only 4 years ago. They are great fun to catch and you can get them on virtually any rig or set up.

Grunter Hunter

IP Logged

madmaxwell
Just Joined

Reply #42 - Apr 16th, 2015 at 5:57am
Print Post  
  Great post.  Chicken of the sea. . . .if done right Smiley

IP Logged

Loudy
Just Joined

Cut em, cut em!!!

Reply #43 - Aug 5th, 2015 at 10:04am
Print Post  
Nice article mate, well written. Those bodies good for a fish stew/soup my in-laws reckon, can't even stand in the house when they are cooking it, bloody rank.

IP Logged

Viking
Forum Font

Life is for living--not
for worrying

Reply #44 - Aug 6th, 2015 at 4:17am
Print Post  
smudge wrote on Jul 1st, 2014 at 11:00am:
Wow a 5yr old thread still going. I'm a keen kahawai catcher and we eat plenty of them. I fillet them exactly as Sikahill shows in the first post. Kahawai are great fresh but IMO they don't keep well. I've not caught any monster fish, my biggest wasn't bad at 3.6kg and I wasn't really into taking pics back then, even if it was only 4 years ago. They are great fun to catch and you can get them on virtually any rig or set up.

We were cruising across the front of Tryphena a couple of years ago, there was the odd Kahawai plopping about so the Chch boys I had with me put a couple of lures out, and we got 4 Kahawai over 4kg!!! The biggest was 4.7!! Amazing fish Smiley

IP Logged

MADNESS
Forum Font

Reply #45 - Aug 6th, 2015 at 7:33am
Print Post  
Caught one many years ago off the kaipara the went 8.2kg. Thought it was a kingi when we got the first glimpse of it. A f**ken horse of a kahawai

Despite the rising cost of living it still remains popular

IP Logged

Alan
Administrator
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #46 - Jan 12th, 2016 at 8:43am
Print Post  
I just love eating kahawai.... caught 317 of them over xmas.... 2 of us....  Ill upload a video of another way of filleting them...

Co-leader NZ Outdoors Party http://www.outdoorsparty.co.nz
IP Logged

crayman

Reply #47 - Jan 12th, 2016 at 8:58am
Print Post  
Yep, highly under rated. Awesome tally by the way.

IP Logged

Alan
Administrator
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #48 - Jan 12th, 2016 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
yere they were no big but great eating size and my half were all caught on a fly...

Co-leader NZ Outdoors Party http://www.outdoorsparty.co.nz
IP Logged

Tama
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #49 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
Could you update these photos please Sikahill it only shows photobucket

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards