Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic The Old Buggers X the Ruahines.(with a few pics) (Read 6004 times)
brucec
Ex Member

The Old Buggers X the Ruahines.(with a few pics)
Jan 24th, 2007 at 10:26am
Print Post  
The Old Buggers Cross the Ruahines.

Cooch had always wanted to walk across the Ruahines. I think it came from his interest in the exploring of Colenso, and an interest in the history of the central Ruahines. His ancestors had farmed against the ranges too. I used to live at Mangaweka, so also have an interest in the area.

I can understand Cooch’s interest in history, but why he waited ‘till we were both historic to do it I will never know.

Anyway, the last time we were in the Ruahines (with Whereami), Cooch and I planned the crossing for Wellington’s anniversary weekend. I had done quite a bit of hunting and armed tramping over Christmas and Cooch’s hunting and work keeps him fit, so we reckoned we were up to it. Whereami thought we were bonkers. My knees were a bit of a worry, but with adequate binding with swaddling cloth I would make it.

Cooch had enough sense to not take a rifle. I didn’t.

We have both hunted most of the Ruahines, but the route we planned to take included areas neither of us have visited.

Friday evening saw us dropped off at the Purity hut track in behind Mangaweka, which for the first hour goes through farm land, and then an hour or so through the bush. We arrived at the hut at about 7pm. Purity hut is brand new, and Cooch had spent a day doing voluntary work on it. It was a little clagged in, but we got some nice views, pics and video. This wasn’t new country to us, so we were keen to get over the first set of tops and into new country.

Saturday morning we were on the track at about 8am, after being treated to a carpet of cloud that I’m sure we could have walked across to Ruapehu. I would have done it too, but if the cloud cleared while I was over there I would have not been able to walk back.

The first milestone of the day was the high point “Wooden Peg”, then “Iron Peg”, and then the highest point in the Ruahines “Mangaweka”. It was stinking hot. The cloud was under us for most of the day, but it never got any higher or caught up with us.

From Mangaweka it was a long and steep decent down “Trig Creek” into the Kawhatau river. Beautiful country, and worth a return trip for a hunt. As for our hunting…it just didn’t seem a priority…so the Ruger became a passenger. In any event, the wind always seemed to be at our backs, and we were enjoying the scenery far too much.

Eventually we hit the Kawhatau river and its beautiful river flats, and eventually Waterfall hut. Nimrods name was in the hut book, so now our names are amongst this illustrious company. In fact, as we approached the hut we discussed if Nimrod would be standing in the hut door. We decided no, because if he was we would have started striking fresh carcasses between the entry of the  creek he would have come down from east, and the hut. We assessed, like many hunters before us, that this would be a great base to hunt from. But we had some pressing engagements, so at 7.30 Sunday morning we were off up Rangi creek and over into the headwaters of the Waikamaka. A beautiful piece of bush. It rained most of the day, and we were literally blown over the saddle. The saddle is memorable for the views and the profusion of Spaniard plants. Spiney little bitches. This whole area looks pretty damned yummy for a hunt, but we had another 4 hours of walking in front of us, so off we headed down the Waikamaka river (a tight little bugger) heading for  Waikamaka hut. This is not your standard DOC hut, but one established many years ago by the Herautanga tramping club, and still maintained by them. We stopped here for a brew, then it was up a side creek, a steep scramble, a wander though an alpine meadow and there we were in the Waipawa saddle looking down at the Waipawa river and into the Hawkes Bay. A steep decent, plenty of boulder hopping and some monotonous shingle hiking and we were at Waipawa Forks hut. We were now close to civilization, so this hut book had a lot more crap written in it than in the other huts!

The next morning (Monday) was just a short one hour river tramp and we were at our pick up site. Cooch’s brother was there to collect us right on time.

Some impressions: We walked through some fantastic country. Not just for hunting, but just for what it has to offer in terms of diversity, remoteness and history. All of the creeks that we traversed had great slip and face hunting in them.

We saw very little bird life. One falcon and the usual pipits in the tussock and Moreporks calling at night.

The GPScsx was damned handy, but not necessary. We still used a map (and compass).

In terms of difficulty, so long as you know the mountains and respect them, it is a slog but anyone of reasonable fitness could do it. You would need map and compass skills if the tops were fogged in. It is a route, not a track.

We are now planning for our next little adventure…thinking about Smith’s Creek.

I have a half hour video of the trip if anyone is interested. Mainly scenic and human interest. Would be handy for anyone planning a similar trip. PM me with your return address, and I will give you my address to send a blank CD to.

When I receive Cooch's pics I will paste them into this...or maybe post them separately. They will be worth seeing!

BruceC

In the mean time, here are a few taken from my video:

Waterfall Creek hut

Looking South acros the Pouranaki

In the bush on the way up to Rangi Saddle

Rangi saddle

Waipawa River, on easern side of range

An Ode to the crossing

IP Logged

tramper
Donor Member

Re: The Old Buggers X the Ruahines. Pics to follow
Reply #1 - Jan 24th, 2007 at 10:46am
Print Post  
Top story I spend a few days at Waterfall hut last year and it sure is a nice spot.

"The proper function of man is to live, not to exist.  I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them.  I shall use my time." -Jack London

IP Logged

sikaroar
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Jan 24th, 2007 at 10:55am
Print Post  
awesome story to read, really enjoyed it

deadmeat is goodmeat

IP Logged

whereami
Donor Member

Today, you people are
no longer maggots.

Reply #3 - Jan 24th, 2007 at 11:13am
Print Post  
good on ya you crazy old farts Smiley
looking forward to Alexes photos and your vid.

IP Logged

scoped
Forum Font

Reply #4 - Jan 24th, 2007 at 11:58am
Print Post  
good story cant wait for the photos..

Anticipation is half the fun!

IP Logged

brucec
Ex Member

Re: The Old Buggers X the Ruahines.(with a few pic
Reply #5 - Jan 24th, 2007 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
There are now some pics from my video on the end of the story. Cooch's pics still to come.
bc

IP Logged

cb
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jan 24th, 2007 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
thanks bruce. such an eloquent poem.

IP Logged

Huntfish
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Jan 24th, 2007 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
You guys are awesome Cool

IP Logged

NIMROD
Donor Member

Made in New Zealand

Reply #8 - Jan 24th, 2007 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
There may be "snow on the roof" (grey hair) but there's still "fire in the furnace" Wink Wink Wink Good effort.
NIMROD would have been standing in the hut door too if he hadn't been so sure it was going to blow
it's tits off and rain.
Planned a fresh Porterhouse steak each with coctail potato's, minted pea's and fresh cabbage,
followed by a couple of cans of 12% bourban and coke each. Cry Cry Cry
Ah well, next time aye, Tongue Tongue Tongue

Better to Burn out than it is to Rust

IP Logged

Sikahill
Forum Senior

Life is a journey,not
a destination-Enjoy the
ride

Reply #9 - Jan 24th, 2007 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
That was an excellent story. Very enjoyable. And the pics are great. There is so much to discover in the Ruahines. I must say the view south across the Pourangaki is my favourite. I can imagine camping by the tarn and glassing that area - ahhhhhhhhhh.......heaven.

Thanks for the effort you went to. It brightened my day.

IP Logged

excalibur

woot

Reply #10 - Jan 24th, 2007 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
You write a brilliant poem!

hello

IP Logged

HQ
Forum Senior

Boom Boom!

Reply #11 - Jan 24th, 2007 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
awesome stuff!

IP Logged

mick hunter
Donor Member

MMMMMMM CanadiAn

Reply #12 - Jan 24th, 2007 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
A bloody good read Bruce. Loved it. Cool

IP Logged

blackbunny
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #13 - Jan 24th, 2007 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
Go the Old Buggers!!  Cool

Man, I'm worn out now just looking at those pics. Tongue Cheesy

Dear Noah,
We could have sworn you said the ark wasn't leaving till 5.
Sincerely, Unicorns

IP Logged

Waiohine

Reply #14 - Jan 24th, 2007 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
Brilliant.

Rangi Saddle area looks a real grunt.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards